My TV Tube Radio

Go down

My TV Tube Radio

Post by 35Z5 on Thu May 08, 2014 7:24 pm

I built this a little over five years to show how even useless tubes can be used... Actually it was for a informal contest, but I was the only one to complete a build... I just recently deleted the 4BZ7 detector/1st audio tube as the audio stage isn't needed and detector is replaced with a 1N34 diode...

Orig audio & P/S

Top of chassis, was orig a Motorola AM/FM...

Silvertone 4422 cabinet, orig chassis was eaten by battery corrosion, had to patch a fist sized hole in bottom... The dial scale, it's mount and cabinet are only orig parts... Only orig parts to Motorola are chassis and maybe a tube socket or two(Nope I see screws in all their mounting, scratch sockets)... One power transformer came from a commercial 1983 B&W computer monitor, the other powered the solid state audio amp in a 52" Magnavox Pro-Jo TV... Audio amp & output tubes were orig used as vertical amp & output in GE Portacolor TV... The 19AU4 were damper tubes in series string B&W sets and other were small signal for tuner, or IF video amp...

35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Re: My TV Tube Radio

Post by Dr. Radio on Thu May 08, 2014 8:59 pm

Very nice Tom. Based on your other posts, seems like you enjoying 'tube engineering' on the side.

Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed May 14, 2014 6:39 am

That is a well executed project! It is good to see that such a design can be built using components that people are now overlooking because they have no value apparent to many. As sources for tubes dry up, it is refreshing to see new uses for an alternate supply for new project work.
75X11

Number of posts : 4896
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Fri May 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed sorting out the bugs, not much that didn't get changed two or three times...
35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:48 am

Greetings to the Forum and 35Z5 (is it Tom)?

As a new member, I just found this....

VERY impressive piece of engineering.... shows great originality and high skill level.

Regards,
Jim T.
KB6GM

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks Jim, was a lot of fun to build... Best part is except for the 19AU4 that I maybe have $2 in four, and the R/S volume and bass controls, I had everything else on hand... Most was from a old friends long closed TV shop...

BTW welcome to the board...

Tom
35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by frankb on Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:06 pm

Note that 35Z5 even fused it Very Happy .
Great job using the "useless" tubes.

frankb

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-09-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down