Excessive oil in law owner

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Excessive oil in law owner

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:08 pm

I got a 2012 model Briggs & Stratton mower from my brother and he went to put oil in it not knowing exactly how much to put in and overfilled it majorly. I had to pump all the oil out of the oil fill Bc I couldn't find a drain underneath. I fill it back up with about the right amount and it won't start. I pulled the plug and it was full of oil, so I'm thinking the entire cylinder was or still is causing the plug to not ignite the fuel. I even turned the engine over numerous times with no plug trying to blow the excess oil but did no good. With all that said, is there something else I can do besides pull the head and clean the cylinder to get it running again? BTW I pulled out close to half a quart of oil.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Excessive oil in law owner

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:06 pm

A "law owner?"

You may have to remove the head and clean things up before you can get this little engine to run. You for sure have "drowned out" the spark plug with oil and it may never work again. I would try a different, known good plug and see what happens. Squirting some carb cleaner in to get it to run on that may clean out the oil enough it will run. It may not run well until all the excess oil is burned from the cylinder. Good luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Half a quart excess or just half quart??? Most small mower engines hold around 20oz...

Wash the plug with Gumout, brake cleaner etc and let it dry... As long as it wasn't running and spewing oil which carboned the plug, it will likely be OK..

I'd spray the cylinder and spin it over to blow it out, in over 50+ years of working with small engines I'm yet to remove head just to get one started(at least one that had compression)...

If you don't want a cheap flame thrower be sure to ground the coil wire..

If it only runs on the carb or brake cleaner mentioned it prob has carb problems...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue Jun 24, 2014 12:04 am

I posted from my phone and stupid auto correct changed my heading. It was supposed to say lawn mower. Idk exactly how much oil was in it but enough to make it pour out of the muffler. I was thinking I could spray something in the cylinder but wasn't sure that would the trick. The plug that is in it is pretty much brand new, it was replaced a few weeks ago before my brother flooded it with oil. I don't have any carb cleaner or starting fluid, but do have a bit of some Chemtool b20 fuel system cleaner, would that do the trick if I can get some in the cylinder?
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:53 am

That would probably do it. What you are trying to do is dilute the oil and expel it. And you want to leave just enough to have the cylinder lubricated.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:54 am

Didja ever get it started?
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Jun 26, 2014 3:02 pm

Haven't been able to work on it. It rained all day the past few days and that has prevented me from getting outside to work on it. I am going to try in a few hours since it is not raining today..
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:04 pm

Finally got to it. I got it rumning. It was a bit rough at first and was backfiring slightly through the carbuator but it cleared up after about 2 minutes of running. It blew the remainder of the excess oil out of the muffler and then pretty much ran normal. Hopefully it will continue running normal the remainder of the mowing season.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:33 am

Sounds like it'll be fine. The excess oil must have fouled the spark plug. Mowers are pretty hard to kill.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Jun 27, 2014 1:32 am

I think it will live. However I think there is still some excess oil in it due to it blowing white smoke every time I start it. It's also a pain to start when it's cold. It takes about 3 pulls and just as many 3x primes before it will idle. I may replace or clean that plug with a torch before I mow again. I'm thinking the excess oil somewhat damaged that plug. I'm not concerned though since I have nothing in it but some time.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:05 pm

Next time use a turkey baster. That's what I used when I put too much liquid in my power steering reservoir.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Fri Jun 27, 2014 5:50 pm

tuberadiogeek wrote:I think it will live. However I think there is still some excess oil in it due to it blowing white smoke every time I start it. It's also a pain to start when it's cold. It takes about 3 pulls and just as many 3x primes before it will idle. I may replace or clean that plug with a torch before I mow again. I'm thinking the excess oil somewhat damaged that plug. I'm not concerned though since I have nothing in it but some time.

Before 2011 if I had a mower that started in less than half dozen pulls I'd have been jubilus... That was the year my 1982 Snapper kicked out the rod and I declared it a dead soldier... Actually was second engine on that deck, I broke crank on first... The second engine was a 1981(junked that deck in '06, broke crank in '07) and used almost as much oil as gas, at least no mosquitoes while cutting grass... My neighbor had given me a front driver Craftsman that I despised, so was stuck with that for a couple weeks... The carb primer barely worked on it and was harder to start than the Snapper, that at least had a real choke... BTW All these mowers were freebie or curb pickups, only new mower I've ever owned was a $45 special from GEX when I bought my first house in '71...

