The Rites Of Spring

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Rites Of Spring

Post by 75X11 on Wed May 14, 2014 8:36 am

Had to get out the spare blade, remove the one from my mower and sharpen and balance them to get the grass and sweetgum balls mowed. I still have to use my 50ft. 16/3 cord after the hedge trimmer accident last year. Anyone know a source for a 12/2 75ft. outdoor cord? It needs to be factory made, as the plug ends take a lot of action and heavy duty small connectors are hard to find. The poor old cactus took a lot of abuse during the cold snaps and the storms, but it is putting out a load of new lobes so I can get out my cactus trimmer and cut away the withered and woody lobes. I had a carwash brush with a good handle that broke. I cut it down to 3 ft., split the end and used a hose clamp to fix a Rada aluminum handled butcher knife to it. I use that and a pair of fireplace tongs to do the trimming. I also have a loong pair of bacon tongs to remove the ripe fruits from the plant. They are a real mess when struck with the string trimmer! My victrola flies have not come back yet, and I have looked the hedge trimmer over and over, and there is no sign that it had ever bit a cord.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: The Rites Of Spring

Post by Guest on Wed May 14, 2014 9:08 am

I use 2 extension cords for my hedge trimmer. I use a short cord (6 ft.) between the trimmer and my long cord. You should be able to get a cheap, 6 ft. cord that will fit your trimmer. If it does get cut again you won't wipe out an expensive 75 ft. extension cord.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed May 14, 2014 9:10 am

Why do you want to go from a 3 wire to a 2 wire cord? Is the trimmer double insulated?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed May 14, 2014 11:44 am

If you buy gasoline powered equipment, you don't have to worry about cutting the cord.  Laughing 

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed May 14, 2014 12:15 pm

Each of my yardening and gardening machines (except for the cactus trimmer  Very Happy ) are double insulated. The only reason that I have a 3 wire cord is because I can't find a 2 wire. I bought the accidentalized cord for my first new mower in 1997. That mower lasted until 2009. I use a trimmer that is laid out like a gas model with the motor at the user's end and the cord hanging from there. That is one area where a lighter cord helps. To get the edges of my back yard, I had to attach a 50 ft 12 ga. 3 wire to my 75 ft. 2 wire. I also have to make a correction, the 75 footer was 14 gauge.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed May 14, 2014 2:45 pm

Oh, and WC, my washer and dryer are in the garage along with my yard weapons. That gas really smells up the joint, though not as bad as when the dogs go in my yard and the cord goes through it.  Mad 
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed May 14, 2014 5:35 pm

Point well taken, 75.

Lowes used to sell a "Contractor" power cord with three outlets that was #12 and was 100 feet long. As I recall, it was fairly expensive, but was harder to damage, and was weatherproof. I am not aware whether it is still available, but it might be worth a check. They sell squirters for your garden hose to clean dog do off your power cord. Good luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top