Finally got my Maggy done

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Finally got my Maggy done

Post by Ragwire on Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:22 pm

It's been sitting in various stages of progress for about a year and a half, since a friend gave it to me as found.

Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Finally got my Maggy done

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:30 pm

Mighty nice! It just fits. How old is it?
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:39 pm

Thanks!
It's a 1947 model. Sounds really good. The loop antenna picks up SW pretty well but it really needs an outdoor antenna for best SW. The phonograph needs bearings but I don't have any 78s to play anyway so I set up the phono input to play iPods through instead. (A matching transformer and mods to the frequency compensation network.) All reversible and out of sight.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:08 pm

I like that cabinet style, too. There was a unit of the same vintage done up in the manner of a rustic American dry sink. That would have been too dated to blend as yours does.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:03 pm

Dats nice...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:58 am

Thanks fellas.
My brother in law does woodwork and painting so I had him strip the cabinet to bare wood and refinish it. I can do smaller projects, but I am not especially good at woodwork...not this large of a project. The chassis got recapped and all resistors out of spec got replaced. All new tubes. I had the money at the time, so I started fresh with all new. Lots of cleaning inside and out.
The 6U5 eye tube is the only used tube. I had to find a good used one for that or else modify it to take something else. Alignment was touched up, too. Only thing wrong with it besides all that refreshing was one weak, original 6SK7(?) if I recall correctly. I kept all the other old tubes that were still good for spares. I got the best match I could find for the grill cloth. Oxblood colored cloth from Antique Electronics Supply/Tubes and More.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top