More money to buy old junk

Go down

More money to buy old junk Empty More money to buy old junk

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:06 pm

I just LOVE going to Midwest farm auctions! I attended a farm auction a few years ago and bought a big box filled with 17 radios for $3! I bought 35 radios, consoles included, including my Philco 116-B for a grand total of $37 at another auction. I bought my second Magnavox console stereo at a farm auction for $1. I bought a pickup load, literally, of records at another auction for $3 and I have been digging thru them for years. I do not believe in paying much for anything in my collection.

I was at a junky old farm sale awhile back and an RCA R-82 tombstone in about a dozen pieces went for over 50 dollars. I missed a radio Saturday at a sale. A GE 202 went for $60, and I bid it to $35, WAAAAYYY past my limit. Some ditzy girl bought it. What's up? Has steampunk turned my beloved old junk into a valuable commodity? Do more people watch these silly "picker" shows than I realized? I now see that tube console stereos are starting to sell for serious money. I even know a guy who paid over $200 for a solid state model. A year ago, solid state anything was curb fodder. Is there more of an interest in "vinyl" now than I realized? Even records are starting to sell for crazy money at these sales. I saw a guy pay over $20 for a VCR the other day. You still cannot give away a CRT TV set, an ironing board, or a sewing machine at these sales. Those nice big fancy Singers that do everything and cost a fortune new, go for scrap.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

More money to buy old junk Empty Re: More money to buy old junk

Post by willy3486 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:45 pm

I blame it on the picker show mentality. In my area way too many folks want way too much. But on the other hand try to sell something. I had a Rohn 30 ft tower I wanted to get my 100 bucks out of. I even had the guy wire and all the stuff to do that. The cable was new. Those sections go for 30 or 40 bucks each many times around here. So in my area 200 bucks would not be overpriced. Folks were wanting to know my bottom dollar. If that wasn't bad enough I put I was willing to trade for tube stuff. One fellow wanted to trade me some lawnmower ramps that run 75 bucks new. Its like everyone wants to buy for nothing then sale for a sky high price. Most tube stuff I buy at meets anymore.

Oh and another thing on the Magnavox and similar stereos of the late 50s and early 60s. There is a big group now who like to find these and pull the main amp. I fixed one for a fellow and the word has go out. I have another fellow now who wants me to look at his amp. He has a amp he got from ebay. Not everyone has room for all these big cabinet stereos. But the 1x1 ft foot print may of these amps have look enticing to them. I wouldn't gut one just for the amp but many do to make a quick buck.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:30 pm

If those folks are putting that money up front on that stuff, You can bet there is no restoration planned in anyway whatsoever. That is why we have to be so thrifty. We have to pay to restore the items. The only concession to restoration they do is with a can of kandy apple red, or purple.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:16 pm

That situation makes it tougher on restorers. The console rapers cannot get them all. And we need parts. So the ones that get the amplifiers robbed can yield tuner chassis and Multiplex adapters and speakers. That is the way it is in the auto restoration business. If they didn't take one apart occasionally, there would be no parts. I hate to see that happen, though. There are still deals out there. They are more rare than they used to be is all.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:33 pm

Bet you didn't know those were the good old days while you were living them, did you?
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:44 pm

I have a ball digging thru old junk at an auction. I also enjoy a good cheap score, I don't mind admitting. It is harder for me to gauge the audience at a sale anymore. It used to be that if there were lots of younger people there, the older stuff would go cheaper. Not that way anymore with the Internet and all. I will have to "up" my max bid to about $25 and I will start scoring again. You're right. I may have not appreciated the old days enough. You know what they say about hindsight. Rolling Eyes

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:38 pm

When I was little, My grandma would go to most of the auctions in a 50 mile radius and sometimes she would take me along. That was such fun! The biggest fun was when she would buy some fun stuff as part of a lot. I had a load of toys, because she was always trying to get whatever antiques that could be had at a decent price and they would put stuff along with it to sell the chaff with the wheat. She taught me so much about antiques, by the time I was 10 The old folks in the crowd trying to impress me would point at something and ask if I knew what that was and what it was for. I would tell them just what it was for and how to use it and when. That was fun too!
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down