Frustrated with this site...

Go down

Frustrated with this site...

Post by Dr. Radio on Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:40 pm

Maybe no one cares or can relate, by I'm gonna vent.

Most of the time I visit this site on my iPhone 4s running 7.1.2 (I know that's not up to date, but heard horrid things about 8.1 etc and their supposed security fixes).

What happens is the banner ads I see at the top of the pages are for bull**** app games to download that would be fitting if I was a 14 year old girl. If I don't log in, my phone actually takes me away from what I'm trying to read and goes to the app download section wanting me to download whatever garbage is current displayed at the top of each page!!! I have to reopen the internet browser and attempt to go back to what I'm doing , and it happens again until I log in. I don't want to have to log in every time just to read your posts.

And I sure don't want to install and play "panda bubble pop" "treasure search" and whatever else seeming apparent spyware-like ads try to derail my experience here.

A few weeks ago it was so bad I couldn't even log in, I couldn't even finish typing my user name before the app download "page" interrupted me to down load "kitten adventure" or whatever bull**** of the day was.

What's going on? My end? Website end?

You're probably laughing, but other then the tutorials and pics, 99% of my time on this site is with my smart phone.

Sigh. Off soap box!
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Frustrated with this site...

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:24 pm

I'm sorry you are having issues.

I would respectfully suggest that you PM either Bill or MEZLAW. Perhaps they could give you more information, and can be of more help than I. You can vent anytime you like, Doc.
WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:57 pm

Sorry to hear about the popups, but It's good you speak your piece about it. I must have a pretty good blocker as I don't get assailed by such stuff. Is there anything like adblock plus that could be used with your phone?
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:36 am

No ads here either. I have a few computers I check this site and never see the ads. Could these ads be added on the phone and not necesarry with this site?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1420
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:04 am

willy3486 wrote:No ads here either. I have a few computers I check this site and never see the ads. Could these ads be added on the phone and not necesarry with this site?

I agree when I originally set the parameters for viewing, only visitors would see the Ads. Things may have changed since I stepped down from Admin.
But on my laptop I see no adds whatsoever.
Could be your not logging in, or cookies are not being stored on your phone?
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 977
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:20 am

Resistance is Futile wrote:
willy3486 wrote:No ads here either. I have a few computers I check this site and never see the ads. Could these ads be added on the phone and not necesarry with this site?

I agree when I originally set the parameters for viewing, only visitors would see the Ads. Things may have changed since I stepped down from Admin.
But on my laptop I see no adds whatsoever.
Could be your not logging in, or cookies are not being stored on your phone?

He is not logging in and needs to.

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:09 pm

I've never had any problems with pop ups or ads when I'm on the site with my iphone, and like you, it's my primary internet device. Take a look at your settings for Safari, there's some pop up and cookie options. BTW, don't do the ios 8 upgrade, it doesn't play well with the iphone 4s, plus it requires over 5gig of free memory to install it.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:26 pm

Thanks guys.

Let me start off by appologizing for being quite terse. It is just extremely frustrating when I can't even log in without "pop ups" between key strokes.

I'm running 7.1.2 (thanks Motorola man, you backed up what I have heard) and I do have my Safari settings to block pop-ups. I view this site in "classic mode", meaning instead of optimized for a smart phone (simpler layout), I like using and viewing the site just as I would from my laptop. Might be one of the issues?

No trouble whatsoever now. The ad banner I see now is for classmates.com. Doesn't matter what ad banner it is for unless it is for a childish game app, that's when I have trouble. I have NO games downloaded and no browsing connection to some stupid bubble pop or panda party game. What an annoyance.

I'll muddle thru for now. I still like not having to log in for every "session" here.

I do liken the experience here to a group of old friends having coffee, no ego trips or mind games. Wink
Dr. Radio

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:32 pm

Can you just check the auto log in? That is what I use and no further action is needed.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Oct 17, 2014 8:47 pm

I've always been hesitant on using auto(aka remember me) on any device. It's more for person/security reasons. Never wanted to accidentally leave a device and have someone else "play me" without any credentials and go "nuts" on my hangouts posting who knows what.
Dr. Radio

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:35 am

It's not the site that remembers the log in. It's your computer, whatever. I have mine on automatically, and, have for years. Occasionally, a glitch will come, and, I'll have to log back in.
But, I have no security problems staying logged in.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4561

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:51 pm

Bill..... Dr. Radio (Joe) is using an I-phone and does not want to stay logged in because in doing so could create a situation of destructive posts if someone were to get a hold of his phone.  Because of this potential he tries to view the site as a guest so he does not have to log in every time.  The problem is the site will not show him new posts and does show unwanted content to guests.  But most if not all forum software will do this.

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:20 pm

This site works great for me with no add pop ups at all. I do check the auto log in and no problems. Very occasionally I will have to log in but seems only if I log in from another computer and then back to my home unit.
I can't even imagine enjoying the various radio sites with an i-phone.
Best Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:38 pm

Let me confirm what all have said here. This site is only set so members will not get pop ups. Non members get them, and, also cannot post. I'm sorry you are having this problem, but, I set it up this way to protect members. If you check the stay logged in box, you won't get the pop ups.. Wish you had pm'd me about this long ago. I would have gladly explained it to you. We hope you will stay with us, and, keep posting here.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4561

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiamen2 on Tue Mar 03, 2015 12:59 am

Hi guys
I use I phone 4 i never log out
Don't get pop ups works fine for me
Phone is always with me
Sam