Repairing cassette decks

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Repairing cassette decks

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed May 21, 2014 9:55 pm

I have two cassette decks that refuse to function. My suspicion is that the belts are broken or otherwise disfunctional. Have any of you had experience attempting to repair one of these? Do you have any information you would care to share, such as parts availability, etc? Thanks

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Repairing cassette decks

Post by willy3486 on Wed May 21, 2014 10:19 pm

How does it act? If you put in a tape and it just sits there it may be belts. I use a rubber rejuvinator on it that can be picked up at many repair shops. You can sometimes get them to work if they won't by using this to clean them. I think some VCR belts may work. I have wondered if a O ring would work but I have never tried one. I use to fix these years ago for a living. You may try rubbing alcohol in a jam to clean the belts. Most of the old belts I have that were new in the late 70s to early 80s have gotten so old they just come apart.If it seems like it is working but the spindle won't turn its probably a belt.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu May 22, 2014 8:01 am

MCM electronics is usually a good source for replacement belts and some subassemblies. They're worth a look.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Thu May 22, 2014 8:35 am

The few that I have worked on were belts.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Thu May 22, 2014 4:34 pm

Only tried one, the one in the radio of my Saturn, a multi stack CD/tape player. I was fairly certain it was a belt but after taking the radio out (easy) and removing everything I could, I saw no way to get to the cassette player short of explosives. I gave up.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 22, 2014 9:43 pm

I have two, a Fisher and a Sharp. The Fisher's problem is that when I put in a tape and push the "play" button, something clicks and it won't work. Fast forward and rewind will work. The Sharp will rewind and fast forward, but will not do anything on "play". I would like to fix at least the Fisher. I will see what MCM has, and I thank you for that information. Thank you all for your replies. I may give this a shot. I have a busted CD player as well. If I can get one of these cassette decks repaired, I may give the CD player a go.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu May 22, 2014 10:11 pm

WC keep in mind that the belt may have stretched a little. I have seen them do that and act up. So if it looks a little big it may be. If it seems a little big the you may want to get the next size smaller in length. If you happen to have a rubber band the same size try it. I have done that to see how they would do. But replace it.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Thanks, Willy. I have never attempted working on one of these. I used to mess with 8 tracks in car radios a little, but hated working on them. I may give this a go, once I get my bench cleaned off a tad.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri May 23, 2014 6:52 am

One thing I have found that works pretty well for making idler tires and many rubber products more rubbery as opposed to dry and glazed is this lubricant. Rubber absorbs it and it does not deteriorate it like other lubricants. It is used as an o-ring lubricant and keeps them flexible and leakproof. I put a coating on the item to be treated and wipe it off after about 3 hours.

http://www.harborfreight.com/85-gram-super-lube-grease-cartridge-93744.html
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by terrydec on Sun May 25, 2014 4:15 pm

There is a good rubber restorer on the market.  Remember to lay out the parts exactly as you remove them, especially screws.

I once had a service call to repair this lady's Nakamichi deck.  I had never worked on one and it just needed belts but you had to practically dis-assemble the entire deck.  Of course the owner, a nice lady, was sitting on the couch watching me destroy her thousand dollar deck.  So I laid out a white towel and carefully put each part in a row.  After I replaced the belts, did some extra service like degaussing the heads, restoring the rubber, etc, I put it back together and it worked perfectly.  I even got a nice tip.
terrydec

Number of posts : 1052
Registration date : 2010-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top