Wonder why......

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Wonder why......

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:26 pm

.....people leave their manners and common sense in the parking lot when they enter a store?

For the major part of my working career, I have worked with the public. I still work part-time in retail. For the most part, it is a miserable, thankless, endless job with horrible hours and challenging working conditions. And as addictive as any drug. I love working retail. I love more observing people. I have found that they are usually at their worst when they are shopping.

I work for a major retailer, and I work in the dairy department. To refer to some of the customers I see as pigs would be an unnecessary insult to swine. Even pigs don't mess up what they eat. The other day, a small male child, about six years old, was gaily poking eggs and breaking them while his mom stood talking on her phone, oblivious of his activity. He managed to break 15 dozen eggs before I got him corralled. His mother was appalled that I would object to his activity. On the Fourth of July, some kind patron put a dirty diaper in a bunker of hot dogs. I had to throw away 186 packages of hot dogs, completely disassemble the bunker end cap, sterilize it, and restock it. I found a wad of used chewing tobacco deposited on a container of cottage cheese. Same story there. I had to throw away every container of cottage cheese in that cooler, disassemble the cooler, sterilize and restock it. There is a 7.6% bump in prices figured in to account for theft and the mess that people cause. We all have to pay for these clodhoppers making a mess.

Then there is Farmer Fudd who comes in the store after he has slopped his hogs. He has three inches of hog crap on his Muck boots, tromping thru the grocery department. Every step he takes leaves little clumps of hog crap on the floor. I have to call Hutch to bring his floor scrubber up, amid hundreds of drunk boaters and campers, and clean up that mess. Who wants to buy groceries when the place smells like hog crap?

There is a 25 year-old college student who likes to bring his football player buddies to the store and they ride around on the electric shopping carts reserved for patrons who are genuinely mobility challenged. They would run the batteries down, then stand and laugh at people struggling to get around. Fortunately, we have an especially astutue and effective Loss Prevention Manager who accumulated security system footage of this activity and presented it to his brother, who works in the County Prosecutor's office. Trespassing charges were filed against the ringleader of this bunch of hooligans, and this appalling activity came to a screeching halt. There was a 13 year old girl, the daugher of one of the local ministers, who would take a half gallon of ice cream, cut holes in the container, then put the container in a display of clothing. The ice cream would melt and ruin all the clothing, and make an indescribable mess. Security footage revealed this activity. Charges were filed, the girl's record was sealed, and the minister made restitutution. I have often wondered if the parishoners of the church were actually paying the tab for that one.

There was a lady in the other day with her WIC certificate in hand. She was wearing Coach sneakers, carrying a Coach bag. She had three tweenage girls with her, each of them poking on some type of I-device texting endless babble to their buddies. They were each dressed to "the nines" and had those fancy three-colored, sparkly fingernails. They were wearing Havianas flip flops with those little toe rings. And the lady was griping that she could only get store brand milk with WIC instead of the "premium brand." Unbelievable. I'll bet three weeks' pay that they hopped into a new Ford diesel dually pickup in the parking lot as well.

Why would anybody work retail? For me, it's for people like Howard and Nancy. Howard is 93 and is wheelchair bound. Nancy is 92 and walks with one of those four-legged canes. When they come into the store, they come on days they know that I work. They attend church where my wife goes. Nancy pushes Howard in his chair, and Howard pushes the shopping cart. It takes them a couple hours to shop, but Nancy refuses to use one of the electric shopping carts because "God gave me two perfectly good legs. Those silly carts are for disabled people." They come to my department last. I see them in the store, so I sneak up to the front and get a shopping cart. Nancy does the driving, so Howard has the shopping list. Always typed. Carefully checked for price and quantity. Howrd gives me the "cold" list. I grab the items they need, go over to the refrigerated deli likewise, and meet them at checkout stand #14, where they always check out. They check the refrigerated stuff first, Nancy hands me her keys, and I beat feet to their Explorer where I deposit the items in their portable cooler. They never allow the lot boys to handle their refrigerated items. "It might get warm." Concidence like that I can't buy at any price. Tipping is strictly "verbotten" where I work, so about three or four times a year, the wife will bring something home from church that Nancy and Howard have "found" that I might enjoy. A stack of records, an old radio, a little box of tubes, stuff like that. Always with a Hallmark card, signed by Howard and Nancy thanking me for my kindness.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Wonder why......

Post by mafiamen2 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:35 pm

I AGREE WITH YOU 100%
any more for 1 good person their are 2 bad ones
most people want every thing first and want it free because they deserve it
people don`t know how to say thank you or have a nice day . little things like that go along way.
mafiamen2

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2012-12-03

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:33 pm

Manners are appreciated more each day because it seems there is an incredible drought of good manners expressed. There are too many who think that good manners are a sign of weakness of those who practice them. I guess clod is cool.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:20 am

I once worked retail......
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:58 am

I worked retail once, during the good old days, in a small town in Indiana. Now the times are rotten, the tiny town has melted like a snowflake and even one of my fellow employees that I was providing radio repairs for threatened me with bodily harm becausr the vendor did'nt turn his radio around fast enough to suit him. I introduced him to our police force, they introduced him to the gate and his boss introduced him to the appeals window at the unemployment office. I have a new friend in town, looking for a job, driving an Infiniti.  Razz 
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:13 am

"Rambo", our Loss Prevention Manager, has identified the kind patron who deposited the dirty diaper into the hot dog bunker. The "lady's" name appeared in the local newspaper, charged with Criminal Mischief and shoplifting. She is a regular customer who had been drinking and thought it "would be funny." She will likely get to pay for a bunker of hot dogs, and have a criminal record to boot.

There was a lady in the store the other evening. She was 70 if she was a day. She was about a size 16, poured into a pair of size 8 short shorts. She had on a bare midriff top and a pair of cowboy boots two sizes too small. She was going to the American Legion dance. We laughed about her for a couple hours. You can't make this stuff up, nor see it on any tv station. Watching people gets addictive.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:26 am

Don't tell me, it was a costume party and she was going as the legionnaires disease!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:54 am

She was going hoping to snag herself a feller!   Very Happy 

If she was lucky, he might still have his driver's license and his teeth!

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by scottb on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:06 pm

At our local grocery store, I noticed this lady who must have painted her pants on. She bent over to get something, noticed a loose string on her pants. She pulled it, her pants split and her butt blew out of the split pants

scottb

Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:52 pm

cheers 

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:01 am

scottb wrote:At our local grocery store, I noticed this lady who must have painted her pants on. She bent over to get something, noticed a loose string on her pants. She pulled it, her pants split and her butt blew out of the split pants

That would have been the rip cord....
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:13 am

Wildcat445 wrote: To refer to some of the customers I see as pigs would be an unnecessary insult to swine.  

Unfortunately we have the same bush pigs here who think it's funny to trash other people's property and businesses.  

The problem here in Australia is that the State will supply truckloads of counselors and public defenders who will relate tales of woe for why these mongrels commit the crimes they do.
Subsequently, ex-defense lawyers masquerading as impartial judges will let them off with nothing more than a judicial slap on the wrist and a "naughty boy, don't do it again".  No deterrent whatsoever.
Left wing ideology running rampant here......

If I had my way, these low life oxygen thieves would get a public flogging and be made to pay 100% restitution on all the losses they inflicted on their victims.  Six months of this sort of treatment would surely act as a deterrent to any budding thugs.

Ron.
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:00 pm

It has occurred to me that perhaps some family trees do not have a fork.  Shocked 

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:58 pm

My pet peeve is how people can make a mess of a restroom.
As Mom would say "do they do that at home?!"  We must have raised different.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 10:41 am

If I were elected dictator of this country, I would ban flip flops and cellphones. These two small items are doing more to cripple future generations than any device or vice ever invented by man.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum