What Kind Of Snake Is This?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What Kind Of Snake Is This?

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 03, 2014 10:34 pm

I was blowing out the leaves and debris and blew out this little fellow.  He hadn't gotten warm yet and was having a bad time.  He rolled on his back and lay that way for a few minutes.  He then went on his way.

75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Re: What Kind Of Snake Is This?

Post by willy3486 on Sun May 04, 2014 1:18 am

It doesn't matter what their first name is, Rattle,copperhead,grass,,etc their last name is snake and I hate them all. Seriously to me it looks like a rat snake or black snake. I see them almost every year. We dug up our old small pond in the front yard a couple of years ago. When we took the wooden landscaping timbers and the plastic liner out we saw a whole bunch of those devils. They were young ones about the size of a pencil. We let them go. They are good to kill mice, now if I could get the cats to be that useful. Maybe someone else can chime in but I think its a black snake or rat snake, harmless unless you are a mouse or if you will hurt yourself when you see a snake.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 04, 2014 7:44 am

I put these pics up on a couple of other sites also ant the voting seems to be in favor of being a rat snake. I have these and eastern ribbon snakes around. they are good tempered, and will just become very still or resort to playing out writhing on their back if they feel threatened. I just wish they wouldn't do it when I mow the lawn, I hate to accidentally hurt them.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 04, 2014 8:28 am

I'm with Willy on this one. I don't necessarily hate snakes, I just prefer not to see one. They are useful in ridding the place of critters. My wife's small female cat is hell on critters, and those little snakes. Would you like to rent Sweet Pea, Willy? She purrs real well and she is not a snake.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun May 04, 2014 11:06 am

I would hate to get your cat over here so my cats can corrupt it. I think they are into drugs now. I saw one take some catnip and roll what looked to be a joint with it. The other has what looks to be a bong that he puts catnip in to smoke. The dog told he they were stealing his bones to sell to homeless mutts for catnip. Worthless cats.

Seriously though we have 2 cats, one vanished. It was one of those long haired ones folks like. So I figured someone stole it, a coyote got it or it is catting around looking for a female. My mother in law has two cats. We had three. She was putting out twice as much food as I did and it was getting gone fast. Ours was helping themselves to the food along with every stray around. Although I don't see many mice around,except for my shop. Thats where traps come in handy.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 04, 2014 11:35 am

It's a rat snake and not a black snake. If you hate snakes you should make the black snake your friend, they keep poisonous snakes away!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 04, 2014 11:39 am

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun May 04, 2014 11:41 am

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 04, 2014 1:07 pm

When I was working out on the desert. even the rattlesnakes were my friends. They would always let me know where they were, and got rid of the varmints around and under our equipment shelters.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 04, 2014 1:26 pm

Did you know that the guys who run trail rides in the desert usually lead the pack with a mule. A mule will not try to walk past a rattler. They will stop, and you can beat them silly, and they will stand there until the snake is gone. A horse will keep going and get snakebit.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun May 04, 2014 7:13 pm

Unless its a poisonous snake I try to leave them alone. I was tearing down a old building trying to help out a widow and the biggest black snake I ever saw was in the old building under a matress. I bet if I tried to put it in a 5 gallon bucket I couldn't get the entire snake in it. The thing was 8 to 12 feet long at least. Biggest snake in the open I have ever saw.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 05, 2014 4:19 am

Those snakes ARE poisonous...............

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Mon May 05, 2014 1:09 pm

I'd keep it, it will eat more mice and bugs than most of these guys on the forum....
If you have good snakes they take care of the food supply for the bad ones. I finally got that thru my wife's skull and we haven't had a copperhead since! Especially one you hit with the garden tractor and it bogs the 18hp onan engine still long enough to bite the front tire and put two holes in it. The tire is only a few inches away from where my foot is!  Boy you should have seen the look on the guys at the Western Auto store when I told them what the holes were from.
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Mon May 05, 2014 2:37 pm

I hold to a general rule that wildlife is welcome to live on my property, so long as they stay OUT of the human living areas.  

My wife, needless to say, holds to a different view.  If she catches Bambi or Thumper eating some part of her garden (all flowers, no human edible plants), she wants the critter scared off or dead IMMEDIATELY.  Anything outside of her comfort zone (which zone definitely does NOT include snakes, rats, or raccoons) is to be exterminated with extreme prejudice. and that right quickly!

Happily, here in Washington we have few really nasty critters.  Norway rats, raccoons, and bears are about the worst we get.  I've seen tiny grass snakes, and showed my wife just how harmless they were.  She still insisted I scrub my hands until they bled before she'd let me touch her again.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 272
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon May 05, 2014 4:11 pm

I like all of the animals that visit, except for hornets, if those are the little units with the victrola needle in their hip pockets.  They will be croaked in the most expeditious manner possible, to include nuclear fission.  Oh, and fire ants too.  I keep a bag of ant nom noms ready for those infernal pests.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Mon May 05, 2014 4:13 pm

Fire ants and hornets don't make it this far north. I remember them well from my 25 years in Houston, though. Yes, they are deserving of extreme prejudice.
Greg Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon May 05, 2014 10:24 pm

For the most part I'm a live and let live kind of guy except......when it comes to ground hogs! These animals are very destructive and want to tunnel under the house and every other man made structure. I shot 7 last year and 2 so far this year. If I see a ground hog, it's as good as dead!

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Mon May 05, 2014 10:42 pm

Mmmmmn... groundhog... that's good eating. Wink
Greg Davis

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down