Retrofit VM 936 to my Zeinth 12H090

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Retrofit VM 936 to my Zeinth 12H090

Post by MrBill on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:56 am

So I received the speaker back from Johns Vintage Radio and it sounds great in the Zenith 12H090. I appreciate everyones assistance in helping me get this set working properly. I found a VM model 936 phonograph that fits perfectly in place of the old Zeinth S-11680 whis is only 78rpm and has the Cobra oscillator. I have the 120v power supply figured out to the VM 936. My question is the audio input. I believe it is terminals 6&7 on the phono socket to the chassis and I will not use the oscillator. If that is correct are there any other modifications needed to the chassis other then wiring into terminals 6&7? If wiring diagrams are needed I can email them to you.

MrBill

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-02-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Retrofit VM 936 to my Zeinth 12H090

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:18 pm

You would ruine the value of it by retro fitting. Further, that oscillator is connected to the I F's of the radio. Not the amplifier.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4585
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:10 pm

The output of the cartridge on your VM changer may affect the success of this operation as well. Were it mine, I would feed the output of the cartridge directly to the volume control of the amplifier and see what happens. If the volume is sufficient, that is how I would wire it. Go around the oscillator. You would have to change some of the wiring on the band switch, or whatever switches the set from radio to phono. I just modded a portable Zenith equipped with that silly oscillator cartridge and used a BSR stereo table bridged for mono. I had to make a new motorboard, but it works just fine, and I didn't have to mess with the original system. Bill's comment about value is well-taken, but around here those Zenith combos are common as dirt and they can't give them away. Good luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5286
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by MrBill on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:56 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I most likely have more into the set then it's worth but its a lot of fun and it is also a way to connect to my late grandfather who was also into repairing radios and even built his own Ham radio back in the late 50's.
When I bought it nothing worked and the tuner was stuck, so for only my second restoration project I feel a sense of accomplishment thanks to assistance on this forum. I will keep you posted.

MrBill

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2014-02-20

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:27 pm

One thing that a person might could do is to add a input RCA jack to the radio like some folks do to to be able to play ipods into a radio. If this is a wooden stand up type radio all you would have to do is to make a bracket to mount the jack on to. Then rig the record player to play through the jack. It keeps the originality or at least you do very little to it and the jack can be take out of the circuit in the future. You leave the original record player in and you can use the record player you want. You might could also look for a aftermarket record player that transmits to the am of the radio. I bought one about a year ago I want to restore one day.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1428
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:21 pm

It would still have to be connected to the volume control.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4585
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top