invention

Go down

invention Empty invention

Post by terrydec on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:18 pm

I have an idea for a really good invention.  You'll have to trust me, it really is good.  Now I hear of all these "Start up" websites.  Do any of you know about these and will they steal my invention.  

P.S. Yes I have sent a registered letter to myself outlining the basic concept.  I'll give one hint.  What would you do if your wallet were stolen?
terrydec
terrydec

Number of posts : 1126
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

invention Empty Re: invention

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:37 pm

I have yet to see anyone who has used invention help businesses say they were spurred on their success by their help. Most of their ads on television come with a painfully obvious disclaimer that success should probably not be expected using their services. Most folk who have seen a profit from their inventions have made and sold their product on their own, while trying to protect their patent rights from someone that just latches onto your idea. That involves legal intervention, and it can be expensive. Usually, you have to make and sell it until a business takes an interest and offers to buy you out for the right price. That is how the Swiffer brand has evolved.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4468
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Jun 05, 2014 5:10 pm

I'm referring to the articles in magazines like Popular Science or Popular Mechanics about people that have help getting a "Kick start" to develop an idea , or help with raising the money, sometimes millions.  One guy in a recent article raised a ton of money on his website from contributors.  He came up with a virtual reality eyeglass. He later sold the concept for tons of money. However these articles never mention the sites or how they were contacted.  I guess some of it is creating a website, but how do you get people's attention.  I've tried to find 'off the shelf' components for this project but can't find what I need. I mainly need help to miniaturize the components.  Except for one main component I can find everything else I need, but it would be as big as a pack of cigarettes.  I need something the size of a credit card for one part and the other has to fit on a key fob.  I really wish I could disclose the idea, because you'd agree that it would fill a need, or at least find a niche.  I can describe and illustrate it but the patent office needs a working model.  This is really frustrating.  I was kind of hoping someone here would be familiar with some of these sites.  There is even a TV show about this but once again you need a working model.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Jun 05, 2014 6:30 pm

I wish I did know.  You might also do a little bit of research into patent attorneys.  See if there may be informative websites for some.  I also wonder if there might be inventors' forums?
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:00 pm

It's not something like this is it?

www.thetileapp.com

For raising funds (with stipulations):

kickstarter.com

If you need help with parts, let me know, you don't have to disclose anything, but I may be able to help you out as I work in a design, engineering and manufacturing firm which deals with parts down to 0201 outlines.

I would not even waste my time with one of those "we'll help you bring your invention to life " invention firms found on tv, internet and in print ads.

Unfortunately in today's world, doing things the "official way" is all but totally impossible for the little guy thanks to big money corporations that have influenced the proceedings and patent processes to their advantages. If you were a multimillionaire, you'd have a pretty good chance .
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 910
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Alright- I'm going to take a chance and trust all of you because if I do maybe you have some suggestions.

What happens if somebody steals your wallet or purse?  You go to buy something and realize that your wallet is missing.

Well, what if your wallet were stolen and when the thief got about 15 feet away your wallet or purse would start screaming like crazy.  Maybe making a high screeching sound or even saying "Help-I've been stolen-stop thief.

The screaming part, or receiver, could not be larger than a card or something else that would fit inside your wallet.  The transmitter could fit in a pocket but a key fob would be better because you would never forget it.  A side advantage would be locating your wallet after your dog stuffed it under the couch.

So- there it is.  I call it "The Wallet Watcher".

