Pocket Westinghouse

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Pocket Westinghouse

Post by JasonAMFM on Sun Aug 31, 2014 3:55 pm

I found another Westinghouse pocket AM radio to add to my collection. It's in excellent condition,(almost mint) and it works great, but they want $40 US. Seems a little high to me, but I'm not necessarily looking for a bargain or a steal. I just don't want to get taken. Would anyone say fair price, slightly overpriced, or would I be getting a Toyota for the price of a Cadillac? I've seem plenty go on ebay for far less, but in far worse condition. To be honest, I have a soft spot for those little Westinghouses, so I'll probably try to haggle and buy it anyway. Sad I just want to know if, and to what degree I should shake my head when I get it home. Laughing
JasonAMFM

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Pocket Westinghouse

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:07 pm

The question of whether one paid too much in a deal is almost universal to anyone who collects anything. My thinking is that if I want it, if I can afford it, if I like it, if it is in extra good condition, if it is hard to find, I usually buy the item, cost be damned. You can hardly go to movie and dinner for $40 nowadays. That radio would be something you could lay your hands on over and over. I always consider the entertainment value over time. I say haggle for less, but if you want it, go for it. You only go around once.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:43 pm

When you look at an item such as this, try to write down the model number of the radio so we can hopefully look it up and have a better idea of the one you are looking at. Also remember that sometimes the valuation of such a radio also includes the case, accessories, box and literature that originally came with it.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:06 pm

I like WC's suggestion. That's how I usually collect, and probably what I'll do. Thanks -- 75, will do, it's one of the H***P6GPA's, the leather case is in great condition, no literature/box, Any suggestions on sources so I can look up the model numbers and such on my own?
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:03 pm

The first thing I always do is just enter the manufacturer and model number on each online search engine. It's seldom that you don't come up with something of use.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:25 pm

Also, go on Ebay to seeif any similar units are up for sale, how many are up for sale andlook at their completed prices, not the seller's asking price. That should give you a feel for what to spend on one. These are not investments and should not be considered as such. These are only for fun and your personal interest. Don't expect more than that.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:09 pm

Another question; "Could you make a crappy one that nice for $40?"

I see floor model radios every day for $10, $20 or $30 dollars all are in bad shape.

I paid $135 for my Philco 41-256 but........It has it's original finish without the first scratch and it played fine from day one. I still need to recap it. I could never make a $20 unit look as good as this one does. It's worth it!

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:46 pm

Good points, the ones is see on ebay usually go for less, but far junkier condition. The similar model I already have, I paid under 10 bucks for, but there's no way I could restore it's appearance to anywhere close to the one we're talking about. I've made up my mind. Thanks guys... hopefully it's still there when I get there. If it's not, I will kick myself and will have learned a valuable lesson.
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:44 pm

IIRC you are fairly new to radios so this is advice I give to folks. Radios are a hobby for the most part  so don't expect to make a profit. You buy what makes you happy. One of my favorite radios is a old RCA with a side of the bakelite broke. Bot it is a great playing radio . I also have a philco 70 I restored. It is far from mint. The front was so bad I had to make a new front. I put way too much time into it. But I did get it going and I love it. I had wanted a Cathedral for about 30 years and it was the first and only one I have.

There are far better ways to make a buck you buy what you want for the love of the hobby. If you keep it long enough you will be able to ell it for what you have in it. I collected from the late 70s to around 94. I got out of it but got back into it a couple of years back. I have put probably more into it than all those other years combined. But those radios I bought from the late 70s to the 90s can now bring 10 times more. So to me buy what you can afford and not be hurting if you buy them.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:33 am

Will, I have no interest in making a profit from this. 60's and 70's transistor radios caught my eye, and now, I collect them. I want their appearance to please my eye, and I want them to work well so that I can listen to them. Now, I've started opening them up trying to figure out what makes them "tick." Since joining this forum, I've begun to understand their workings and attempt to repair them. The reason behind my original question in this thread is that after buying the aforementioned Westinghouse,(no matter how much I like it,) I don't want the seller laughing as I leave calling me a sucker. On a separate note, what is IIRC?
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:42 am

Just consider it part of your "entertainment " budget and enjoy it!   Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:24 am

If I Recall Correctly.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:36 pm

Jason, I bought my Magnavox Concert Grand in June. The seller had me pegged as a sucker. A fish on the hook. And he was right on both counts. I wanted that thing! I paid his price. Was it too much? I have no idea, and don't care. I am the only one who knows what I paid. It does not matter to anyone else. And what the seller thinks, I care least of all. After all, he is the guy who has to live with the knowledge that he sold a perfectly good Concert Grand instead of keeping it and enjoying it. I got what I wanted, he got what he wanted. Now we are even.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:15 pm

MEZLAW and WC, those are the ways to think of it. As long as I can still pay my rent, and I really want that radio, who cares what the seller thinks. Good advice guys.
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:57 pm

Go for it, Jason! Very Happy

Be sure to post pictures when you get it. I am old, but maybe I am good for something after all. Good luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:39 am

JasonAMFM wrote:MEZLAW and WC, those are the ways to think of it.  As long as I can still pay my rent, and I really want that radio, who cares what the seller thinks.  Good advice guys.

Not everything in this world is about making money, sometimes you just have to enjoy life.   A night at resturant is not an investment, neither is a week's vacation. Enjoy your radio as you would a night out on the town!  Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:04 pm

Excellent advice in this thread.

I've over-spent on a lot, but I also ended up with a lot of "rare" stuff very few people have or understand the true value of.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:19 am

Always try to get what you like and can appreciate. One plus is that you can write up an essay on the treasures you have and you will always have a interested audience here.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:17 am

MEZLAW wrote:Not everything in this world is about making money, sometimes you just have to enjoy life.   A night at resturant is not an investment, neither is a week's vacation. Enjoy your radio as you would a night out on the town!  Very Happy
You said a mouthful. You can't take it with you, and no one ever lies on their "deathbed" lamenting that they didn't spend more time at work or hoarding more money.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top