Oscilloscope Survey

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Oscilloscope Survey

Post by Ragwire on Mon May 05, 2014 1:55 pm

Yeah...well I got to have sync or I cant even see the waveform shape. They were real nice at SRA Soldering Products and said just send it back and they'd get me a new one on the way. I haven't had time to ship it yet.

On the bright side, I went to an antique radio club auction Saturday and bought a 20MHz Energy Concepts Model 30820, 2-channel solid state scope for $10. It works perfectly and the calibration is dead on. Looks like someone took care of it or barely used it...or both.

I will be using it as my main go-to scope for now because my good old Tek T922 is acting up a little. I know what's wrong and it's not a big deal, but haven't opened it up yet. (The channel selection button assembly is a little jiggy and sometimes the display loses signal or the indicated amplitude shoots way up until I fiddle with the channel selector buttons.) So I put the Tek in the closet for now, and am using the EC scope. Apparently they make "rugged for the classroom" test equipment and are still in business. I had never heard of Energy Concepts until this weekend.

Plus this new/used unit has a 5MHz higher bandwidth and a 5X magnification on both X and Y and on both channels giving a 1mV/division sensitivity. Also has "add" and "invert." The Tek T922 doesn't have any of these features.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Dale H. Cook on Sat May 10, 2014 2:11 pm

I have two. The shop 'scope is a Tektronix 453:

http://plymouthcolony.net/starcity/radios/pages/compact.html

The 'scope I carry with me for my work as a broadcast engineer is an HP 1740A. The Tek is a 60 MHz 'scope, plenty good enough for most of what I do in the shop, but on occasion I have to bring in the HP for a project.
Dale H. Cook

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2014-05-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sun May 11, 2014 9:47 am

Dale, the 453 is a favorite scope of mine. Unfortunately, I do not have one. I attempted to buy on at a hamfest but the CRT filament was burned out and, if fact, the CRT had actually lost its vacuum. I kept the guts for a parts donor.

On the bright side, last week I went to a vintage radio club auction and bought this Energy Concepts Model 30820, 20MHz, 2-channel solid state unit for $10. It works perfectly in is even dead on in calibration according to my other scopes:

Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:29 am

I have two oscilloscopes, neither of which do I use.  The first one is a Heathkit IO-101, which is in more or less good working order.  The second is an HP 1741A, which is not in working order, despite numerous hours spent trying to fix the problems on the LVPS and HVPS boards.  Both were bought as non-working units from VETCO.  In neither case was I really interested in using the scope for anything to do with electronics repairs.  I was just intrigued by the project of restoring something that wasn't working.  And the HP unit had a special pull on me, as I work for HP and have seen those scopes in use around the office in the last decade.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 271
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:23 pm

A good oscilloscope can perform a number of measurement tasks, but they are not a necessity to do repair and restoration work. I wanted one because I have used one throughout my career and like to keep in practice. HP has made some of the best test equipment to be used in lab and industry, and can be somewhat used up by the time they are retired.
75X11

Number of posts : 5023
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:37 pm

The used-up-by-the-time-you-get-it part is especially true of some of the industrial shops. If I can find one that's been sitting surplus in a college storage room, I go for it. My three HP 400 series AC millivolt meters were pretty raw when I got them...especially the Navy surplus one--salt-air rust.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:39 pm

PS that cheap Atten scope I posted about earlier (the replacement one) is still going strong.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sun Sep 28, 2014 9:50 pm

One of the nice parts of my time working for Sperry Univac/Unisys corp. was that we were able to bid on surplused equipment used in our shops. we could bid on equipment that we worked with in the plant and therefore knew whether or not they were fully functional. I bid on a HP 141 network analyzer but was shortly outbid. It worked out fine as the unit had one of its drawers replaced to repair another unit. the one sold was a big doorstop as a result, unless another drawer could be found.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Resistance is Futile on Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:28 pm

I have a Energy concepts Test Equipment Rack with built in FET Multimeter, AF & RF Gen, Combination Power Supply 2 Each DC power supplies (0-10) and (10-25) VDC and (0-300) VDC and (0-130)VAC and also a filament power supply of two 6V and jumpered combination 12 volts. With AC power strip and built in Speaker. But no O'scope. Those Pictures look like Tektronix scopes.

I have two Scopes both Tek's 2213 and 465. I would use them for alignment  and bandwidth adjustments of The I.F. cans.
----
I sold my Tek 922 and Heath IO-12.
Resistance is Futile

Number of posts : 990
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:59 am

I had never heard of Energy Concepts until I bought one at a radio club auction for $10 and it works great. It's the one I usually use. I probably should thin the heard, too, Cliff.
Right now I have the Energy Concepts 20 MHz, 2-channel (I forgot the model number), the little ATTEN single channel 10 MHz unit, a Tek 922, a Tek 2225, a Rigol DS1052, and an old Eico 460 that works well for an old unit (I restored it and can't part with the old thing.)

