Magnavox history

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Magnavox history

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:28 am

Let's get this started so everybody can add their tidbits of information as it progresses. If you have any information whatsoever, please feel free to jump in here.

Magnavox (Latin for "great voice") started in 1915 by Edwin Pridham and Peter L. Jensen, after their invention of a moving coil loudspeaker, at their lab in Napa, CA. They formed Magnavox in 1917 to market their invention. Magnavox built radio, TV, record players, and, in the 1970's, introduced video games and VideoDisc players. Magnavox is now a brand built by Funai, under license form parent Philips. Philips bought Magnavox in 1974 for the VideoDisc business. Magnavox was headquartered in Ft. Wayne, IN, with plants in Ft. Wayne, Springfield, MO, and Oakland, CA, perhaps others.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Magnavox history

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:41 pm

WC, that is really educational, I never realized the roots of Magnavox went that far back in history and of course very interesting to learn about Peter Jensen (I assume of Jensen speaker fame) was associated with them. Did Peter eventually move on to produce speakers under the "Jensen" name for other manufactures?
Thanks, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:24 pm

Peter Jensen did start Jensen Speakers. The founders of Magnavox went their seperate ways when Magnavox moved its headquarters to Indiana. The exact year I do not know, yet. Jensen and Magnavox were associated for a number of years. You may recall the Magnavox Windsor series of instruments from the late 1940's that utilized Jensen speakers. Jensen not only produced speakers for retail, but also supplied speakers for equipment manufacturers as factory equipment.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top