300-75 ohm matching balun xfmr

Go down

300-75 ohm matching balun xfmr

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 16, 2014 2:43 am

I have a Nintendo and would like to hook it up to my 1980's 19" TV but it only has VHF & UHF screws on it. I was considering buying an inexpensive (4.00) matching balun transformer off the bay but then got curious if I could possibly make one for a little more than I could buy one. Only because I know eventually the connectors break and then once you strip the short wires they keep breaking and then by that time it's done. I figured if I could make one it would not only be better quality, but be repairable to an extent. So, is there a way I can make one, and if so what parts do I need? I figured I could use 16 or 18 gauge wire to attach to the TV and an old 75 ohm connector out of a TV or VCR. If i'm thinking wrong or if it would be something not worth doing or not be able to be made please tell me.. Thanks

Last edited by tuberadiogeek on Fri May 16, 2014 2:44 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Correcting spelling)
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: 300-75 ohm matching balun xfmr

Post by Bill Cahill on Fri May 16, 2014 3:41 pm

The balun cols are so cheap you would be better off using them. A warning. Regular TV's aren't well suited to video games, and, the game could be burned into the phosphor....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4582
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Fri May 16, 2014 8:27 pm

Not worth the effort... If you want to make one last, secure the body to a piece of pref board and the flying leads to banana jacks to connect the 300 ohm...

Don't worry about burning a conventional TV, chances are so small it ain't worth mentioning... Now on a pro-jo TV it's easy to burn the tubes, as they are about 20-25x brighter than a conventional TV... Seen lots of those burned(especially a DVD start up screen or the QVC phone number)conventional sets only if left on for literally weeks...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down