Magnavox Imperial Stereo

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Magnavox Imperial Stereo

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:36 pm

The tube stereo Imperial models are a step down from a Concert Grand, the cabinets are similar and the electronics much simpler. If the cabinet is nice, with only cleaning and polishing required, then $250 is on the higher end of reasonable, in my opinion. If it is local, so you don't have to pay shipping and crating costs, then the $250 is more reasonable. They are "magnificent" instruments, and you won't be sorry you own one. I cannot stress enough the necessity of completely going thru both the amp chassis and the tuner if you want dependable performance.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by TubeDaddy on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:08 pm

Oh, I would replace all the capacitors in the amp and tuner, check all the resistors, and replace any bad tubes. I wouldn't want to operate it but briefly before restoring the two chassis.
TubeDaddy

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2014-04-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:18 pm

Mine had a burned cathode bypass resistor, R81 on the schematic, a 130 ohm, 5 watt wirewound. I suggest that you pay close attention to this resistor, as it affects the bias on the bass amp. Good luck.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by TubeDaddy on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:26 pm

I always probe the resistors to be sure there are no broken leads, and also check to see if it's internally broken as well. Then, I do a continuity check on all resistors. After that, I use my meter and get an ohm reading from each one. I usually catch any bad resistors before I even finish the recap.
TubeDaddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:40 pm

I performed all the usual tests you mentioned, and that resistor still "snuck" up on me. I had never had one act quite like that before. Although it provided a hold up on the project, I was looking for bad components, and found this, so I'm not disappointed. Better to find it now than to put it back into service and have a problem.

My Imperial stereo has lots of miles on it, confirmed by how many out-of-range components I found, and by the statements of the man I bought it from. I have the changer all cleaned and lubed, motor cleaned and lubed and the motor mounts changed. I adjusted the drive mechanism so that the wheel would better follow the motor pulley. I have everything cleaned well and back into the cabinet. I am waiting to replace the needle until I am sure I am done working on the changer. When I get the cathode resistor replaced, I will be ready for the trial run.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by TubeDaddy on Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:35 pm

That's strange that a resistor would test good and still be burned into internally.
TubeDaddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic View next topic Back to top