I mentioned the fact my favorite mower blew up and I didn't have another good engine to a friend and he says "I got just the thing, neighbor set out a Honda, I'll bring it to you"... So a few days later it's in the driveway when I get home, DAMN another front driver Crapsman, but with a Honda engine(other than the 1st Craftsman having a B&S engine were almost identical)... Well I haven't mentioned but already I had another nice 1983 Snapper but it had a bent crank & wasn't self propelled(again curb pickup)... Before I got the Honda engine I'd considered putting the big 7 Hp Briggs from the first Craftsman, as basically all it needed was a carb rebuild... Now with the Honda having a really rusty junk deck(I don't think it was ever stored inside), I was determined to marry the nice '83 Snapper deck to the '04 Honda engine and also add self propulsion... Why you say didn't I just go buy one??? Cause a new comparable Snapper costs around $700, that's why...

OK I check Craigslist and am in luck, bought another 1982 Snapper with good propulsion system but bad Tecumseh engine for $30(at least I think it was bad, never tried to start it, no love here for Tecumseh)... With the usable parts from the dead Snapper, all I had to buy was a couple drive belts and crank pulley as the Honda engine has a larger shaft, also bought a new carb from ebay for $15, spent approx $75 total...

With re-drilling the '83 deck to mount the Honda in a north/south direction so it'd clear the drive system and adapting the Craftsman deadman control to the Snapper handle, I put together the best mower I've ever owned... Starts first pull(it also has a real choke), and the OHC 5.5Hp Honda will plow effortlessly through grass that'd kill the old flat head Briggs if it was just near it... Oil?? Filled it with Synthetic Mobil 1 0W-40 European spec and it hasn't used enough in 2.5 years to add any, going to change it soon...

OH yeah the first Craftsman??? Traded it for another Snapper, that one is a 1987 model... Had some issues but I had enough pieces from ones I'd junked to make a decent mower from it...

35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:53 pm

I have a newer Snapper rider. I like it.
And an AMT push mower for the areas I can rider over...circa 2000. I ran it out of oil twice. It has the original plug and takes a lot of priming to start but I can't seem to destroy it. It used to start first or second pull.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:53 am

I've been using a Black & Decker for the last 19 years. the first went for 10 years before I replaced it with the current one. They are basically 3 1/2 horse 18" cut mowers. No rope, no oil, no gas, no plugs, no filters, no blisters.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:25 am

@35Z5 With all these bent or broken crankshafts I have to ask; "What the hell are you mowing, a rock pile".......LOL  Very Happy 

I has a snapper rider years ago, a Comet 30, it was a good mower.

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:13 am

LOL The one was already bent when I got it... Shortly after I mounted the Honda engine I got another 4Hp B&S engine with same crank that has a loose valve seat but as much as I like the Honda engine, I'll probably never fix it though...

The broken one I was helping a neighbor and got a little too close to a small plum tree stump, just went thunk & cut off...

This was result...

Last edited by 35Z5 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:16 am

I still run a 1988 Snapper that I bought new with its original Briggs Quantum engine. I use Mobil 1 in it and my old '93 John Deere "walk behind" mower. Both of them run like brand new. These old mowers have real throttles, real chokes, and no self-propelled garbage to cause trouble. The Snapper has had two sets of wheels, the John Deere one set, and the Deere runs its original blade still.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:44 am

For longevity and ease of operation I'll put the Snapper drive system up against anything out there... Has a real RWD differential, can make U turns with the power applied, try that with the solid axle front driver(what was on the Craftsman neighbor gave me, total crap)... In almost 30 years(since '85) I've replaced four wheels(all front), three or four drive belts, a couple blades and one pot metal pulley wore out the V-groove (only pot metal one I've seen, most are steel)... Bearing was bad in same pulley on the Snapper I traded for, but I've never had one fail... I did put new drive shaft bearings in the differential I overhauled for the Snappahond, but really weren't bad...

Thing to remember none of these were new, all were at least 12-15 years old when I got them and another 12-15 years when I finish with them(though I may take the Snappahond to the grave with me)...

BTW I thought I'd miss the throttle control on the Honda engine but with the Snapper six speed drive system, forgot about it after the first couple times I cut grass...
35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:10 pm

I have a Black and Decker electric mower with flip handle. "nuff said.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1041
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by simplex1040 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:11 am

I am using a 1977 Snapper I bought for $40, original engine. I am going to have to replace the original tires this year. Starts on 1st pull. I had electric start on it but tore up the teeth on the starter, and the magnet came unglued inside starter. I have a new starter but I am lazy. I had to put a " new " carb on it this season as I cross threded the bowl nut and cracked the carb.
simplex1040

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2008-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:28 am

After seeing the under deck on Tom's Snapper, it reminds me of the time I put a "chipper" blade on mine to suck up acorns. It picked up the acorns, and it shined the bottom of the deck like chrome. The JD has a cast magnesium deck and it is not as tough as the steel Snapper deck. I only use the JD on the bluegrass in my front yard. That is why the blade has lasted so long. The Deere does a smoother job of mowing, but the Snapper picks up debris better. I run bags on both of them.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top