Are there any other BCB DXer's out there?

Go down

Are there any other BCB DXer's out there? Empty Are there any other BCB DXer's out there?

Post by Timaaay! on Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:42 am

My interest in radio began as a boy in the 1960's when I found that I could receive far away radio stations at night. I went to the local library (remember the Dewey Decimal System?) and got some books on antennas. I built two directional loop antennas and connected them to an RCA tube radio that my grandfather gave me. I used that radio for years to DX the AM band. There were many challenges with noise in an apartment in NYC.
Years later I moved to New Jersey and lived within 5 miles of about 8, 50,000 watt stations and about the same distance from several lower power ones. I'm not sure which was worse.
I now have a weekend home in rural PA that is relatively quite and 75 miles away from the nearest AM station. I'd like to get back into BCB DXing. I'll be moving my 756 pro lll here in the next few weeks. My first priority will be trying to get a 160 Meter dipole up (or a full-wave loop).
My next antenna or antennas will be for the BCB. Does any one know of, or used a good directional OUTDOOR antenna for the AM BCB? or better yet, plans to build one? I'd like to find something I could mount on top of my VHF/UHF beam, be moved by the rotator, be durable, and work well. I haven't been able to find any plans on-line for such an antenna.
Are there any other BCB DXer's out there? Just wondering what you use or have tried and how they compare.
If all else fails, I guess I could use a few short beverage type antenna, but my property is only 300 X 450.
Timaaay!
Timaaay!

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Are there any other BCB DXer's out there? Empty Re: Are there any other BCB DXer's out there?

Post by simplex1040 on Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:43 am

I made a huge longwire antenna that seems to work best ( the ice storm took it out tho) I was thinking of making two this time one N-S on E-W and see what that does
simplex1040
simplex1040

Number of posts : 298
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Are there any other BCB DXer's out there? Empty Re: Are there any other BCB DXer's out there?

Post by radiowizard on Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:14 pm

I used to do it quite a bit a few years ago...I would do it on the way in to work. No fancy anything, just the factory installed Honda radio. I had more fun as a teenager, when we would "ride the circuit" in Grand Rapids, MI...almost everyone listened to either WGRD (1410) or WLAV (1340). 'GRD was dawn to dusk, so they went away at night. 'LAV was 24/7, but reduced power. I always surprised the others when my radio had WABC and Cousin Brucie on, or WCFL, or WLS, or WOKY. Of course, they were all top 40 stations then (late 60s). But the best was getting either Canadian or sometimes at the right time, Mexican stations. Don't remember just which one, maybe XERF or XELO. I may start that again when I don't need to worry about snow on the roads. Have listened to 3WE, WBBM, WOR, WSB, WOWO, and so on...FM stinks...you have (in general) rock in all its variations, country or religious stations. Hardly ever have it on anymore.
RadioWizard
"A Conservative In Exile"
radiowizard
radiowizard

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:46 pm

Hi im still in to BCB Dxing .Been doing it for 37 years.Want to put up big ant to see what i can hear,here.Sprman Smile

sprman

Number of posts : 333
Registration date : 2008-03-27

Back to top Go down

Post by panchro-press on Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:30 pm

Chance for a rare catch: The Fargo, ND station at 1100 has been granted permission to run full power all night because of the flood.
WTAM, Cleveland, possibly could be nulled enough to catch it.

panchro-press

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2009-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay! on Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:56 am

Thanks for the tip! I have two dipoles up here. One is run north and south the other is run east and west. It's amazing how much difference it makes on some stations (dropping many Db's)- There are times where I hear two completely stations on the same freq. just by switching antennas, while others don't seem to affected much at all.
I'd love to put up some sort of directional antenna (I can't do Beverage antennas) without going into phased arrays. I understand that the Quantum Phaser works well to produce deep nulls, but I've been told that large dipoles won't work well with it because of overloading.
If your into BCB DXing, if you've never checked out this site, it's worth checking from time to time.
http://www.dxtests.info/
Timaaay!
Timaaay!

Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2009-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi WSGI 1100 is not far from me .Grr would like to hear Fargo on 1100.Got to build me a loop..Yeah have been to they DXtest site .Tanks for reminding me of it.Sprman : )

sprman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dean Huster on Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:53 am

I did BCB DXing more as a kid, first with an old Echophone and later with a Knight-Kit R-100A, both with a 100-foot east-to-west (or was that west-to-east) antenna between the barn and my second-floor bedroom window. I was logging all the night traffic then and during the daytime, I'd use a simple table radio to check out the locals. Because of my antenna, I got mostly Canadian and Mexican stations, and with a later antenna, pulled in stuff from New York along with KOA and KSL.

It is a lot of fun. I have a "new" synthesized receiver and need to put up an antenna better than the ten feet of wire tossed under the bed! Makes me blame the receiver or the lack of stations these days rather than the obvious culprit!

Dean

Dean Huster

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:21 am

I used to get a thrill listenning to ham, etc., on sw on my RCA Victor model 110-K radio as a kid.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4454

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:05 pm

I don't listen to the BCB as much as I use to although I seem to live in a good area for it.I have picked up far away stations such as in Canada; Denver and the North East. I live in a two story house and my "radio room" is on the second floor. I just use a very long wire antenna (10 -20 ft). Sometimes I will hang it out the window! There is a fairly good local BCB station near by so I guess I am kind of lucky. I mostly listen to SW, especially at night. I keep telling myself I am going to put up a real good outside antenna but I am a little afraid to since I live in an area prone to Hurricanes. Just as soon as I do it will end up in Kansas! I would like to see what some of these sets of mine would do if allowed to really "air out". For now my long wire antenna will have to do. I must be pretty lucky 'cause I can pick up stations all over the world on the SW band with the set up I have now and do a fairly decent job on BCB . ---VANT
VANT
VANT

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:32 pm

With all I'm doing, I haven't got much time to anymore, but, I like to see what's coming in on sw once in a while.
It's neat.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ve1arn on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:47 pm

I plan on getting back to it as soon as I get my wire antenna back up again.

Now that the snow and cold is here to stay, the antenna raising season is in full swing again. Very Happy
ve1arn
ve1arn

Number of posts : 136

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:18 pm

I have I believe a 1951 table model Philco with AM-FM-SW on it.
When I get it restored, I hope to use it as one of my main sw sets.
Bill Cahill

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:03 pm

Ben tuning around last few weeks on AM and SW.Have heard stuff on 2.182usb, 6.925mhz am,and in BCB freqs.183KHZ comes in loud here one hour befor sunset in French.Sprman : )

sprman

Back to top Go down

Post by VANT on Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:31 pm

Yea not too long ago I picked up some station in France that was playing nothing but Elvis! There is a real good english speaking station in Hanoi and in China that I can pick up early in the evening.
---Vant
VANT
VANT

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2009-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by sprman on Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:43 pm

Last night WBBM faded out and in came Spanish station playing music,dont know who that is! Sprman : )

sprman

Back to top Go down

Post by Timaaay on Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:52 pm

Check out this site. If you go "advanced" you can enter the frequency, format (such as Spanish) and it'll give you all the possibilities. A great site for DXers.

http://www.radio-locator.com/

The only US or Canadian station that broadcasts in Spanish is WCKB - 780 AM Dunn, NC. However their night time power is only ONE WATT! Daytime is 7,0000.

Status Licensed Class D [Help] AM Station
Hours of Operation Unlimited
Antenna Mode Non-Directional - 2 Patterns
Daytime Power 7000 Watts
Nighttime Power 1 Watt
Number of Towers 1
Transmitter Location 35° 16' 60" N, 78° 35' 49" W
License Granted September 24 2002
License Expires December 01 2011
Last FCC Update November 24 2003
Timaaay
Timaaay

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-07-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum