Another "Wild" Cat Story

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Another "Wild" Cat Story Empty Another "Wild" Cat Story

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:20 pm

What I am about to tell you is true.  The names have been changed to protect the innocent.

We have a young man in our community, Jimmy, who runs a landscaping business.  He is well-regarded in the community, has been good to me, and knows everybody for a hundred miles in every direction.  He lives, and will probably die, in the house he was born in.

Jimmy's dad was an electrical engineer for RCA/GE/Honeywell and was an avid ham operator.  He had an extensive ham shack and all the goodies that go along with that.  Lots of parts and crap laying around, like many of the rest of us.  Jimmy had told me previously that his dad had been bad sick and that when he was gone, I could just have all the stuff the family did not want of his dad's.  That day came yesterday.  We travelled to a town about 60 miles NW of here and I started digging.  Most of the ham equipment was gone, lots of the tubes, most of the test equipment.  Mostly just junk and stuff that nobody could identify or wanted was left.  The bad part about this deal was that if I did not take an item, Jimmy promptly put it in the dumpster.  So I took stuff I really did not want, but hated to see it tossed.  I will probably put some stuff up for sale to go to those who can use it.  A partial list of the haul:

*Zenith 760 eight tube console from 1933 or so.  Two speakers, nice cabinet and 400 brown recluse spiders included.

*Heathkit (unknown model) amplifier.  P-P 5881 (6L6) output and has its original Mullard 12AU7's and one Mullard 12AX7.

*An old NRI VTVM, with probes and in nice shape.

*A Collaro changer.  I had never seen one not in a Magnavox stereo.  Nothing like those.  Nice shape.

*A nice Realistic/BSR changer.

*A Midland changer made by BSR that will work well retrofitting old radios.

A box FULL of NOS Black Beauty capacitors.  I have a handfull on ebay as we speak.  The "twang and bang" crowd will have a ball!

*A pair of 10", three way Pioneer speakers.  These only had three brown recluses spiders in them.

*A nice Hallicrafters SX-110 with external speaker.  My first big Hallicrafters.  Complete and pretty nice with exception of a spot of mouse pee on the speaker cabinet and no back.

*Several tubes, some loose, most used, mostly ham and power tubes.  These will be for sale.  I just did not want them junked.

*A JVC 300 disc CD changer.  Nasty dirty, but it works just fine.

*A nice Technics dual cassette deck.  Nasty dirty, and it works fine as well.  I like cassette decks.

*A Realistic 20-watt stereo amplifier, solid state.  Works fine.

*Several RCA tube manuals and substitution manuals.  Various technical manuals, mostly tube.

*An unseen, unknown model console stereo still in the shed outback.  This is part of the deal.  They want it gone, and I need to help make that happen.  All I know is that it is "heavy as hell", "is like a Zenith or something", and has a tape deck.  Probably some 1970's POS of some kind, so stay tuned.  I may have an aching back and a bad attitude over that one.

*Philco 38-12 five tube transformer power supply radio.  Only one pregnant brown recluse included.  Pretty nice and untouched.

*A blue GE clock radio, model C-421-A (tag in bad shape).  Cute.  Filthy.  Missing clock knobs.  Works fine.

*a box with a lifetime supply of fuses.

*Several divided plastic boxes full of transistors, IC's and other goodies.  Probably some NOS germanium transistors.

*A three-unit Heathkit intercom system.  It works.  I have no use for it, nor any interest in it.  Just did not want to see it thrown away.   It's a Heathkit.  Jimmy and his dad built this set back in the day.

I just wanted to share this with you guys.  I had a fun day, we cleaned out the basement, and I may have saved some of this stuff from a horrible fate.  Pictures on the way.

WC

Last edited by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Another "Wild" Cat Story Empty Re: Another "Wild" Cat Story

Post by 75X11 on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:38 pm

Sounds like a nice early harvest!
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:50 pm

That is the GE "Musaphonic"

I have the same blue GE clock radio, mine needs the crystal.  I may be interesred in it it you decide to sell it.

GE Clock Radio

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:25 pm

Mez,

I may have your crystal. There are (2) types, one has the dial numbers printed on it, the other doesn't.

'Cat. Maybe we can barter/trade/whatever. I could use some germanium transistors and manuals...

Oh yeah, I also have some "can toppers" for your RCA restoration project.
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:27 pm

I would be willing to purchase the crystal from Doc and the whole radio from WC if he decides to sell.

I should be at the other house tomorrow to check my Musaphonic, I believe it has the crystal without numbers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:25 am

This crystal has the numbers.  I know that for sure.  I had to remove it to retrieve a dead spider.  I'm not sure I know for sure what a germanium transistor looks like.  The ones marked as germanium transistors look like top hats with wires sticking out the bottom.  

