What are the ODD'S

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What are the ODD'S

Post by frank1956 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 1:44 pm

Of getting the same model radio with the same problem/problems??????  Evil or Very Mad  I got me another Silvertone 3004, went through and replaced all the capacitors &  the two Electrolytic. Took voltage reading all within spec/tolerance. Turned radio on and it worked for about a hour then it starting the same symptoms as the other 3004 did. A lot of you helps me through it only to find it had an intermittent problems. While this one does to and lighting does strike twice or I am snake bite and need to stay away from Silvertone Radio  affraid  

http://www.tuberadioforum.com/t3637-help
frank1956

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Back to top Go down

Re: What are the ODD'S

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:51 pm

You certainly wouldn't expect it to happen again. I wonder if there are any other online references to those that might show a common problem of that manufacturer for that model? I suspect that hybrid circuit mainly because it was the one area that was difficult to troubleshoot.
75X11

Number of posts : 5023
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:50 pm

On an AA5, I usually power up and find out what I have before I do any repairing. There is no power transformer on those, so there is less chance of frying something expensive. I find out if it works, what problems it has, then after I recap and check tubes and resistors, I have a baseline of comparison, should it not work when I am done. On transformer sets, I replace the filter caps and then run a "safety check" to make sure there is no short in B+, then I go ahead and power up to establish my baseline for comparison. Everybody has his own way, and there is no way better than others, really. The chances of having the same thing wrong with both radios is a tad high, but not unheard of. Like 75 said, perhaps there is a known issue with that chassis. I have several Silvertone radios, and find them to be as good as anything else, maybe better than some. I have not had the SMD issues with Silvertone that I have had with RCA or Zenith. Good luck, Frank. Sorry you are having so many problems.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5286
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by frank1956 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:14 am

75, WC Thanks. I can't believe it my self, who would have though!!!!
frank1956

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 11:36 am

On the plus side, when you get one figured out, it should apply to the other.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by frank1956 on Fri Oct 10, 2014 12:47 pm

True. Was wondering if SMD is the villain!!!. The reason I say this is this radio was working, receiving stations the whole nine yards before and after the re-capping. It played like I stated above for about an hour or so, then really loud crackling of static (Thunder/Lighting) then it recovered, the radio did it again, but this time extremely loud and the went silent!!  The other one has similar problem/problems.

75 as you mention there made have been a problem back then with this particular model??? Just can't believe it, same model, same problems within a four month period. There is a solution to the problem I am sure of it, if not they will make great target practice for my new pistol lol!
frank1956

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:40 pm

75X11 wrote:[...]I wonder if there are any other online references to those that might show a common problem of that manufacturer for that model?[...]
I'm not aware of any sites like that, but there is the "Technotes" section in the vintage Radio Craft magazines here: http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Radio_Craft_Master_Page_Guide.htm

Lots of common problems and fixes for the radios of the day.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:50 pm

True. Was wondering if SMD is the villain!!!. The reason I say this is this radio was working, receiving stations the whole nine yards before and after the re-capping. It played like I stated above for about an hour or so, then really loud crackling of static (Thunder/Lighting) then it recovered, the radio did it again, but this time extremely loud and the went silent!! The other one has similar problem/problems.

That seems to be the symptom most often given for SMD that I have seen.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum