radio antenna tower

View previous topic View next topic Go down

radio antenna tower

Post by willy3486 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:59 pm

I have a tower thats the three pole type, I got it from someone who had it for a ham radio. Its 3 sections so I think it is about 30 feet tall. I know how to pour the pad, raise it and install the guy wires. But I what I was wondering is there any websites that has the calculations of how far to put the wire from the tower,how big to dig the hole for the pad,etc? I want it to be free standing and not on a building. Mainly I want three guy wires to hold it so it won't blow over. I plan to have a rotor and a older TV antenna on it to use to pick up radio stations. I am thinking somewhere between 10 and twenty feet away from the tower. Any site that have instructions on towers out there. I wouldn't mind just seeing the info on how to set one up in case I forgot something.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: radio antenna tower

Post by oldgoaly on Tue Aug 12, 2014 12:33 am

I believe there is something in the Arrl antenna book, you might google it and see if you can find the info online
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:12 am

Thanks. I will look it up. I might even have one of those books. I buy up most books I see if I can afford them and don't have it already.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Sat Aug 16, 2014 11:48 pm

I forgot to look and forgot the box of stuff in the workshop to the radio room, but if I remember right a 60* triangle is ideal. unless you have lots of wind load aka large antennas it should be ok.
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:12 am

I found one of those books , I need to look it up. I have a place located I think will work ok. I plan to have a rotor and a older TV antenna on it. Mainly I just want to put it up to pick up on am and shortwave. I am going to have it to be able to tilt down so I can work on it and such. I don't climb and its too tall for my ladder.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:54 pm

Don't forget a good ground.  The antenna pipe is NOT a ground due to the capacity effect as it nears the top.

Also, your antenna(s) are probably 300 ohm.  Use an outdoor 300-75 ohm transformer, (NOT resistor pad), with a rubber boot.  Coat each connection with naval jelly or Vaseline.  Since you are using a rotor you will probably only use one antenna.  However, if do do mount two make sure to put a twist in the twin lead between the them.
Oh right, one last thing, don't forget the drip loop.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top