Jackson Instant Sound

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Jackson Instant Sound

Post by willy3486 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:29 pm

If you are just beginning try a AA5 or all American 5 tube radio as they are called. They are my favorites to work on. They are simple and easy to work on. As far as IF transformers and slugs most beginners will mess with them. I never touch them until everything else is done for the most part. Most of the time I never have to touch them.
Also there is a good post on beginning to repair radios at
http://www.tuberadioforum.com/t255-some-electrical-safety-for-our-newcomers
Read it if you haven't yet.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:42 pm

Willy thanks for that tip , I read it. Also, for some reason, I'm drawn to transistors, and right now don't have the funds to search out an AA5.

Ragwire, I'm pretty sure it's not the contacts for the band selector switch. (Although I've yet to buy some spray, I've worked the switch around, sounds clean, and looks clean.) If the next step as you recommended is reheating/reflowing the solder joints, can you (or anyone else) give me some soldering tips? I have the iron, 60/40 rosin core solder, and a desoldering braid. However, I have VERY little practice at using them, and I really like this radio. So, I don't want to screw it up.
JasonAMFM

Number of posts : 63
Registration date : 2014-08-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:57 pm

Youtube can show you better than I can write about it. Look for circuit board soldering tips.
I like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU4t0Yko9Uk

Only difference is the components are already there on yours. Try not to flux it up too badly. ( clown I couldn't resist)
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:33 am

If you are going to reflow the solder joints, I would strongly advise you to get some rosin flux. preferably the liquid type. It will help in preventing bad solder joints. Get it when you get the contact cleaner and try the cleaner on the band switch first. You may save yourself some trouble.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:26 pm

-Ragwire Thanks, and hahahaha, You're a punny one. I'll be fluxing careful.

-75X11, I got the contact cleaner yesterday, and plan on doing some tinkering this evening. Also, the solder I have (from an electric guitar tinkering endeavor,) is 60/40 and the dispenser says Fine Electrical Rosin Core solder-- a low melting alloy WITH fast acting flux. So... with that in mind, would you still advise picking up separate liquid flux?
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:44 pm

This is only an opinion, and, I could be wrong, but, personally, I'd say no. But, use a very low heat soldering iron. These boards are easily damaged, as are components..

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4538
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:15 pm

I have a 60W 110/120v Ideal? Or do I have some more shopping to do? I suppose I could google these things, but chatting with you knowledgable gentlemen gives me someone to talk to.
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:27 pm

Honestly, I would. That is what I use in my soldering. You may find that the amount of core flux does not always provide for all the protection that is needed. It prevents small amounts of dirt, corrosion or other residues from contaminating the molten solder. If you solder without it and get a crystally, not fully wetted or "cold" solder joint, you appreciate its value all the more. And you have the proper solder, too.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:26 pm

Update: I cleaned up the band switch and the pot. Good news: no more scratchy volume knob. Bad new: No change in AM reception. Still a steady hum across the dial.
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:28 pm

On to the next steps. I am going to get this.
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:51 pm

Is this battery operated? Hum across the dial is usually dried up old power supply electrolytic capacitors that need replaced--if it is an AC power supply. If it's battery operated though, then the hum is probably interference from the stray 120V fields all around the house and at least means the audio amplifier section is probably working well.

Is this the one you tweaked the alignment screws on? I'd finish the soldering connections even if you don't have the flux yet (Radio Shack sells it though) and try it then. If it is the same, then you can do a little signal tracing is it is battery operated and the hum is in fact interference.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:28 pm

The Jackson in the photos on page 2 of this thread is the one with the AM hum problem. It runs on either; it's had a new battery compartment installed. I currently only run it on AC. The FM is perfect, the AM: hum across the dial. willy3486 had this to say, "As far as this radio goes most radios have a AM section and then a FM section, they then come together into one circuit. So the issue you have is from the antenna to where they connect."..."My guess is you will have a transistor or cap bad in the am circuit." Seems to make sense to me. However, before I continue with The Jackson AM/FM (my new favorite toy,) my soldering skills need some practice.

The one that I tweaked the alignment screws on is my pocket Westinghouse H-902P6 GPA. I got it so far out of whack, I can't seem to get it back in line. I was just swinging in the dark and didn't know what I was doing. Any advice on re-aligning the Westinghouse?
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:42 pm

Out of curiosity, and just so I know, Have you run this unit on battery power and if so, does it have the same symptom?
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:45 pm

It won't power on with batteries. However, I'm not sure how much that will tell. The only C batteries I could find are old, and I don't yet have a tester. Also, there's a little switch that says "Charge/On" I think it may need replacing, but I'm not even sure what the heck it is! -laughs loudly at myself-
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 9:57 pm

The reason I asked is the AC power supply as Ragwire stated may have failing electrolytic capacitors that will allow AC hum from the supply. The AM radio can be affected by this. That charge/on switch should be left in the on position. I would imagine the charge position would be to charge batteries from the AC supply and would damage regular batteries in the unit.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:39 pm

Weird. I've had the switch in the charge position with no batteries in it. Has turned on fine, FM good, no AM. I switched it to on, and the radio wouldn't turn on with AC. Switched back to charge, turned on with AC. If there are batteries in it, nothing happens switching that switch (there's red light next to it.) After removing the batteries, plugging it in, and placing the switch in the on position, the red light next to the switch comes on. But the radio won't. Switch it to back to charge, Comes on just fine. If I was slightly confused before, now I'm completely flummoxed.
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Be careful. If you apply charging voltage to non rechargeable batteries they may heat up and explode.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by JasonAMFM on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:08 pm

The batteries are out. I just find the switch thing odd. Batteries in: no light on with switch in on position. No power to the set. Plugged in: light's on with the switch in the on position, but no power to the set. Turn the switch back to charge, the set powers up. -shakes my head in confused frustration-
JasonAMFM

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top