Me and Rock and Roll

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Me and Rock and Roll

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:09 pm

There is a young man at work with whom I work, and who hold in high regard. He recently married, and his FIL's 60th birthday is just around the corner. I am known at work as an "old guy who messes with 'vinyl'", so he asked me if I would put some of his FIL's records onto CD. I agreed. He handed me a stack of 1970's rock records. Journey, Bob Seger, Fleetwood Mac, Heart, ZZ Top. Certainly out of my realm of interest. I kinda like Fleetwood Mac. Sheena Easton and Bob Seger are the reasons I dislike head-banging rock and roll. They suck. I figured out rock and roll. You take the title of the song, repeat it 75 times in a five minute span of time, sing or yell in a voice two octaves above your normal range, then add whatever noise in the background you can create at high volume. Then run all the songs on the record together so I have to listen to it more than once to seperate the tracks.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Me and Rock and Roll

Post by 75X11 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:51 am

It's nice of you messin' with a mess o' vinyl for him.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:53 pm

You have the gift of being able to say something nice about someone, even when they are acting like a jerk.  Thank you, 75.

I started this little adventure out with blinders on.  I guess I figured that everybody liked the same thing I did.  And how dare this man I do not know have tastes that I did not share!  I should have asked Matt what kind of music it was.  In reality and in fairness, there was a copy of the Linda Ronstadt album from 1978, "Living in the USA" that I once had on "A-track" that took a dump.  I now have it on CD, so that was good.  I got a glimpse of Fleetwood Mac, and I kinda like them.  "That Old Time Rock And Roll" is on the Bob Seger album, but it is a "live" album, so there is lots of applause and other noise to compound the noisy rock music.  The tracks on a live album are seldom seperated well, so I had to figure out where to break the tracks, and not knowing the music made that task more difficult.  When I posted the above, my head was swimming and my ears were ringing.  I had played the album just loud enough to BARELY be able to hear it and do my processing.  Listening to that album at anything approaching normal listening level could cause hearing damage!

I have delivered three completed CD's to Matt and he had given them to his FIL.  The guy came into the store the other day grinning like a possum in a chicken house.  He had tears in his eyes.  It seems his wife had told him she threw away all his old records.  It came as a total shock and surprise that I had them and was processing them onto CD.  Now if I could just get the volume on my receiver to absolute zero.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiamen2 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:26 pm

hmm called boot legging  Twisted Evil
mafiamen2

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:48 pm

No, actually, it's not. His records. His CD's. He gets his records back. They make recording materials of all types and descriptions, and have done so for over 60 years. Things like MP3 players, CD, tape, even a cellphone. Maybe if you were to record music then try to sell it commercially, that might be frowned upon. Putting some 60 year old man's Bob Seger records onto a medium where he can enjoy them is not bootlegging.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:39 pm

Just my opinion, (and of course it wasn't asked for, so forgive my insolence,) but WC's right on that one. I'd call it a kind favor or a good deed.
JasonAMFM

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:47 pm

The old guy will probably find the cd's much easier to play as well. I did the same for my neighbor, but put them on a usb flash drive.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:58 pm

This man drives an older Ford pickup, something like yours, 75. It is beyond mint, a special edition model of some kind. Blue and white. It has a tape player and CD player in the radio. That was why he wanted CD's.

Jason, your opinion is welcomed and appreciated, just like anybody else. You owe nobody an apology of any kind. We are glad you are here.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:33 pm

Why, thank you Wildcat.
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by mafiamen2 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:23 am

guys don't get me wrong  No 
I do it myself music .movies. very expensive automotive program, and win7
I copy and give and trade with family and friends
the way I see it I buy it its mine to do what I want  but that's me right or wrong
mafiamen2

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:01 am

The little emoticon told me you were just funning.  Very Happy 
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:37 am

I have worn out two tape recorders in my lifetime. There are about 250 reels of tape on a shelf above my head as we speak that I have filled over the last 50-odd years. I started out with a used Voice Of Music "730 Tape-O-Matic" and later an Akai M-9 stereo. I still have both machines, but they are thoroughly worn out. They both still work, but I would not want to record anything important with them anymore.

My grandpa was a Red Foley fan. I recorded several "Midwestern Hayride" shows over the years. Red Foley also advertised, and his show was sponsored by, Massey-Harris and Massey-Ferguson. I have recorded the entire shows, starting in about 1957 including commercials. My grandmother was a rabid Lawrence Welk fan, so I have lots of those programs on tape, complete with Larry Hooper singing about Dodge, a long-time sponsor of the LW show. I have recordings of four of the five "Champagne ladies" from the LW show. I probably have some fairly rare performances on tape, but who really cares anymore? I have most of my family members on tape, including my great-grandmother, who was born in 1868. Every record I ever borrowed is on tape, some now on CD. Every family member and several friends who got married, I have recorded their ceremonies. Many of these I have transferred to CD and have given copies to kids and grandkids on Christmas or special occasions. And, lately, 50th wedding anniversaries.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:31 am

Don't be bad mouthing Bobby(Seger), you'll get my ire a goin'... Older daughter took me to his concert in Norfolk last year for my 63rd(a total sell out), consider it one of the best birthday gifts I ever received... No, being from WVa I ain't cultured enough to enjoy the classics, you can gimme Andy Griffith pickin'' Sourwood Mountain or telling the story about Jack The Giant Killer...

35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:48 pm

Not badmouthing Bobby, Tom.  Just not my cup of tea, I guess.  I'm glad you enjoyed your concert. The album I processed was "Nine Tonight." It was a live album, and perhaps not his best effort? And, I'm not a big fan of live albums, no matter the artist. No offense intended.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:14 pm

I'm a fan of 60's and 70's rock and roll. But live albums.... it's not the way the songs were meant to be heard. Usually the artists and producers sat in a studio for a long time, playing the songs,(or even just a portion of a song) again, and again. So it was just right... usually. Concerts are about the experience itself. Being there and actually watching the artist perform. It's kind of impossible to record those factors with audio equipment.
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top