Making a swing frame

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Making a swing frame

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon May 05, 2014 9:10 pm

My old kids swing frame I had a porch swing on finally broke down and was no longer fixable so I opted to try to build a frame. I purchased some inexpensive lumber from the store but my first attempt at building one failed. I bought some 6 foot long 2x4's and 4x4's since the legs on the kids frame were about that long and since I only have a car. So that leads me to the question, can I safely and securely attach the 2x4's into the end of the 4x4 with lag bolts? I tried bolting the 2x4's on either side of the 4x4 but that did not work very well. I know I should of used larger lumber but i was trying to keep the cost down and prevent having to have someone haul the lumber for me. The swing is only going to hold me for the most part, which is around 200 pounds.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Making a swing frame

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 05, 2014 11:48 pm

If you go to Lowe's on the HD, you can buy a swing kit, comprised of metal brackets that allow you to use 4X4's for the uprights, and a 4X4 to swing the seats off of. You can set the uprights in concrete if you desire. This will make a strong, safe swing, but will be better built and cheaper than anything you can buy out of the box. Good luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Tue May 06, 2014 12:30 am

My cousin said something about a bracket but I wasn't sure exactly what he was talking about. Now that you said something about a kit, I looked on Lowes website and only could find brackets. I'm guessing you are talking about these? http://goo.gl/G9PGv6 I don't go to Lowes much mainly because I always got in the habit of going to Menards for most of my plumbing and electrical needs. The funny thing is both stores are on the same road and less than a mile from each other.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue May 06, 2014 1:06 pm

At just seeing the title, I thought you were going to weld one up.  Smile 
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 06, 2014 5:31 pm

When I was a manager at Lowe's, there was a swing endcap in Lumber. Down by the insulation. There was any number of doodads there to help you build a swing set/outdoor gym. Slides, teeter totters, stuff like that. There was a plastic bag that contained all the brackets and braces to build a swing. I remember you had to have four 8' treated 4x4's and a 12' 4x4 for the top bar. The eye hooks for the swing chains came in the kit as well. It was really a good deal. Menards might have the same thing, if you prefer them. Good luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed May 07, 2014 7:45 pm

I wish I had steel and a welder to build one out of steel, but i do not.
Menards did not have anything but entire swing sets to build and brackets for the swing itself. I think i am going to keep the 6' 4X4 and still use it as my top bar. the swing itself is not but a little over 3' long. I have 5" eye bolts I bought for 1.00 each at TSC that will go through the 4x4 and bolt up to hold the swing. Then I will get some 8' 4x4's for the legs, I will just have to put a red flag on them since they will stick out of my car door window almost 2'. It just is going to be a little while before I actually get around to doing it.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top