Antenna Mounting question

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Antenna Mounting question

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:53 pm

I plan to put up an outdoor TV antenna soon so I can get rid of my cable box. I have a couple old sturdy poles in my yard that will hold an antenna nicely. My question is, can I mount a round mast to a rectangular pole? If I can should I use round or square clamps to secure the mast to the pole? I also have a round pole in my yard, but it's a bit further away from the house than i'd like. I will use it if I have to though. Also any other info will be appreciated. thanks.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Antenna Mounting question

Post by willy3486 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:49 pm

How far do you want to go up? You probably will want guy wire to hold it. I have seen all kinds of ways to hold a pole up,square clamps,holes drilled in it to just plain wire. Just make sure it is sturdy and will not fall. A big thing to remember is you may not even be able to pick it up. Since the digital tv mess if you are not close to the station you will not be able to pick it up. I use to could get stations from 100 miles but now even if I had a good antenna I would be lucky to pull half that. If I didn't have TV through my phone company I would probably just go netflic or something like hulu.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:00 pm

Honestly I don't know. It will probably be less than 30 feet. I know the higher the better. I'm not even certain what i'm going to use for a mast. The first antenna I was going to get came with one but i'm thinking it may be a bit too large to put up by myself. All the local stations around here are owned and operated by the same company so I can get those easily. I'd like to go high enough to get out of state stations, but i don't know how easy that is with everything being digital. I always remember it was much easier to pull in UHF than VHF, but it's all VHF now isn't it? Here are links to the two antenna's i'm thinking about: http://www.ebay.com/itm/261570215707?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT and http://www.ebay.com/itm/201139080608?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:28 pm

I am not familiar with Lima Ohio but I wouldn't expact to get more than 50 to 75 miles at the very most. I am 40 miles from one station and 70 from the Nashville stations and I have a rotor to turn the antenna. Since the digital changeover I can't get anything.

I am planning on in a few weeks putting up a 30 ft tower with rotor. But all I expect to use it for is for am,fm and shortwave. I always wanted a tower and now it useless for the most part I have one.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:36 pm

That would be fine. I Would be pointing it in one general direction and leaving it there unless I am not getting many channels. Now I just need to figure out what I am going to use for a mast and what diameter to use. I will also attempt to use it for FM radio stations at some point.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:49 pm

I dunno if all the info will transfer in this link, but if not go to TV fool and insert your local info...

Looks like your strongest station is transmitting on VHF Ch 8, probably can receive it on a UHF antenna...

http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapper&Itemid=29&q=id%3dd2430d29c3a0dd
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:49 pm

All the info transferred. I wasn't aware of some of the stations near-by. The pole I want to mount it on is 7.5' high and I figure I could safely attach a mast at least 6 ft up. I was thinking about using sch. 80 PVC in 2 10' ft sections as a mast, if it would work without swaying too much. That way I can get around 25 ft high, unless I can safely use 3 sections of that PVC to get me above the 30' mark. I'm only thinking PVC due to it being lightweight and I'd be able to haul it in my car once I get it repaired.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top