Using Gojo to clean cabinets

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Using Gojo to clean cabinets

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:40 pm

I read about using Gojo to clean cabinets on "that other forum", so this is not an idea that I dreamed up. It was suggested that applying Gojo, Goop, or other waterless hand cleaner to cabinets with 0000 steel wool was just the cat's pajamas for removing dirt, furniture polish, finger prints and other gunge. The kind recommended was the smooth, white stuff, and not the orange with pumice kind.

I decided to use this method on my Concert Grand. Not having done this before, I chickened out on using 0000 steel wool, and used a chunk of cheesecloth instead. I made a pad of cheesecloth, dipped the pad in the hand cleaner and applied it liberally to the cabinet, one section at a time. I wiped it with the grain, until it started turning liquid. I let it set for two or three minutes. Then I put more Goop on the cheesecloth, and rubbed it again, again with the grain. I was amazed at the amount of old black crud that came off. I took a terry cloth towel, damp but not dripping and wiped the dirty material off. I rinsed the towel and wiped, repeating this process until nothing came off on the towel. I wiped the surface dry and repeated on the next panel, and so on, until I had the entire top and both sides done. I let this dry for an hour or so, then applied orange oil. The difference, as promised, was truly amazing. Breathtaking. I have a radio cabinet that I was planning to refinish that I am going to use Goop and 0000 steel wool on, just for practice. I admit to being skeptical, but it works.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Using Gojo to clean cabinets

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:09 am

And if you like GoJo, you'll really like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000HBIAGS?pc_redir=1401979859&robot_redir=1

Supposedly I read a furniture restorer recommended it.

It smells great and will make scratches all but completely disappear.

I use cheap paper towels (just the right roughness) as I found steel wool is too easy to forget what pressure you should be using and go too far (been there done that).
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 7:06 am

I was really leery about using steel wool on my Concert Grand. Not that I doubted the effectiveness of the procedure, but rather my abilities. And as you so aptly pointed out, Doc, I would rather have to do it twice, than to go too far. My experience has caused me to doubt the necessity of using steel wool at all. I used a small amount of Goop on places on the chassis to remove some kind of sticky gunge that had attracted dirt. I ike cheap, home remedy type products, rather than having to remember to buy some exotic sauce of some kind.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kbruce on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:21 am

I just used  the hand cleaner on my recently acquired Philco 509X and I also just used cleaning rags. The result was stunning for me also. Usually I use the 0000 steel wool but rub easy with it.
y2kbruce

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2014-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 11:32 am

I remember my mother used to use murhhy's oil soap on her piano, organ and other wood furniture and on kitchen cabinets. Would it be an adequate product for such cabinets?
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:58 pm

75, Murphy's Oil Soap is fine for cabinets. I use it sometimes myself. My Concert Grand cabinet has some kind of slimy gunge on it that Windex, Murphys, and a couple others would not touch. I did not want to use turpentine on this cabinet. Then I read the thread on ARF about using waterless hand cleaner. I gave it a shot and I am impressed. Like others have mentioned, I am still leery of using steel wool.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:15 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:I like cheap, home remedy type products, rather than having to remember to buy some exotic sauce of some kind.

WC

WC,

Smile

Nothin' exotic about it. Last time I checked, it's in the cleaner and shop towel area of Auto Zone.

Just something to try if you run out of GoJo.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:24 pm

I have used Gojo on leatherette covered cabinets like portable radios,record players,tape recorders with great results.That slimy grunge might be wax or polish bulid up.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 08, 2014 9:28 pm

Thanks, Doc and Doug. Doc, I am a retired auto mechanic, and it is a cardinal sin around here to be out of hand cleaner, for obvious reasons. Thanks for the tip. And Doug, I have no idea what the stuff was, but it was stubborn to remove. Goop got it. Now I need to find some Johnson's paste wax. Walmart should have it.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top