Looking for a signal generator!

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Looking for a signal generator!

Post by Bell Ringer on Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:13 pm

I spotted this oldie on Ebay .I just need something simple for touching up ifs in some Transoceanic. I like the old stuff too many buttons on all this hi tech stuff. I plan on going to the SCARS antique radio show in Los Angeles on sat. Maybe look around for something then.Anyone use one of these.http://www.ebay.com/itm/351022297770?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Bell Ringer

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-04-24

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for a signal generator!

Post by Dale H. Cook on Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:23 pm

For a basic service-type oscillator it is overpriced. I often see General Radio Type 1001-A standard signal generators closing there for less, and the Radio City oscillator isn't even qualified to shine the GR's shoes. The GR was a very successful tube based lab-grade generator, and simpler to use than its big brother, the GR 805-C that I own (and I paid less for that than the asking price for the Radio City). You should find it easy enough to use, and the manual is at BAMA.
Dale H. Cook

Number of posts : 86
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bell Ringer on Fri Jun 20, 2014 1:01 pm

Thanks Dale for your input.I picked up a GR generator on Ebay last night.Looks clean and with adapters here it is.http://www.ebay.com/itm/151284962793?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Bell Ringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale H. Cook on Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:20 pm

That should serve your needs nicely. Get the manual from BAMA and read it thoroughly before using the 1001-A. The two 874-to-BNC adapters are good for you to have - not everyone owns a large tacklebox of 874 adapters, filters, pads, cable etc. as I do, but then, I own a number of GR instruments with 874 connectors.
Dale H. Cook

Back to top Go down

Post by Bell Ringer on Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:29 pm

Thanks Dale for all your good input.The generator came through shipping very well even with some holes poked through the outer box.I am amazed how clean this unit is,its a real beauty.The Ebayer did an great job packing with lots of cardboard layers and lots of bubble wrap.It had no power cord with it and I just noticed the prongs are located off center.I have not had time to mess with anything on it as I am busy with a couple of other projects. Where should I look for a new  power cord.I think back to the early 60s when I worked in aerospace and used the GR equipment.It was great stuff to work with.I will try to post a picture when I get going on this project. Thanks

Bell Ringer

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale H. Cook on Wed Jun 25, 2014 1:10 pm

Bell Ringer wrote:Where should I look for a new  power cord.
The 1001-As that I have seen (and the one shown in my manual) have a male connector on the chassis that mates with a conventional single-outlet 3-conductor extension cord. Such cords often have plastic "ears" on the outlet that have to be carved off to mate with a GR instrument which uses a recessed 3-pin male connector.
Dale H. Cook

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top