Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:53 pm

Sounds like tool time tim took your order... Very Happy
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Hallicrafters SX-110 dial string repair

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 10:56 pm

Now you just need to find something to work on that takes Allen wrenches. Very Happy

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:01 pm

Or someone who has bristol wrenches that will take allen wrenches.  Very Happy
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:29 pm

My Internet service was down, AGAIN, for another five days. The new DSL modem that was installed ten days ago went bad. But I digress.....

During this time, I decided to clean off my bench. The Hallicrafters SX-110 was on the end of the bench, so I decided to finish the repair and see what it would do. I re-stuffed the filter capacitor can with a 33uf Nichicon, and two 24uf Nichicon electrolytic capacitors. All three rated for 450 volts. Then I completed the replacement of all the paper caps and bumblebees under the chassis. The tubes are coded from the 52nd week of 1962 to the 17th week of 1963, all coded "274" RCA supplied. So that would make my instrument a 1963 model. All eight tubes are Hallicrafters branded, so it would appear that these are perhaps the original tubes, or have been replaced with period-correct tubes at some point.

This instrument is a pretty hot radio. I finally have a radio with better sensitivity than my two favorite Philco consoles, the 40-180 and the 41-295. The neatest feature of the SX-110 is the antenna trimmer control and the switchable and variable sensitivity and AVC control. The operator can essentially perform an alignment on the radio every time the station is changed. You can use a pretty basic antenna for reception of reasonably strong and reasonably local stations. If I want to get serious, just connect my longwire antenna. Oh my goodness! At night, there are stations nearly everywhere on the dial, both on broadcast band and shortwave. I can hear preaching and a couple Spanish shortwave station at high noon. Shortwave is normally dead around here when the sun is out. The antenna trimmer and the bandwidth tuning locks in distant stations. The fidelity with the factory external speaker is good for a Hallicrafters. There is a three position tone control, and a "voice-normal" switch on the speaker. This instrument has eight tubes. It has a tuned RF stage, two stages of IF amplification, plus detector, and two stages of audio amplification, with single-ended 6K6 output. I'm impressed. For what started out as a hacked junker, I'm happy with how it turned out. I'm not a Hallicrafters collector, per se, but I can see the fascination guys have with these big "boat anchors."

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top