Aircraft Boneyards

Go down

Aircraft Boneyards Empty Aircraft Boneyards

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jul 05, 2014 4:53 pm

http://metro.co.uk/2014/07/05/where-do-planes-go-once-theyve-finished-flying-these-7-aircraft-graveyards-will-show-you-4784338/
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Aircraft Boneyards Empty Re: Aircraft Boneyards

Post by willy3486 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:06 am

Years ago back when you could make a living repairing stuff I always wanted to buy the hull of a old airliner and set it on a concrete pad. I wanted to make a workshop out of it and call it the fly by night repair shop.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1380
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:42 am

Very Happy 
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale H. Cook on Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:57 am

I still have a lot of parts from a sort-of-boneyard - a recycling company that scrapped Coast Guard aircraft and helicopters. They recycled the big stuff like aluminum fuselages and wiring that they burned the insulation off of. Stuff that they did not recycle ended up in cut-down 55 gallon drums and I could buy that stuff by the pound. I still have lots of N, BNC, and other RF connectors cut off their coax before the latter was recycled for its copper. I have several helicopter antennas, odd stuff like delay lines, and many multi-pin connectors, largely Amphenol. Those connectors are, or are akin to, the Amphenol 48 series in old electronics catalogs like the Radio Electronic Master. I sometimes work on military electronics for hams and other folks, and the pins and pin receptacles can be scavenged from connectors that I break down. The pin diameters are ones that I would not otherwise have and the pins and receptacles are mostly silver-plated (a few are gold plated). I use them to connect test equipment and custom-made jigs to connectors on the military gear. Here, for example, is a box that I built for testing Harris RT-1446 '80s military transceiver power supply decks. I used the salvaged pins to connect the box to the connector on the cable that goes to the transceiver deck, letting me control the power supply mode and provide three load currents while observing the PS with a DVM and 'scope. The line cord connector also uses those pins so I have a custom cord made up using them.

Aircraft Boneyards Rt1446_1
Dale H. Cook
Dale H. Cook

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down