Anyone worked in computers that went into another profession?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Anyone worked in computers that went into another profession?

Post by willy3486 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Here is a question out there for the folks. I am looking to change jobs. I currently work in a school system on computers. I am burned out of this enviroment. If you worked in a school system you know what I mean and if you haven't its hard to explain. Anyway I really don't want to go to another place where you work all the time,70+ hours a week or weird schedules. I told my wife at this point if I got into the electric place and read meters I would be happy. It seems in computers it is feast or famine. I am tired of that. I would like to find another field to use my skills of repair and not have to go to college for 4 years. I like the computer work fine but in schools you do twice the work for about half the pay. Then if you get in some business places you work 7 days a week, decent pay but no time for yourself. I am ok with my pay and can live on it. But I think I am burned out on the school thing. I have been doing it for close to 20 years. If the attitudes were better in schools it might be better. Anyway has anyone got out of computers and went into another field fairly painlessly? I live to far from the American restorations guy so that is out of the question.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Anyone worked in computers that went into another profession?

Post by 75X11 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:22 pm

Computers have made their way into so many technical professions it would seem that many fields would be just an add on to that which you already know.  I don't think there are any areas in the transit authority I work for with the exception of the building trades or cleaning, that doesn't have the heavy influence of computer control.  I would inquire at some communications providers to get an idea of what they would need.  I'd be willing to wager you would find a lot of common ground.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks 75. I am burned out and exhausted from the stress of my job. Yes I know all jobs have that but I have been in education way too long. I live and hour away from where I work and the pay is not that good compared to other places I could work. A guy said it best I knew that left working for another school system. He said you work twice as much for about half the pay and no respect. I see that I need to get out of there ASAP. It is affecting my health. If I don't get out of there I will never be able to retire, the stress will kill me. I can live on the pay, the work is fine ,but its all the petty politics and BS in education I am tired of. So I think its time to look elsewhere. I don't want to work in public schools but I also don't want to work long or weird hours. If I had it to do over again I would have went into another field.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:22 pm

One other small suggestion is a resource that apparently benefited my cousin in his job search. He was unemployed for a long while and he found a job he likes after only a few months with it. It is called LinkedIn, and helps set up networking alliances with folks in related fields. It might be worth a look.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:33 am

Look at hospital computer dept. I come to work, I go home, work stays at work unless I am on call once every 6 weeks.
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:18 pm

I have a Linkedin account that I have not finished. I plan to do that this weekend. As far as hospital I have been considering that. I worked at the corporate HQ for a hospital company years ago. It was one of the best jobs I had. If I had not got laid off I would still be there. The bad thing with schools is that its very heavy politically. Most of my issues stem form that. I do not get involved with politics so I get crapped on due to that. They are going to a web based clocking in system which I hate. I don't mind doing it but what I dread is hearing form the admin.

I live far from work so they asked me if I wanted to work 4 days at 10 hours when gas went up. That worked out great. Up till now my boss has let me do that and work the hours I wanted to. Mainly I am the hardware guy so I don't actually go to the schools. I come in two hours or more early and get a lot done doing that. It actually benefits both me and the system. I can get a lot fixed before the other guys come in . They can drop it off one afternoon then take it with them in the morning when they head out. They tried computerized clocking in a few years back and the computer crashed so they did away with it. Before they did the bean counters called me up and gave me the riot act about having to take lunch, the extra hours I work ,etc. Add to it that I have no way to advance and I am tired of it. I use to have a office space and a work room. They have added so many people they took my offiice away. That was fine but then another employee took over part of my room and now thats his official area. So now I have a workbench about 3 feet wide . When you have to take apart a 25 inch imac that has a display and glass front that wide it is almost impossible. I have to lay parts all over the floor just to have room.

Now I work many weeks anywhere from 40 to 42 hours and I am fine with giving them that time because I get stuff done. But I expect to get the call from management but I am going to do my job. At least until I find another one. I live an hour away from Nashville,maybe I can get a job in the music industry. Oh well the hunt begins. Sorry for the rant but I needed to get it off my chest.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Renaissance Man on Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:35 pm

I worked in IT for 17 years, I had to leave my last job of 12 years because of the work hours, stress, politics and BS. I was out of work for 2 years. I got in to fixing old radios while looking for a job.

I have been working at Honeywell for the last year. The job pays.... not as much as I'd like, but I no longer have to travel around town dealing with the general public and random businesses. It's 9 to 5 and I can forget about it when I leave for the day. I am still looking for another job. I really wanted to get a job fixing stuff but there's not much of a market for that.

I feel your pain.
Renaissance Man

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2013-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by codefox on Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:57 am

Consider telecommuting especially if you can adapt to non-traditional schedules, and have done production support and development work. That stuff doesn't ever need to be done on sight, but your experience may be very much in demand, especially from small to medium size companies or divisions. Linkedin is a good idea, especially if you can establish/restablish connections with colleagues and acquaintences new and old. Best

codefox

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top