If I had one of those fancy Magnavox consoles............

Go down

If I had one of those fancy Magnavox consoles............ Empty If I had one of those fancy Magnavox consoles............

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:18 pm

All you guys and your talk of the high-end consoles got me thinking...If I had one, what would I want to play via the turn-table that would absolutely shake every window in the house when I crank up the old volume control?  Very Happy 

The mid-1960s had some wonderful 'orchestral-backed arrangements' melded in with pop sounds. SO, here is the TOP 3 window-shakers I have selected. Let me know what you think..... sunny 

OR just enjoy these wonderful songs from yesteryear and forget about the Maggies if you don't own one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbwS2SqNbEM&sns=em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ogtsaXmxK0&sns=em

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4onTq5Brpk&sns=em
Dr. Radio
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 899
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

If I had one of those fancy Magnavox consoles............ Empty Re: If I had one of those fancy Magnavox consoles............

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:27 pm

I own three.  I wish I owned five, including a big Imperial and a Concert Grand.   Very Happy 

Magnavox means "Great Voice" in Latin.  I made a comment one time that Magnificent Magnavoxes were built specifically to reproduce Connie Francis albums.  Your links work well, too.  Very Happy  The kettle drums in the introduction to Connie Francis' "Follow The Boys" will damage the drywall with the bass cranked on a Maggie!

I have a 300 disc CD changer connected to ours and the frau runs in about 10 hours a day.  I know, CD's are obsolete.  But so are Connie Francis records, and so are The Four Seasons.  Obsolete or not, they sure do sound "magnificent", now, don't they?

There is a Concert Grand out there with my name on it!  I haven't found it yet, but it's out there!

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 4893
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

If I had one of those fancy Magnavox consoles............ Empty Re: If I had one of those fancy Magnavox consoles............

Post by Tony V on Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:16 am

Excellent choices Dr. Radio, especially Magic Town!
Tony V
Tony V

Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:53 pm

I want the one my father had. Deluxe everything, except the cabinet. But, it held two twelve inch woofers, a horn tweeter, the famous 4 tube 6L6 amp, their deluxe 1946 am early fm, and, sw radio, the deluxe 78 rpm only changer with the solenoid, and, the push button on front or radio to reject.
My father had a bad heart, and, that push button made it easy to reject the records from bed..... The radio was on one side, and, changer was on other side, under a lid. No pull out drawer.
It was his favorite radio. That radio had fantastic sound....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4390
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:03 pm

If I were to have one, my choice would be to play all of "Kenton In Hi-Fi", or Ellingtons' Diminuendo And Crescendo In Blue from the '56 Newport Jazz Festival album, or Mordido from Jazz At The Philharmonic.
75X11
75X11

Number of posts : 4453
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum