Fun With My Test Equipment At Work.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Fun With My Test Equipment At Work.

Post by 75X11 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:51 pm

We use a General Dynamics R-2670 service monitor at work. I use it to do performance tests on our portable radio equipment. The more public safety oriented model has a high number of units that have very low output power readings. For our purposes I try to set them to a nominal 3.38 watt output in its' high power mode. I am getting some reading 1.70 watts at maximum. The firm that does our vendor repair tells us that there must be something wrong with our testing as they say they can get 8 watts out of the radio. The radio (XTS 5000)is rated for 3-4 watts. I have had to do testing using a throughline wattmeter and a resistive load and demonstrate that my readings are correct. The vendor tells my superiors that the radios that I am sending in for low power output do not need repair. It looks like we might be in for a contest at some point.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Fun With My Test Equipment At Work.

Post by willy3486 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:35 pm

The test equiptment wouldn't be off would it? Years ago,back in the 80s I worked on CB radios. We had a CB testing unit we had to have calibrated at times. I noticed that you set it to 3.38 watts. But you only get 1.7 watts which is right at half of 3.38 watts. Could that be a lead to the issue?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:43 pm

We just had our shop calibration in May. I verified the readings I had got, using other equipment. Right now it will mainly be believing the readings I got and keeping the powers that be on the beam in understanding how each system works. Some of these service monitors have been used for 6 years as am and fm broadcast recievers.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:13 pm

If they're getting 8 watts out of an XTS5000, it won't be for long. Laughing
Back in the days of the HT600s & it's predecessors, yeah it was possible to adjust the TX output up that high, but not on the newer models. The only way that they're going to get that much power from that radio is if the battery voltage is way higher than the 7.5 V that the radio requires. Perhaps if they had their power supply turned up to 12 V, as if they were checking a mobile radio prior to checking yours... and forgot to turn it back down? (Don't me ask how I know this)
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:19 am

Usually I go for 3.38 high, 2.69 mid and 1.38 low. These craparoos I just sent in were delivering around 1.7 watts on high. They have tried to keep using the tatty public safety mics with knots tied in the cords to make them shorter and more neat looking. I have pretty much stopped issuing them as they are destroying the radios. The officers are starting to see this is a better option, a conventional mike and 7 inch whip.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top