Upgrading a tube guitar.

Go down

Upgrading a tube guitar. Empty Upgrading a tube guitar.

Post by terrydec on Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:35 pm

I've spread the word around the local music stores that I work on tube equipment.  I've done a couple of amps and it's amazing the difference that a few new caps, cleaned controls and switches, and a shined up cabinet can make.  I always get the remark that it sounds "Better than when it was new".   Not really, it just sounds better than it did but I encourage the illusion. (")

I recently picked up a LANEY series II amp.  I think that it's English.  The first problem is that it didn't work. I said I'd fix it and also offered the extra $50 "renew" option.  When I opened it up I found a 1K 5 watt resistor that got so hot before it blew that the remaining carbon actually measured a few meg ohms.  The burnt resistor had  created a resistor.  I dug out the burnt section, ran new wires to replace the missing traces and went ahead with new diodes and caps, even though they tested "Good".  Apparently this amp is very impedance sensitive.  It has a switch for 8 or 16 ohms.  The owner said that when he first hooked it up it worked for a few minutes then went out.  Yeah, I bet it did.  I'm going to suggest that he doesn't hook it up to the same, (probably 4 ohm), speaker

Now I'll replace all of the old signal and filter caps, check the bias on the outputs, clean the controls, replace some of the old shielded cable, shine up the cabinet and make $50 for a half hour of labor and a few cheap parts.  Of course he'll tell his friends too, and you can't put a price on that.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Upgrading a tube guitar. Empty Re: Upgrading a tube guitar.

Post by 75X11 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:57 am

It appears they have the money to spend. They may as well be spending it with someone who will give them some value for it. Hope the good word gets around for you.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:00 am

Let's see.  What is the most disgusting thing I can think of?  Ah yes.  Kissing Rosie O'Donnell.  

Let me simply say this.  I would rather plant one on Rosie O'Donnell square on the kisser, WITH TONGUE, than to even lay eyes on a guitar amplifier, tube or otherwise.  I will send them all your way, and I wish you only the best.   Laughing 

Keep guitar amps, church organs and two-cycle engines as far away from me as possible. It takes divine intervention to fix this stuff.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:09 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:Let's see.  What is the most disgusting thing I can think of?  Ah yes.  Kissing Rosie O'Donnell.  

Let me simply say this.  I would rather plant one on Rosie O'Donnell square on the kisser, WITH TONGUE, than to even lay eyes on a guitar amplifier, tube or otherwise.  I will send them all your way, and I wish you only the best.   Laughing 

Keep guitar amps, church organs and two-cycle engines as far away from me as possible.  It takes divine intervention to fix this stuff.

WC

What? You aren't aware of the Fender experimental tube guitar? There was a different 27 type tube for each chord.
 What a Face 
Blame it on a senior moment. I realized my mistake and hit the send button at the same time. So sue me.

Wow! Sue was the name of my first love-unrequited of course.
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1124
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down