Zenith H661R

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Zenith H661R

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:34 pm

A friend of mine brought me this radio/phono combo to "get it working" again.  It has the infamous Zenith Cobra cartridge in it.  Would someone be good enough to refresh my memory on troubleshooting this system?  I have read about it, but have never actually serviced one.  I understand it works on RF rather than audio voltage.  Thanks for your help.

The schematic is in 1951 Beitmans, Page 153, and, more completely in Riders 21, Pages 27-29. The CobraMatic supplement is in 1951 Beitman's Pages 159 to 165.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5285
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Zenith H661R

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 12:23 pm

I guess nobody knows more about this than I do, so the search is on for why this cartridge appears to be dead. I followed the troubleshooting guide in Beitmans and it leads me to that conclusion. Looks to me like just replacing this PITA Zenith Radionic contraption with a normal cartridge and being done with it is the easiest thing to do. The owner could care less as long as he can ruin his records with this antique abomination. Magnavox certainly had no competetion from Zenith when this thing was made. It appears to me like a 6N02 AA5 chassis with a 12J5 hung gingerly on the rear of the chassis is all this thing is with performance to match. The good news is that the radio works well, and does not have silver mica disease.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by frank1956 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 1:59 pm

cheers 
frank1956

Number of posts : 410
Registration date : 2014-06-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:36 pm

Thanks for your encouragement, Frank. To top it all off, the needle is broken, so that requires replacing the cartridge in any case. The needle is welded to the "stainless steel vein?" Really? If this rig were mine, I would see if it would float.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Fearing that I may have been a bit abrupt earlier, allow me to clarify a bit.

This record player is owned by a man who have been more brother than friend to me for over 40 years. Lately, due to his admiration for my collection of radio stuff, he has been picking up and digging out of storage certain items he has gotten over the years. They say that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I need to be grateful for that. This Zenith player caught his fancy and he asked me about it. I told him to run away, not walk, so he bought it. It is in nice condition, and he thought it was cute. He gave huge money for it, because it "works." We all have heard that line before. I am going to suggest, in light of my inspection thereof, that we transplant, at least temporarily, a BSR stereo table into this player to get him up and running. We will preserve the original table in case he wants to spend the money to fix it, or he wants to sell the player as original. He thought that $20 would "fix her up" and was shocked that this was not the case. We'll see what happens. I don't want to leave the wrong impression here. I am just not a Zenith fan and the old "I told you so" was swimming thru my brain as I typed what I wrote above. Sorry for any misunderstanding.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top