There is a container with probably 50 Motorola IC's in it.  There are some other Motorola and Delco transistors on heat sinks.  All that transistor stuff is of absolutely no interest to me.  It is just that this man saved this stuff for a reason, and it seemed a shame to me that his kids were just junking his life wholesale.  If Doc, or 75 or whomever would like some of that stuff, we can certainly work toward that.  I would really like to be shut of some of that stuff, storage-wise.  I will try to get some pictures taken and posted, then you will have a better idea of what is here.

MR MEZ, failing my finding another spider, dead or alive, methinks that my frau has cabbaged onto that little GE radio.  She thinks it is cute, so you know what that means.  I will have to completely disassemble it and feed the cabinet to the dishwasher.  It is beyond filthy.

I forgot to mention one thing. There are several old "Modern Electronics" magazines from the 1950's there. The oldest I saw was 1952. Would any of you guys like some of those? I want two or three, and these will all go to the landfill if we don't take them. He is holding these, pending our input. If any of you want some of them, I will send them to you for postage or whatever. I have to go back over there in a couple weeks to pick up that Zenith radio, so I could get the magazines then.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:24 am

MR MEZ, failing my finding another spider, dead or alive, methinks that my frau has cabbaged onto that little GE radio.  She thinks it is cute, so you know what that means.

No problem, I fully understand!   Very Happy  Wink    lol!

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:55 am

It's cute as a bug's ear, no doubt. The question will be whether I can get the thing clean. I would not want to sell or ship it in the condition it is in. I don't think you would want it like that.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:42 am

If you do decide to sell I don't care about the condition it may be in when it arrives. My case has no cracks or chips but it does have 2 places where it looks like cigarette burns. I've got one of them almost invisible. To be honest, when I first received this radio I was going to scrap it. Same situation, it looked like hell but it played.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:40 pm

This one is a 6 tuber with a tuned RF section. It is a pretty good performer. I just found a couple broken "teeth" in the speaker grille, but that is part of its history. The cabinet comes apart on this radio. That will be nice for cleaning, which it sorely needs.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:51 pm

If in good shape, I'll take the magazines. Wish I could get that Zenith console. I'd like to have it.
Any record players? Need a decent quality portable stereo, maybe with an am fm radio. Tube preferred.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4450
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:30 pm

This one is a 6 tuber with a tuned RF section.

Same as mine, I believe all GE musaphonic radios were 6 tube.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:11 pm

Sorry, Bill, no record players. The Zenith may be for sale, depending on what it looks like when I get the hood up. I'm not much of a Zenith guy to start with. The magazines did not look too bad, what I saw. They are nearly 60 years old, so they won't be perfect. I will grab a handful when I go back.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:04 pm

Here is the same Halicrafters on Ebay;
SX=110

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:05 pm

The backs of most Halicrafters are available as reproductions.

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:26 pm

I'd be interested in a few magazines, an RCA tube manual, and that NRI VTVM...
Ragwire
Ragwire

Number of posts : 511
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:27 am

The radio does not have a back originally. The speaker is supposed to have one. Mine has the original speaker. The one on the Bay you linked does not. I'm going to go thru this one. I have wanted a big Halli for some time. I may make a back for the speaker. Thanks for the ebay link, MR MEZ.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:27 am

The radio does not have a back originally.

I didn't know.  Embarassed 

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:29 am

I have this Halicrafters;

Ebay

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:10 am

Dr. Radio wrote:Mez,

I may have your crystal. There are (2) types, one has the dial numbers printed on it, the other doesn't.

'Cat. Maybe we can barter/trade/whatever. I could use some germanium transistors and manuals...

I checked mine out, i do not have the numbers for the clock or dial printed on the crystal, only the alarm setting for the small dials.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:56 pm

Dr. Radio wrote:Mez,

Mine does not have the dial numbers printed on it, do you have one?

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:10 pm

MEZ,

The one I have laying around DOES have the dial scale numbers printed on the crystal.

I suppose I could polish them off, but it technically wouldn't be correct as the non-radio-dial clock crystal units had the functions printed on the crystal for the radio knobs "phono<-->radio" and "tuning".

It's up to you.
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:56 pm

Thanks anyway but mine does have the "phono<-->radio" and "tuning". The face of mine is just fine but the right side has a small piece out of it and I have the piece. The guy I got it from tried to just pry it off! I'm grateful he kept the piece, I believe I can make a near invisible repair.  Very Happy 

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:17 pm

Oh, ok. Smile

Keep me in mind for any other clock parts. Wink
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Aug 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Doc, perhaps you have answered this question before. What kind of clock parts do you have? Do you have a supply of those little knobs that go on the clock for a clock radio?

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next