My new Connie Francis record

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My new Connie Francis record

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:21 pm

I just love auctions!

I bought a stack of records at an auction. There is nary a stereo record in the stack. What I was after was a Cliffie Stone record. My dad has most of the songs on it on 78, but I wanted the LP version. In the stack of largely square dance and barn dance records, there was a Connie Francis record. "Brylcreem presents Sing Along With Connie Francis". On the Mati-Mor Superecords label, #8002, dated 1957. With the Jordanaires, Orchestra and chorus directed by Joe Mele, arranged by Cliff Parman. I have never heard of any of these people with the exception of Connie Francis and the Jordanaires. This rather obscure record label was the product of The General Harmonics and Video Corp., New York, NY, USA. On the back of the record album is an advertisement for Brylcreem that goes:

BRYLCREEM
a little dab'll do ya!

BRYLCREEM
you'll look so debonaire

BRYLCREEM
the gas'll all pursue ya!
They'll love to get their fingers in your hair!

This record is not representative of the typical Connie Francis album. The orchestra is rather dance band based, with a harmonica, banjo, no drums, a bass and rythmn guitars. Connie Francis does considerable talking on this album. I had never really heard her talk that I remember. The songs are different for Connie as well. "The Band Played On", "You Tell Me Your Dreams", "Down In The Valley", "Home On The Range" and other "sing along" favorites of the day. Ms. Francis was born in 1939, so she would have been a teenager when she recorded this. The record and jacket are in nearly perfect condition, so this one is a keeper.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top