Electric start LawnBoy Push mower battery

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Electric start LawnBoy Push mower battery

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks. I'm glad it worked out too. I'm just tired of yanking on recoil ropes and them not wanting to start right away. I will keep those for back ups as they still run. Although I may have to clean the flywheel magneto of one since it was left out in the open. The cold and snow came way too fast to get it in.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:23 pm

That is one of the main reasons I use an electric. You could set it out in a 10 degree day and it'll run just like a summer day.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:35 am

Once I get this beast out of my basement, I will take some photos and video of it fired up. that way all you can see what it looks like and how well it runs. BTW I finally googled the model number and it is from 1986, so I was quite close on my original estimate of it being at least 25 years old. IIRC, that year is not too far off from being the last of their own 2-cycle models. Shortly thereafter they switched to 4-cycle Tecumseh models. Which were basically junk compared to the 2-cycle engines.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Mon Apr 13, 2015 12:51 pm

I had an uncle that loved Lawn Boy mowers, it was the only kind he would use. He had 4 of them of various vintages. As he put it "a spare of a spare for a spare" was his remark for having that many!

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:35 pm

When they are running properly, they are good strong mowers. When I worked at a summer camp we had a LawnBoy mower to mow the trails with. It handled quite well on the trails seeing as it wasn't much grass to mow but weeds and brush. They are getting hard to find now, and sometimes very expensive.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:11 pm

Here are a few photos and a link to a video of it running. You can see the huge 7AH battery on it, which i'm going to have to either make a holder for it or just use it to start it and remove it afterwards. It cuts great but the drive gears don't quite touch the rear wheels enough to drive it in grass. Anyone know if it is adjustable or maybe I need new wheels? https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10204874506397272&l=1798857086730502679

tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:29 pm

That looks like the power-sonic gel cells we use for battery backup on our alarm panels. Nice mower!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:34 pm

It's a ZPC brand, it was listed for use in a fish finder. It's a bit large, but does the trick. I've started the mower a handful of times and it has not drained it yet.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:11 pm

It's better it be a bit large, those sealed gel cells are more intended for slower discharge. Being big makes it a good choice for this. Be sure and keep it exercised so it will last. Use it for your other projects when it is not needed for the mower.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun May 01, 2016 4:58 pm

UPDATE: I'm having a bit of difficulty with it going through tall grass. It just seems it's not idiling fast enough, now even last year it seemed to idile a bit low but performed decently. However this year it seems a bit more sluggish. Since we got a lot of rain early on, my yard got a bit higher than it should of. Now the mower starts right up after 3 primes when cold and fires right up when warm, but it just doesn't seem like it's running as fast as it should. I took two videos, one running normally going through kinda high grass and another while it was running low on fuel, when low it seems to idile at least twice the RPM's it normally does. There is no idile adjustmest or air/fuel adjustment, only a throttle and it's wide open with the governer maxed out. Now, if I were to pull that carb, and give it a good cleaning with Gumout, would that help it? Video 1, normal RPM: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_hnYuWWGgQ3ZG9nSnZzemU0SDFSZjBJSnFXX1UyYU1YXzl3/view?usp=sharing
Video 2, higher RPM: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_hnYuWWGgQ3ekJTX3R3WVdpcEJKRXRsZWJMUmV1VTlENWNJ/view?usp=sharing
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 01, 2016 5:07 pm

It shouldn't hurt. Check your air filter also. Have a look at your plug after a run as well.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun May 01, 2016 5:15 pm

Thats what I was thinking. Air filter was a little dirty, but not al the bad. I had it removed for those videos. Plug is nice and black. It was getting like that towards the end of last season. Which at that point I really wsn't running the correct mix ratio, but this year I'm running the correct ratio, or pretty dang close. I may have a tad more oil than I should but I rather have a tad much than not enough. This plug hasn't even been used a complete season yet and it's the CJ14 which is what it calls for. I ran a CJ8 maybe 1 run until I got a CJ14.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 01, 2016 7:03 pm

A bit too much oil can impair the burn of the fuel. That coupled with the use of ethanol in gas these days may be what is causing your poorer performance.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun May 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Right. I put 6 oz of oil to about 1.3-1.4 gallons of gas and I should of had 1.5 gallons of gas, so I may of been just a tad high on the oil, but not overly high. I know with straight ethanol in vehicles that can use it, actually lose a few MPG compared to regular gasoline. So I believe most regular is mixed with upto 5 or 10% ethanol now days and with that mower being almost 30 years old, it may not like it very well. Tomorrow I may walk to the nearest Dollar General to see if they carry carb cleaner, if not it'll just have to wait.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 01, 2016 7:57 pm

For a lawn mower, I would recommend a spray carb cleaner.  The additive types further impairs the gasoline you need to burn to get the value from it.  Gumout brand is your best value, even though it is a bit pricy. If not that, CRC is a good brand.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun May 01, 2016 8:16 pm

That is what I was gonna get. I know Gumout was 5.00 at Advance Auto, but then I seen Gunk Brand on sale for 2.00. Which is may be what I go after if I get there. I know about CRC, I have some electrical cleaner of that brand, I think Autozone carries it.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top