Some Extra Fun

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Some Extra Fun

Post by 75X11 on Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:50 am

I have been working bench repair since February on Motorola XTS2500 and 5000 H/T's.  the authority has about 3-4,000 of them and we do much of the repair on them.  It is a job that uses up most of the day.  so I hear my boss bragging to one of his fellow executives that we could work on anything.  Today the freind decided to take us up on it. He brought along his sick Bose wave radio.  One sucker in the mobile repair bench bit and decided to tear into it.  I asked him if he had been told the story of brer rabbit and the tar baby.  he asked what in the h*** that had to do with anything.  Now the sucker is trying to put it back together so the friend can take it to a real place.  We will have story time this afternoon.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: Some Extra Fun

Post by Motorola man on Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:47 pm

An' the tar baby, he say nuthin'

I think that I'd rather at least attempt to work on the Bose, than the XTS. I guess that I have a short attention span and get bored with working on the same model radio every day. I always welcome a chance to work on something different, even if I can't fix it. I like the break in the monotony.

Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:12 pm

The trouble with that is we are hip deep in these things as the authority wants PM testing carried out on them. That, coupled with the "regular" service orders on these things leaves little time for much else. We are starting to incorporate APX units into our inventory now, and the departments that have them refuse to utilize warranty repair service on them and send them to us. We have no spares inventory, but my boss swears to them that we do and are yearning and burning to fix them.  Rolling Eyes 
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Jun 12, 2014 6:38 pm

I can hardly wait to really start working on APXs. Sarcasm doesn't translate well in text, but believe me, there was plenty of it there. I've only had a couple come in for repair so far. They were still under warranty, so they went to the depot. :-)
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:12 pm

There are 3 techs in my area and I'm the only one who has replaced fuses in either XTS radio. I had my supervisor to buy a luxo wave lamp so I can see what I'm doing. When I replaced my first, I had him hold out his hand. I put the fuse in it. I told him that is a 3 amp fuse I just replaced and this is why you got me the magnifier. He was suitably impressed. Thank goodness I hadn't lost my touch.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:13 pm

Most people would say, "I don't see it, where's it at?" For those of you who aren't familiar with today's surface mount components, the fuse that 75X11 is referring to, is about the same size as a course grain of sand. Good job sir, there aren't that many people with the skills to do that task by hand.
Motorola man

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:13 am

Thank you. This job has its' difficulties but I tell those who work around me that is even more stressful when those who give you your work are paying for it and can go elsewhere to have their service done. A commercial facility is a constant challenge to prove it's worth to the customer.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top