I'm kind of on a signal tracer kick at the moment. I would like a few of those for my collection and bench use. I'm just a test equipment addict.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:05 pm

Greetings to the Forum:

I have four scopes... all Tektronix 465 series. My bench scope is a 465B with the DMM option. I have a 465 (no suffix) as my spare, another 465B that is awaiting attention, and still another 465 parts queen.

I don't actually do that much old radio restoration work (although I would like to do more) but when I was trying to figure out why my Atwater-Kent model 55 sounded so awful, the scope was invaluable.

Right now, I have a Swan 350 on the bench, and the 465 bandwidth is handy for looking at the output RF envelope. I am also chasing the source of some hum (haven't figured out yet if it is AC hum or RF feedback) and the scope is an absolute necessity for this.

I also have a couple of HP 141T spectrum analyzers that get used occasionally.

Regards,
Jim T.
KB6GM

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Oct 08, 2014 8:24 pm

The 141's are nice units. I used to use them when I did microwave site work.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:29 am

Greetings to the Forum:

For Moderator 75X11:

I used to drag a 141T around to uWave sites also.   I would be willing to bet that since you did also, you are therefore familiar with the Marine Corps definition of portable:   Anything with a handle on it... weight is irrelevant.   ;^)
Regards,
Jim T.
KB6GM

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:43 am

Those things were a real lug. We would usually have one along in the vehicle and exchange drawers if necessary. It seems all the test equipment was "portable". Smile
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Polaraligned on Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:05 pm

Tektronix 2465A here. Certainly overkill for radio work, but I do more than just repair radios.

Polaraligned

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2013-02-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:57 pm

I used to have a 1964 "portable" Zenith B&W 19" like that. I'm surprised the handle could stay on it.
Polaraligned wrote:Tektronix 2465A here.  Certainly overkill for radio work, but I do more than just repair radios.  

Can't have too good of one.

Back to the 465s: The only 465 I had I picked up at an auction only to find the CRT had no vacuum. Very disappointing. I really would like to have another.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeinkcmo on Sun Dec 07, 2014 11:29 pm

I have 2 scopes now but have had quite a number of 500 and 7000 series scopes along with a couple dozen plug-ins for each series. My current scopes are a Tek 2465 in the rack and my old Tek 454 on the shelf. I use scopes mostly for transmitters as well as the occasional receiver IF sweep, and when doing development projects. A scope can tell you quite a lot at a single glance.

mikeinkcmo

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:59 am

Mostly for devoloping new circuits for me.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeinkcmo on Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:11 am

I used to have ten or so scopes but they crowded out any meaningful progress on getting organized so I sold all but two, my 2465 and 454. Whether or not you use a scope depends on what you're doing, of course, but the first TEK scope I used in the 50s made me a believer, there is no other brand. :<)  

mikeinkcmo

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2008-03-25

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Dec 29, 2014 9:30 am

Very nice installation for the 2465!
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:33 pm

Very nice bench, Mike.

Lately I been fiddling with the old public 11 meter band...CB. Still waiting on my ARRL study guide to arrive so's I can try for my Technician's License. ...Anyway, I dragged my Tek 2225 out of storage and have been using it exclusively, even though it is a bench hog compared to my little T922 or the Chinese 10 MHz unit.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by CHUCKSUE on Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:06 pm

I have a Tek 465 with a DMM on my bench. I also have an Iwatsu ??? don't know the # off hand. It is on the bench also. I just tested a Sencor I got from a friend. I have a scope from DeVRY tech that I used to use. I also have an old Eico that works.

CHUCKSUE

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2013-07-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Tue Jan 06, 2015 8:49 pm

I have one of those pld Eico 460s too. It's a pretty decent scope for what it was marketed for. Much beyond AM broadcast frequencies you really need the demodulator probe to see anything much. Mine came with the demodulator probe, fortunately, so it could be used on TVs, etc, with modulated signals. I had to get used to calibrating the screen to known voltages and frequencies as is typical of these old service grade models. Hey for $10, and a few caps and tubes and resistors...it's pretty cool.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:23 pm

This is my scope and I love it. More than I know what to use but I use it on radios often. I don't have a signal tracer. It was free so I can't complain.
Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 763
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Wed Jan 07, 2015 9:26 am

Free is good.
A scope makes a great tracer if you know what to look for. A tracer is quick though...not much set-up.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top