Oscilloscope Survey

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Oscilloscope Survey

Post by Ragwire on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:20 am

Who has/uses an oscilloscope on your old radio or TV workbench?
What is it?
If you have more than one, what is your favorite that gets used the most?

I'm a test equipment geek and am just curious.

I occasionally use a scope in radio work, but mostly for circuit design. If I serviced or restored televisions, I am sure I would use one more often. (Often I just set my HP400H to read the presence and amplitude of a signal because I am lazy and it only has one knob and no probe compensation to check.)

My go-to scope is a Tektronix T922, 15MHz, 2-channel. (Made between approximately 1976 and 1984.)

So what say you all?
Ragwire

Number of posts : 527
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Re: Oscilloscope Survey

Post by 35Z5 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 1:01 am

I mostly use mine for designing mini transmitters...

I have four that work and a couple tube units that sort of and could with a recap..

Can't remember model numbers but there's a 100 Mhz Tek with built in freq counter, a Meguro 40 Mhz, a Hitachi 30 Mhz & a B&K that I believe is 20Mhz... All are two channel... Since it has the freq counter the Tek mostly monitors my transmitter in the garage, that unit runs 24/7(xmit, not scope)...

35Z5

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:52 am

I think I have 3 altogether. I have one of the sencore 61 scopes. Its a nice one but I need to go through it. I also have a heathkit. I just got a old waterman scope restored from the 40s. As far as using them in the shop I rarely turn them on. I am so use to a signal tracer and generator that I hardly use any other test items. The next two Items I use are my multimeter and my cap checker. I also have a sencore powerite suppy I use with everything.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1428
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:03 pm

Yeah, seems like they are more useful for design and TV to me, too...but occasionally, mine gets used for a "dog" or to see what is coming out of a tape head or something. I would like to have an older tube scope like a Tek 310A or similar. Right now I have two Teks, the T922 that I use most, a 50MHz 2225, dual channel, and a new Rigol DS1052E I haven't got to play with much yet, but I really like it. (it's a 50MHz, 2 channel, too) My first experience with a digital storage scope.

Anyone else care to chime in?
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:35 pm

I have and use a B+K 1476A.
75X11

Number of posts : 5023
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:28 pm

I have the following heathkit which I built in the 1970's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151277546279?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:40 pm

75X11 wrote:I have and use a B+K 1476A.
That's a pretty nice scope. I wish I had looked into those before I pulled the trigger on my Tek T922. It looks like they can be had a little cheaper used, and has all the bandwidth I would likely ever use

MEZLAW wrote:I have the following heathkit which I built in the 1970's

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151277546279?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
That's cool! Is that yours for sale?
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:55 pm

MEZLAW wrote:I have the following heathkit which I built in the 1970's

Had it all this time and now you are selling it???

If you don't get in a hurry, scopes can sometime be had cheap on ebay, I paid $81 for my Tek, plus $22 ship, the Meguro was $27 and $15 ship... Got lucky on both of those, the seller had several of the Meguros from a trade school, dumped them on ebay all at one time... The Tek was adv as having intermittent issues, hit a few solder connections and it's been fine for 7-8 years now... The Hitachi & B&K came from work when shop was closed...
35Z5

Number of posts : 464
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:28 pm

It's kind of funny how I got the B+K. I had ordered a Tek 922 and the parcel grinders dropped it on it's face. The dealer exchanged the remains for the B+K. It's been a nice unit.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:41 pm

That Ebay scope is just to show what model I have, I do not plan to sell mine.  I don't have a photo of mine and it is at my other house. I should have worded my post a little bit better.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:56 pm

I have a Tek 532 that a friend of mine found and was gonna junk. I don't use it much. The thing is huge and has almost 70 tubes with the plug-ins.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5286
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by neali on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:22 am

Got a Tek 465B with the DMM. I paid $80 for it with all manuals and a recent calibration. Felt guilty. Fast enough for TV work which is as fast as I need for my hobby.

SO WC, you are back in your summer home? You will be amused to hear it is snowing here on LI.

neali

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2011-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:49 am

MEZLAW wrote:That Ebay scope is just to show what model I have, I do not plan to sell mine.  I don't have a photo of mine and it is at my other house.  I should have worded my post a little bit better.
Ah! Glad to hear you're keeping it.

75X11 wrote:It's kind of funny how I got the B+K.  I had ordered a Tek 922 and the parcel grinders dropped it on it's face.  The dealer exchanged the remains for the B+K.  It's been a nice unit.
Nice of the dealer to exchange it. The T922 is a pretty good unit too, mine has been anyway. All I ever did was replace a shorted input DC blocking capacitor on the channel 1 input, and tweak the gain screw a little as the calibration had shifted a tiny amount since 2003 (the last calibration sticker date on it). Channel 1 was in "DC" mode even when AC was selected. Just a minor nuisance.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:05 pm

Yes, thank you, Neali, I am back in my summer (?) home. It snowed the first day I was back, thank you, again, for asking. I am ready to call the local friendly real estate lady and put an end to this nonsense. Then the sun comes out, and there are three semis of leaves to rake. I know. Gripe, gripe. It is good to be home where my radio bench is and all my toys.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5286
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco-ni on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:59 am

i've never used oscilloscope on a radio but it's an idea.. On some tv service manuals, there is often a drawing of the waveform. So this makes me say that the same form should be the same on the oscilloscope. but on a radio, ca I couldn't tell
Marco-ni

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2014-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:18 pm

They're not a necessity for hobby use. I keep and use one because they were the most commonly available piece of test equipment other than a multimeter in many places I have worked and I can use them for a few different purposes. (and the price was right)
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:59 am

Marco-ni wrote:i've never used oscilloscope on a radio but it's an idea.. On some tv service manuals, there is often a drawing of the waveform. So this makes me say that the same form should be the same on the oscilloscope. but on a radio, ca I couldn't tell

You'd just see a modulated waveform in most of the set, or the signal jumping around with audio. You can measure the voltage level of the signal in the radios, but the schematics don't usually say what they should be anyway. Just know that there should be substantial gain in the amplifier stages. But like 75X11 says, not necessary for a radio hobby. You can find out is there is signal getting through and amplifying with any just about any old signal tracer.

Sometimes I have just used a headset, and diode with a DC blocking capacitor, and headphones with or without an audio output transformer to listen in to the IF signal, etc, and trace it. I also can use another working radio with an accurately adjusted dial to check another radio's IF frequency by tuning for zero beat.  

Still, they (scopes) are cool to have and handy for some things. I mostly use mine when designing a new (hobby) circuit like an oscillator or whatever. I rarely use one on a radio restoration/repair. I do use an HP400H radio frequency millivolt meter sometimes--Set the voltage range on the meter dial and probe away.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Marco-ni on Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:26 pm

agree Ragwire.. an oscilloscope is useful.
Marco-ni

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2014-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by CrazyCanuck on Tue Apr 22, 2014 8:49 pm

I have, and use on almost every radio I repair, a Leader 20mhz, 2-channel, single time base, solid state (except for the crt) scope. I bought it 15 years ago, used but in almost new condition, with the original box, leads, manual etc, for $175 (iirc). It has been worth every penny. I like it for doing alignments as I can see the AVC voltage peak easier on the scope screen then I can on a VTVM. I align using the AVC voltage and an IF signal induced thru' the RF stage, with the oscillator disabled until the final touchup.

CrazyCanuck

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2012-11-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:32 pm

CrazyCanuck wrote:I have, and use on almost every radio I repair, a Leader 20mhz, 2-channel, single time base, solid state (except for the crt) scope. I bought it 15 years ago, used but in almost new condition, with the original box, leads, manual etc, for $175 (iirc). It has been worth every penny. I like it for doing alignments as I can see the AVC voltage peak easier on the scope screen then I can on a VTVM. I align using the AVC voltage and an IF signal induced thru' the RF stage, with the oscillator disabled until the final touchup.
That's an interesting way of doing it.

Seems like me and everyone I know that ever uses a scope gets a good used one for the $200 range. Shopping around eBay or forum classifieds can find some darn good ones if they don't jack you up on shipping.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:48 am

Check this out:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BK9TUZ6/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pretty good price for a brand new basic scope for medium wave RF and audio. I paid more for some of my multimeters.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:57 pm

That unit has a nice footprint, too.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:24 pm

Yep. I actually just ordered one because my bench and shop are so flipping small that I have to put my regular old scope up to do any soldering work. (plus I got a gift card for Amazon to use towards it) This is like almost VTVM size.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Sat May 03, 2014 7:42 pm

Love the size, but it has t go back for exchange. No sync on any signal.
Ragwire

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat May 03, 2014 7:55 pm

It's tough to wait, but it's got to be right.
75X11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top