It's my anniversary...

Go down

It's my anniversary...

Post by Dr. Radio on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:36 pm

Maybe no one cares, but I thought I'd share. It was 20 years ago this month I consider as the "beginning" of my "adventure" into the actual electronic restoring of old radios.

I had gotten my first tube radio in elementary school, but it worked fine as-is and I mostly just stared into the back watching the miniature tubes mysteriously glow and give off heat as voices and music were pulled from far away out of the thin air.

But I digress back to the topic at hand...Late summer 1994... I was in junior high and I made the leap from the basic low voltage electronics and solid state tinkering into the realm of bringing tube radios back to life. I still have in my possession the first radio I ever replaced the electrolytic capacitors on--I demonstrated (although dangerously--with wires leading to the outside of the radio to show capacitors being connected into it!) to my family how the 3 little cylinders made the hum "magically" go away taking place of the original big 'ole cardboard cylinder.  They were as amazed as I was.

It was a Crosley E-15WE purchased by my Grandma from a garage sale for the outrageous price of $1.00.

This hobby has always been an "escape" for me and I've learned a lot and met a lot of GREAT people because of it.

Hope there are still young people out there that take a break from the world of touch screens to still see some real vintage magic. Laughing
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Re: It's my anniversary...

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:43 pm

Happy anniversary, Doc. Do you still remember the first radio you repaired? I'll bet you can still remember every detail. I hope you have many more years enjoying your old radios.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:49 pm

Happy anniversary!  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:32 am

MEZLAW wrote:Happy anniversary!   Very Happy