If someone can make a phone thinner than a cracker then there is a way to make this.  Unfortunately I don't know how to make the connection to someone who can do that.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:15 am

That's why they invented wallet chains. Another way is to sew fish-hooks inside your wallet pocket just for those situations. But wait, you could glue your phone to your wallet, with its GPS and track it. Or you could wear your wallet inside your front pants pocket. Or just get a very mean dog on a leash, and train it to respond to thievery.

or Velcro your wallet to the inside of your pocket. Or just have your Wife carry your wallet, but then she might use it herself Rolling Eyes 

Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:01 pm

Resistance is Futile wrote:That's why they invented wallet chains. Another way is to sew fish-hooks inside your wallet pocket just for those situations. But wait, you could glue your phone to your wallet, with its GPS and track it. Or you could wear your wallet inside your front pants pocket. Or just get a very mean dog on a leash, and train it to respond to thievery.

or Velcro your wallet to the inside of your pocket. Or just have your Wife carry your wallet, but then she might use it herself Rolling Eyes 

Yeah, Those are all good  Rolling Eyes  ideas.  Mostly impracticable, but good.

( Note to self- NEVER reveal a work in progress.)
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:07 pm

The problem with that idea, Terry, as I see it, involves the electronics part. Idiots like me could maybe not operate it. Especially if there are passwords or programming involved. I would, therefore, have to resort to Cliff's idea. Let my wife handle the money. I do that, anyways, so......

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4925
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:16 pm

I had an idea that was what it was. You might look into the devices sold for parents that sounds an alarm when a child gets too far from them. They have been on the market for awhile now and may afford some ideas for off the shelf possibilities. Prototyping an item like that could run into some money, unless you live near one of our nations' great schools of engineering.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:33 pm

I hate to mention this, but it just occurred to me that many credit cards are now RFID readable and there could be some problems with proximity detection to activate any alarm.
75X11
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:51 pm

75X11 wrote:I had an idea that was what it was.  You might look into the devices sold for parents that sounds an alarm when a child gets too far from them.  They have been on the market for awhile now and may afford some ideas for off the shelf possibilities.  Prototyping an item like that could run into some money, unless you live near one of our nations' great schools of engineering.

Actually I do, The U of L Engineering school.  But I doubt anything could happen unless I meet some student.

I've thought of the baby device, and the dog collar.  Both are of course too cumbersome.  This is the exact opposite of an RFD tag.  That sounds an alarm if not disengaged by the cashier. This would sound an alarm until disengaged by the owner.  It's the proximity effect that is hard to over come.  I contacted one of my favorite companies, Ramsey, where I bought my whole house FM transmitter, (I heard it almost a block away working on my truck- sorry, just bragging).  They agree that it's the proximity effect and miniaturization that are the problems.

Ya gotta admit though, it's a pretty good idea.  Maybe I could sell it to someone that could actually manufacture it.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:01 pm

That wouldn't work either, because all the thief would have to do is wrap the wallet in foil.
Resistance is Futile
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:04 am

Resistance is Futile wrote:That wouldn't work either, because all the thief would have to do is wrap the wallet in foil.

Except that by the time he figures out that it needs to be wrapped in foil everybody will be looking at him because he's carrying a screaming wallet.  Assuming he got away there will be several people that could positively identify the person.

I once got robbed.  It was my own fault, I wasn't paying attention.  They were just kids.  One grabbed me around the neck and tried to wrestle me to the ground while the other grabbed my wallet.  Now like anybody with any sense I keep my money in a front pocket.  My wallet had a couple of bucks in food stamps.  Anyway, we were running through a park that had several people in it.  I was screaming out that I'd been robbed and yelling for everybody to look at his face.  Of course he dropped the wallet.  He did have time to get the food stamps.  When the police caught him the fact that he had the same amount of food stamps I told them was enough to arrest him.

Now pay VERY CLOSE ATTENTION TO THIS PART.  There were a total of five hearings.  If I had not been physically present at every one, even though I was never called in, they would have gone free.  The last time, (#6) I finally identified them.  The court appointed attorney kept trying to attack my version of events but couldn't shake me.  They were kids so I have no idea what the final disposition was.  The point is that if I had to be at work, was sick, etc., the case would have been dropped.

My next lesson will be why innocent people confess to crimes they didn't commit, and trust me-they do because it happened to a friend of mine.
terrydec
terrydec

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum