Magnavox Imperial Stereo

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Magnavox Imperial Stereo

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:38 pm

I attempted awhile back to document ALL the Magnavox tube stereos built from, say, 1958 to 1962 or so. This has proven to be a nearly impossible task. It appears that documentation is scarce, those who do possess what little information exists are not willing to share (at least with me) and that Magnavox complicated matters by building literally hundreds of different models by mixing cabinetry, electronics, speakers, and options. For many of these years, Magnavox also built monaural instruments, many times sharing components with the stereo models. Making an absolute statement about Magnavox, its products, or features thereof has proven to be an especially risky feat. This discussion is not intended to be complete. I am still learning about the different aspects of Magnavox stereo. I am hoping that knowledgeable persons will add comments that will form a complete picture of Magnavox Imperial Stereos. So please feel free to jump on in with any information you may have that will help complete the picture.

The top-of-the-line Concert Grand series of Magnavox instruments has been fairly well-documented. The 1957 and early 1958 models were monaural with 40 watt amp chassis. R-R tape decks were commonly found. There was a line of 1958 instruments that were stereo and had 25 watts per channel. These instruments proved to be the least popular of the Concert Grand instruments sales-wise. In 1959, the famous bi-amped chassis appeared, developing 50 watts per channel, with a total of 16 6V6 output tubes. Only two cabinet styles were offered, French Provincial and Danish Modern, the latter featuring twin, reverse-grained glass lids. Wireless remote control and stereo compatible FM tuners (in the '61 models) were features of this series. About the only options available were a multiplex adapter and external speakers. These instruments cost nearly the price of a new Chevrolet in 1961, starting at almost $1000. These instruments have been documented and commented on ad nauseum, so I took my investigation to the next step down. The Magnavox Imperial series.

The Imperial series appears to have been built in far greater numbers than the Concert Grand. They are commonly misrepresented. I have been told by persons who I consider more knowledgeable than I that the Imperial series does not technically exist, other than as nomenclature on certain Collaro changers. The Imperial series does exist as an entity to itself, a step below the Concert Grand instruments. I have not documented all the possible cabinet, electronics, speaker and options possiblities, but there appears to be two distinctly different series of Imperial instruments. The "big" Imperials are housed in smaller versions of the Concert Grand cabinet, commonly 56" or 60" in length, 32" tall and 19" wide. These instruments utilized a bi-amp chassis ala the Concert Grand with two 5U4 rectifiers, 3 12AX7 pre-amp/phase inverter tubes, and 6 6V6 audio output tubes. P-P 6V6's for the 15" speakers and single ended 6V6 for the horns. A common way to distinguish an Imperial from a Concert Grand, especially in photos, is by the placement of the horns. MOST Imperial models have the horns above the speakers. MOST Concert Grand models have the horns to the side of the speakers. This is due to cabinet construction, and in the case of the Concert Grand, because the amps were mounted standing on end. Even this feature is not 100% certain, as I have documented instruments where the reverse was true, in both series. It is further possible that horn placement is different in each style of cabinet. The Imperials use the same tuner as the Concert Grand, with tuning eye, and, late in 1961, a tuning meter. Wireless remote control is an option on Imperials, standard on Concert Grand. Wired remote has been seen in at least one instrument that I have documented. Similarly styled cabinets as on Concert Grands are featured, only smaller. I have documented one "big" Imperial with the 93-02-00 chassis commonly found in the "little" Imperials. I am satisfied that I do not know all there is to know about this as yet. Similar speakers are used in Imperials as are used in Concert Grands. I have not yet determined if they are identical. The Imperials appear to use the same turntable as the Concert Grands. Multiplex adapters, in 1961, and external speakers were options available on Imperial models.

Enter the "little" Imperials. These instrument appear to have been housed in the smaller "Micromatic" cabinets, using a mix of "big" and "little" Imperial electronics. Housed in 46" or 48" Micromatic series cabinets, commonly with the 93-02-00 chassis. Used a smaller version of the Concert Grand tuner, minus the tuning eye tube, and with a tuning meter. And, of course, minus a 12AX7 amp tube. The tuners were mounted vertically with no remote control option. They used a turntable similar to the Micromatic series, with fancier trim and the words " Imperial Micromatic" on the changer. This feature is the root of some of the misunderstanding. Speakers used could either be 8 cone speakers, a 15" woofer, 6" midrange, and two 4" series wired tweeters per channel, or a 15" speaker and a horn per channel, ala the "big" Imperials. Another difference in the "little" Imperials is the power switch in the tuner. The "little" Imperials have a dedicated power switch that turns for on-off. The "big" Imperials and the Concert Grands have a push-pull power switch that is in tandem with the timbre control. The "little" Imperials have no timbre control. There are several cabinet styles available for "little" Imperials. The end panels are modified on the Micromatic cabinets in order to accomodate the 15" speakers. The tuner is the immediately identifiable feature of this series of instruments. Prices on the Imperial models started in the $650-$695 range, and, with options, could easy escalate into Concert Grand territory. A multiplex adapter was like $130 and external speakers around $300.

My research has revealed that part of the reason the Imperial series is fairly obscure is that the larger Imperial instruments are commonly advertised as being Concert Grands and the smaller instruments are commonly advertised as Micromatic or Imperial Micromatic instruments. They are not correctly identified as an Imperial. Documentation and sales prices have been found inconsistent and inaccurate.

My Magnavox stereo collection currently consists of two Micromatic instruments, and a "little" Imperial, with the 8 cone speakers, and an impressive performer. All 1961 models. My goal is to add both a 1961 "big" Imperial and a 1961 Concert Grand to complete the series of Magnavox stereos built in 1961 with P-P audio.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: Magnavox Imperial Stereo

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:47 pm

Here is a video on a rescued Imperial;

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Another variation on cabinets.  That one has shelves under the tuner.  It is hard to keep up with all the possibilities on these things.  Thanks for the video, MR MEZ.

Edit----That stereo is claimed to be a 1959.  It has an "FM MPX" position on the function switch.  That would indicate a stereo-compatible tuner, would it not?  Those did not come out until early 1961.  That set has the wired remote option. Neat.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:24 am

Looking at the historical info available online, it looks like the only information available of any value is right here. it looks like the online community is absorbed with the video game marketed by the dried up husk Magnavox became after they decided to become a trans shipment point for electronics manufactured anywhere.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:54 am

Here are some good photos from Audiokarma;

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=357162

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:00 pm

Another slightly off-topic, but still Magnavox related fact that I have discovered.

If one were interested in the solid state Astro-Sonic models, he could access any Craigslist for any city in this country that he chose, and could easily find a semi load of stereos.  Magnavox must have built literally millions of them.  Thick as fleas.  And nearly worthless, despite the asking prices.

MR MEZ, that '59 appears to be slightly different in cabinet design than the '61.  That thing is sure nice, huh?  

75, your comments pretty much track with what I have found.  This is why I wanted to expand on this thread, so that TRF would be THE authority on Magnavox stereo.  Thanks for your interest guys.  We will forge ahead.  I have found mostly guessing and opinion for the most part.  I want to try to seperate the buckwheat from the BS, if you know what I mean.

WC

Last edited by Wildcat445 on Sat May 10, 2014 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kbruce on Thu May 01, 2014 9:41 am

I am very interested in the production numbers of the high end Maggies, especially the 1958-1961 CG's. There must still be some old time employees around who would remember the assembly processes and volumes back then.
y2kbruce

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2014-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Neali was good enough to provide me with what factory literature he has.  Production numbers on Magnavox stereos have proven elusive.  More guessing than anything.  There are a couple of websites where Magnavox affeciandos allegedly congregate, but most of what I have seen on those sites is bragging and BS, nothing of concrete technical information.  There is more information on console raping and guitar amp projects.  There are others who should have the information we need, but none of them will return my emails.  What I included in my OP is information I have gleaned from several sources.  Since you have a Concert Grand, perhaps we can compare the speakers in a CG and an Imperial and see if they are the same.  My guess is they are not.  There are gaps and inaccuracies, no doubt, in the information I shared with you all.  My goal here is to have a resource on Imperial stereos that is fairly accurate, that can be used for reference.  I appreciate your interest, Bruce. I did not intend to delve too deeply into Concert Grand models for this thread. That subject has been flogged ad nauseum, so I would like to concentrate on Imperials this time. Perhaps some of what we learn will give us greater insight into production numbers for both the Imperial models and the Concert Grand models.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 01, 2014 7:17 pm

The link provided by Mezlaw shows a French Provincial cabinet with sliding doors. Most you see have a single door in the middle for the TT compartment. Those lids do not appear to be glass, but they are quite dirty. I have documented an Imperial Windsor in the Danish Moderne cabinet with sliding glass and wireless remote control. The knobs on "little" Imperials appear to be the same as on the Concert Grand. Some of the later, solid state Astro Sonic "Imperial" models also have knobs like the CG. The "big" Imperials appear to have unique knobs. As a personal side note, my thinking is that a practical mod to these stereos is to substitute the push-pull power switch on the timbre control with one that turns for on-off. Frequently, it will be noted that either this knob is broken, missing, or tends to fall off due to being "too loose."

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 01, 2014 10:40 pm

I have been beating my brains out trying to find documentation on these stereos.  This stuff should not be so top secret as they appear to be.  Remembering the documentation that Neali provided me via email (on my computer in AZ), I decided to try phonoland.com, where out old buddy RT now hangs out.  RT does know his Magnavox stuff, no question about that.  I read a post by him, dated 2012, where he advised the poster to "just Google it."  So I did.  The site I accessed, and tried to paste here, was loaded with popups and other obnoxious junk.  Like they wanted me to upgrade my Bing or some such nonsense, and would not let me cut and paste.  Anyways, I did access some good information.  

The page I accessed lists all the stereo models for 1961. There are several "little" Imperials, three models of "big" Imperials and two models of Concert Grands. My maybe Imperial is not a French Provincial cabinet, it is called Italian Provincial in Light Walnut (hence the "L" suffix on the model number). I have a sinking feeling that I own only one genuine 1961 Magnavox, not three. Blow this up and it is very readable. If not, it is pretty hard to read. I have made some mistakes, but I sure am learning a lot!

Try this: http://pdfcast.org/pdf/magnavox-product-guide-and-price-list-1961-part-2

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Thu May 01, 2014 11:26 pm

Pay dirt!

What we have, folks, is my incorrect use of nomenclature. There appears to be FOUR distinct series of 1961 Magnavox stereos with P-P amplifiers. "Concerto" which I have been calling the Micromatic series. My 1ST 616 (I though it was a 1ST 6160) is one of this model. Next is the "Symphony" which is what my "little Imperial" really is, model 1ST 655M in an Italian Provincial cabinet in mahogany finish, then the "Imperial" models of which there are three. The 1ST233L that I am trying to buy is actually on casters, like the Concert Grand. Then the Concert Grand at the top of the heap. I actually have three 1961 Magnavox stereos, including the not-yet-acquired Imperial. My 2ST653 is newer.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 03, 2014 10:55 pm

I finally got the Imperial home.  I drove over 400 miles round trip to get it.  Boy, am I learning a lot!   Rolling Eyes 

This Imperial was originally advertised on Craigslist as a Concert Grand.  I contacted the seller and asked him to take some pictures of the electronics "with the hood open."  He graciously complied, and it was apparent that the stereo he had was something other than a Concert Grand.  What it was, I was not sure.  The seller was one of the most cooperative, gracious, accomodating individuals I have ever come across on Craigslist.  I informed him that I was not interested in the stereo, that I was looking for a Concert Grand.  He understood, and asked me to make inquiries of ones who might have some interest.  I posted this stereo for sale on TRF on March 2.  The seller had had several inquiries, but everybody who came to see it, judged it to be in too rough a condition, and it was not a Concert Grand.  Research revealed that the stereo he had was an Imperial, model 1ST233L.  He contacted me around April 1 and asked if I had any interest in the stereo.  I had been investigating this thread, and agree to meet with him the middle of April to discuss this stereo.  I made him an offer, based on my research, and what I figured it would take to get it up and running again.  He accepted the offer, and yesterday I drove over to St.Louis and picked it up.

This stereo is a 1961 Magnavox Imperial, model 1ST233L.  It has a mahogany finish.  The finish, surprisingly, turned out to be simply filthy, rather than scratched and dented.  It looks to me like food debris, sort of like you would get if you raised the mixer up when you were mashing potatoes, was all over this thing.  The stereo had been sitting in a house that was part of an estate that was being liquidated, and had been there for several years.  I gave the cabinet a good bath in Windex.  I normally clean old cabinets with turpentine and cheesecloth, but turpentine would not take this stuff off.  Windex took the dirt and gunge off, but it badly dulled the finish.  I put a generous coat of orange oil on the cabinet to moisturize the wood.  I will let this stand for a week or so, then wipe the excess and put a coat of polish of some kind on it.  Perhaps Old English will be enough.  The jury is still out on that.  The cabinet looks very presentable.  There are a couple of "love taps" here and there, but that is part of its history.  I am well satisfied, and, more importantly, my wife is happy with the result.  I am going to bring it into the family room now that the cabinet is clean.  I can take the various components out there and take them to the shop, rather than risking something in the garage marring the cabinet.  

Mechanically and electronically, the thing is about what you would expect for a 50+ year old electronic item.  This is the first Magnavox stereo I have ever gotten with a hum caused by leaky filter caps.  Somebody had fed the power cord to the rug beater on their vacuum, and it was all chewed to the dickens.  I cut about a foot off the end and prepared to put on a new plug for testing. The owner had remarked how short the cord was for such a big stereo, only about three feet long.  This is because the power cord was wound three or four turns around one of the 5U4 rectifiers!  It was baked hard as a rock, so now the power cord is only about a foot long total.  

The owner mentioned three items of concern on this stereo.  The plug was bad, the cabinet was "trashed" and that "it sounds like a transistor radio, rather than a big stereo."  The plug and cabinet were discussed above, but the "sounds like a transistor radio" complaint concerned me.  Remember, the cord was on the fritz, so I bought this thing with only the seller's word that it worked.  I fired this thing up after doing a bit of checking to see whether it was gonna burn my garage down, and found his concern to be right on the money.  Selectivity and sensitivity on AM and FM proved to be quite good, but the thing sounded horrible.  Tinny strangled output with zero bass.  The volume had to be turned up well past halfway to get any sound at all, except the loud hum caused by leaky caps.  I found that the speaker control switch was turned to position "A", which was for external speakers only.  Since there were no external speakers, the only sound that was heard was what leaked thru the dirty speaker control switch.  I turned the switch to "internal only", and matters improved considerably.  The output is still rather weak from the tuner, but is nice and strong, with fantastic fidelity in "Stereo" (phono) or "Tape".  More on the tuner in a second.

This stereo is equipped with the 81-02-00 amp chassis and the 64-01-00 tuner chassis.  The usual Collaro changer and a pair of 15" side firing speakers and a pair of 4X10 front firing horns complete the package.  There are 11 tubes in the amp chassis and 11 tubes, including 6E5 eye tube in the tuner.  Total power consumption is 310 watts at 117 volts AC.  I was hoping that, given the close relationship between the Imperial series and the Concert Grand series, that perhaps I could divest myself of the grief of having to deal with the 6EU7 tubes that are found in Magnavox tuners and power amps.  Not this time.  There are three of these problemtic tubes in the tuner on this instrument.  I mentioned weak tuner output a minute ago.  Based on past experience, I would put my money on the good possibility that one of the 6EU7's in that tuner is weak.  I tested the tubes in the amp chassis, and not a one of them checked good.  The 12AX7 had a heater to cathode short, so I replaced it first thing.  There are six 6V6's with three different brands, 4 Magnavox, one RCA, one Dumont.  Three of them test bad, period, and three are barely good.  Both 5U4 rectifiers test weak, and fail the life test.  I may find bad tubes in the tuner besides the 6EU7's.  So the amp will need filter caps, paper caps, likely every resistor and all the tubes replaced.  It has been my experience that ceramic caps are found in Magnavox tuners, so we will see about this one.

It is fair to state that the tuner without remote control found in this Imperial, presumably others, is not the same as the tuner found in the Concert Grand.  Subtle differences, but differences to be sure.

This is the first old Magnavox stereo that I have hauled home that the turntable actually somewhat worked in.  This one plays 45's just semi-great set on 78.  It sounds like it is grinding walnuts when it runs, and one suspension spring is missing.  The speed knob on this changer is actually a band switch knob off a 1930's model Philco radio!  I do have the correct knob in stock.  The cartridge and needle are usuable.  It will drop records, but it stalls just before the record drops.  I have to help it.  So this thing will get my usual treatment.  (Purists close your eyes and plug your ears.)  Spray it real good with WD-40, let is soak for a week or so, give it a right smart smack with a screwdriver handle, say a couple of cuss words, and put it back in the cabinet.  It should work for another 50 years.  (This is a SLIGHT over-dramatization, but you get my drift.  It needs everything.)  As much as I respect Magnavox stereos, I detest working on Collaro changers.  

In conclusion, I found the little red pilot light that I was moaning about it not having.  This little red light is positioned in the lower part of the cabinet, under the tuner.  Now that it works, I am a happy camper.  That little red light is a Magnavox tradition.  This stereo will be a more than competent performer, once it gets all tuned up.  I am going to break down and procure a Sam's Photofact folder for this stereo, since I have never serviced a bi-amp chassis previously.  

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun May 04, 2014 8:01 am

It looks like the down points have decimals preceding them at least. Any set has to have some needs that makes it even more the new owners' accomplishment than just property. Hope it meets your every expectation that it can fulfill. Congratulations to both of you.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 04, 2014 8:24 am

Thanks, 75. I am certainly one step closer to my goal, a Concert Grand. I am thrilled to be this close. I am learing a lot. I am willing to share what I have found out, but I wonder how many people actually care one way or the other?

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kbruce on Sun May 04, 2014 9:42 am

Congratulations on your find. Well done review of its condition also.
y2kbruce

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2014-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun May 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Thanks, Bruce. We all know what is next.  Very Happy 

The main reason the turntable will not operate at the correct speed is that all the motor mounts are shot. A piece of one petrified mount actually broke off and was tumbling around under the rim of the platter. It would get jammed up against a piece of metal, and that caused the grinding sound. It was rubbing on the inside of the rim. The motor is about 1/2 inch below the drive wheel. The speed adjuster works fine, it's just that the motor is in the wrong spot. The motor will need taken apart, cleaned and re-lubed as well. If I looked correctly, the model number on the changer is 200 (?). Other than needing a good servicing, the turntable looks like it will clean up like new. The 45 rpm adapter is still there.

I found a 6EU7 in the tuner totally dead. No filament. Maybe that will help the weak tuner output condition somewhat.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon May 05, 2014 4:35 am

Those "ceramic " caps are just ceramic clad paper caps, and, always leaky. I'd instantly replace them.... Nice set...........

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon May 05, 2014 11:12 pm

Okay guys, here we go.  Pictures as promised, courtesy of Neali and his kind assistance.  Keep your fingers crossed.

http://illiweb.com/fa/pbucket.gif

Wahoo!  It worked.  Neali, you ARE a genius! This is a picture of my Imperial fresh off the truck.  And in front of my truck.  Dirt, cobwebs and all.

This is pure old dirt.  Gunge.  I cleaned a spot to show how bad it was.

Philco band switch knob for a turntable knob.  That is really special.  Someone out there with a Philco radio needs that.

The side firing speaker and some of the dirt that looked like scratches.  Those are gone now.

The 81-02-00 amp chassis.  The business end of this stereo.  Really in quite nice condition under all that dirt and dust.

This thing looks a lot like a Concert Grand. It has a 54" long cabinet, while the Concert Grand cabinet is 60" This is a beautiful instrument, and I am thrilled to own it.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Mon May 05, 2014 11:56 pm

WC,

Outstanding review and triage. One of the best I have ever read.

neali

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Tue May 06, 2014 12:02 am

WC,

Here is your post with pictures. You just have to type the {img} insert html thing here with no spaces {/img} except change the curly brackets to straight brackets. Like this.

Okay guys, here we go.  Pictures as promised, courtesy of Neali and his kind assistance.  Keep your fingers crossed.

Wahoo!  It worked.  Neali, you ARE a genius! This is a picture of my Imperial fresh off the truck.  And in front of my truck.  Dirt, cobwebs and all.

This is pure old dirt.  Gunge.  I cleaned a spot to show how bad it was.

Philco band switch knob for a turntable knob.  That is really special.  Someone out there with a Philco radio needs that.

The side firing speaker and some of the dirt that looked like scratches.  Those are gone now.

The 81-02-00 amp chassis.  The business end of this stereo.  Really in quite nice condition under all that dirt and dust.

This thing looks a lot like a Concert Grand. It has a 54" long cabinet, while the Concert Grand cabinet is 60" This is a beautiful instrument, and I am thrilled to own it.

WC.

neali

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue May 06, 2014 4:14 am

It looks a lot better than your original estimation. I see why you're excited.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 06, 2014 10:51 pm

I have the cabinet cleaned and ready for the Arizona room. It looks better than I had even hoped. The orange oil trick seems to have done the job. I used my detail brush in the corners. This is basically a 1/2" artist's brush with half the length of the bristles cut off. I spray this brush with Pledge, and the dirt sticks to the brush long enough to remove it from the cracks and crevices. And it allows me to steer clear of the grille cloth. I lifted up each end and cleaned the casters really well, so that dirt from that nasty house it was in won't grind into the tile in our house. All the cobwebs and dead spiders are gone. Next step is to order parts and the Sam's manuals and get started on the electronics. VM Enthusiasts has the parts I need for the TT, mainly motor mounts and a new needle for starters.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 10, 2014 9:59 am

Here is another Imperial I ran across on another forum.  The owner does not offer a model number or much, if any, usable documentation.  He first claims it is a 1960, then, later, a 1961.  He gets some good advice, and some bullying from our old buddy.  

http://www.phonoland.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=5577

I have no idea what the current status of this instrument is.  

The members of phonoland are impressed with Magnavox Astro-Sonic instruments for certain.  There is some interesting reading and I learned a lot.  I still have a lot to learn.

The cord on my Imperial is inside the cabinet, behind the back. It is only about a foot long, so there is no danger of my operating the stereo until I get some work done on it. It is hard to have a new "toy" and not be playing with it. Frying something would be worse. Mine has been pressed into duty as a lamp stand and as Sweet Pea's favorite new perch. I am sourcing parts and working on getting my bench cleared to start its way back. It has waited several years already to be rescued, a while longer won't hurt anything.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 10, 2014 12:52 pm

I think the style of yours looks better now than the example you linked to. French provincial was hot stuff then, people were going baroque trying to buy everything to match that style and then it was over, just like that. Yours blends with a lot of styles.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat May 10, 2014 7:48 pm

Thanks, 75. I am not sure whether I like that white-washed look myself, but then it's not my instrument. The poster mentioned having his refinished in mahogany, which would be a disaster! My guess is, that under that white wood, may be pieces of dis-similar hardwoods and grains that will look horrible in any color other than like it originally was. My personal preference is cherry or mahogany, but, if I were offered a Concert Grand in white, and it was nice, and I could afford it, it would be mine. My wife, to be frightfully honest, prefers the Danish Moderne cabinet style in Magnavox instruments. Those have proven more elusive than French or Italian Provincial. Your comment about the baroque style's popularity is borne out by that fact.

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top