Capacitor prices

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Capacitor prices

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:48 pm

I have been researching capacitor prices lately.  I want to go thru my Concert Grand next spring and will need a coffee can full of caps.  Prices vary wildly I have found.  Here are some prices I ran across.  I used a .01UF @630volts film, axial lead caps as a baseline for comparison.

*Mouser.  $1.09

*Just Radios.  Who knows?  They only sell kits.  240 pieces for $99.99, for several values.

*Radio Daze.  5 for $2.00 or 40 cents each

*AES.  63 Cents each

*Sal's Capacitor Corner.  25 for 6.25 or 25 cents each.  This is a tremendous value.  Why the difference in price?  Sal is an ARF member, and, according to what I have heard, everyone is satisfied with his service and the quality of his caps.  The downside to Sal is that his selection of radial e-caps is limited, and I like to restuff cans.  The difference between 25 cents and $1.09 is enough incentive to give Sal my rather large order.  I like Radio Daze and they have given me good service.  They have always had the best price, but Sal has them beat hands down.  Would anybody care to comment on this?  Why would not 25 cent caps work just fine?

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Capacitor prices

Post by willy3486 on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:29 am

I have bought from Sal and they were fine. I don't remember the brand but they were fine. As far as Sal goes I think he may work at IBM or something like that. So he may have good connections and he probably works from his basement. I bought about 100 bucks from him . The last time I got some I purchased from Aliied electronics. I purchased from them instead of Sal because I needed some other stuff for projects I still yet need to do. I got even better deals from allied because I bought a lot of stuff on sale. I went to their web page and looked for stuff on sale. I was getting some for less than 20 cents each. I would have no trouble buying from Sal again. But as you say he doesn't have every item you will need. But then again the savings makes up for it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1394
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:34 am

Just Radios sells individual capacitors like that. I order by count from them all the time. I use their "Capacitor Shopping Cart."  

http://www.justradios.com/cart.html

.01uF, 630V tubular axis film caps are .39 each.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by jukeboxman on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:41 pm

Sal has good products and great prices

jukeboxman
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-11-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:56 pm

Hey WC,

Please don't take this wrong (I don't mean to come on as a jacka$$), but we need the whole story.

Mouser has 1000s of brands and types and ratings of capacitors. Simple saying that value is a buck and change isn't painting the whole story.

Simple blocking and bypass capacitors will run less than a buck. Top notch premium poly prop. Constructed Self healing" dielectric construction can cost a pretty penny.

It's true, those buying in bulk can save and pass the savings on to their customer, but I always go with top-notch stuff from Mouser. I hate not supporting the "little guys", but they don't carry (typically) my high reliability low ESR electrolytics, my Mashushita poly caps with self healing high surge capabilities , etc. when I restore a "keep sake" I want it to last 10 -20 years (excluding tubes).

If it were my Concert Grand, it would be treated to the best of the best (which actually don't cost that much in reality), rather then haggling over 29 cent yellow axial caps vs. 59 cent orange "dips" (sprague impersonators) and Xicon electrolytics that have no date codes so there is no lot tracking or age accountability.

It's just that I liken your question to this...

"I don't understand, I'm shopping for a new car, the Fiat 500 sells for $14,000 while the Cadillac CTS sells for $42,000, what gives? They both have 4 tires and a steering wheel ?!!"

Again, no offense, but there are more choices than just the $1.09 each cap and I prefer to over- do things. Spend money now or spend money later type of thing. Now, if this was an $8.00 clock-radio, you could argue differently.

Smile
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:52 am

Doc, no offense taken and none intended. I appreciate your insight.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:02 pm

I just got back from a trip to Chelan. On the way back I stopped at an antique mall in Cashmere, WA that had the 5 for $2 packages of capacitors. He had 19 varieties, and I bought one of each type.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 269
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:40 pm

Looks like Fair Radio Sales has 2 for $1.70, which is $.85 each. Now they're not high quality caps, but not junk either. I believe they only charge actual or close to actual shipping on their products. I have never had anything shipped from them, because they are local to me. https://www.fairradio.com/catalog.php?mode=view&categoryid=960
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 664
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:10 pm

Buy the Fiat, they will get you to where you wish to go and cheaper. Seems all of the non e-caps sold just work dandy. I'm certain audiophools would disagree. I like Sal and just radios, easy to order from. Mousers selection gets over whelming to me. Heck we are only talking a few cents difference. If you feel better spending more money on them, then go for it. Your choice.
Best Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:43 pm

I agree with your comment on Mouser. When I want their ecaps, I have a friend order them for me. By the time I navigate their website, I am so frustrated, I don't want to order anything. I like RadioDaze. But I believe I will give Sal a try. To me, caps is caps. Paying more for "better" is not something I want to do. If "someone more particular than me" buys my Concert Grand and wants to change out the cheap caps for some costing over a buck apiece, they can do it on their dime.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:54 pm

Regardless of the prices, it is good to have a number of sources. It seems like each has something special to offer.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:48 pm

75X11 wrote:Regardless of the prices, it is good to have a number of sources.  It seems like each has something special to offer.

That's the way I see it. I purchase from different sources myself. Wink

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:21 am

I've been building electronic gear and making repairs on same for over 50 years, and when you are doing small-value cap replacement on tube gear, hermetically sealed metal paper-in-oil is a good way to go.

The old Sprague 'Vitamin Q' was the best of them all, but finding them today is tough.

So...I've been buying Russian surplus K40Y types off eBay. Same construction technique, glass end seals, eTc.

As an example, 50 each .01 @ 250V runs about $20 delivered here in AZ.

Several vendors have them, from Belarus, Russia, and the Ukraine.

I've used many over the years, and never had a failure under fire. They are tough little devils, and have that classic 'look'.

Plus, you can't burn a hole in one with a hot soldering iron by mistake.

Dennis

Conelrad

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2013-04-20

Back to top Go down

Post by codefox on Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Quite a few smaller businesses available to cater to your needs, as it is becoming strictly an accomodation to stock parts that are nearly obsolete by larger concerns. Depending on your anticipated needs (1,3,6.10,25?) it is always best to fill in stock with the near future in mind. Hard to do as a hobbiest, but picking and shipping costs, not to mention credit card fees, of an order for a seller are upwards of 50% of the price of doing business. (I'm not in business any more!) Get together a medium size order and deal! Worst that can happen is order is filled anyway with no loss of face.

codefox

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-10-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:38 pm

Sal frequently has a sale, sometimes with 20% off. I have a list to take advantage of the next one. We need to patronize small vendors so they stay in business.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:26 pm

Take a look...the best of our technology, copied faithfully and inexpensive:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/20x-0-01uF-1000V-PIO-K40Y-9-Capacitors-K40Y9-/191311767688?&_trksid=p2056016.l4276

I've dealt with this guy before, as good as any online retailer you will find.

You can lead a horse to water...

Dennis

Conelrad

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Thanks for the heads up! I've bookmarked their Ebay store. One can not have enough sources.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:28 pm

From their Ebay page;
This item will be shipped to you from Europe (Ukraine)

I wonder if that's a problem right now?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks for the information.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Conelrad on Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:54 pm

I just got a bunch in from them middle of last month.

DG

Conelrad

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:34 pm

Mouser's website is very confusing but extremely powerful when mastered. It is the only site I found that can filter on mechanical dimensions which is useful when restuffing.

neali

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top