My latest toy

View previous topic View next topic Go down

My latest toy

Post by willy3486 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:05 pm

This weekend was the Nashville meet. I went to it a got a new toy. It is a whole house transmitter. In a test run it worked way better than I expected. It is really accurate from what I can tell. I turned on my crosley and then plugged my mac into the transmitter. I used KABL that is a streaming station. From the info from the website I should be able to transmit from my house and pick it up out in my shop. Now I really have a station in my area worth listening to. Here is a short video of it playing.

Here is the website on it. I paid a lot less than the asking price. The transmitter was even new and looks lo be never used.

http://www.iamradio.net/

If you are looking for a transmitter so far this is a neat little unit. These apparently are used in houses for sale by real estate agents selling houses. You drive by the house, tune in to the radio frequency posted on a sign in front of the house and it has a pre recorded message.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: My latest toy

Post by 35Z5 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:15 pm

Yeah they are accurate in freq but watch out for the earlier ones that have the tonal quality of a couple bumblebees in a tin can... In other words have limited audio bandwidth that enhances speech...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:18 pm

This one seems to be really nice. The sound is great, its like you inject the sound directly into the audio circuit. So far no bumblebees.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:57 pm

By replacing a single capacitor in the earlier units, the sound quality can be greatly improved. I did the mod to mine and it was like night & day. Now, if I could just find a way to get rid of the infamous hum that I, and most of the other TH owners, are annoyed by...
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:44 am

Motorola man wrote:By replacing a single capacitor in the earlier units, the sound quality can be greatly improved.  I did the mod to mine and it was like night & day.  Now, if I could just find a way to get rid of the infamous hum that I, and most of the other TH owners, are annoyed by...

Antenna placement is paramount, needs to be strung away from any and all wiring as it induces hum... One of my  best install was in the den with unit approx 3ft above the floor, antenna run vertically and across a double curtain rod behind it... I've since moved my transmitting studio to a 6ft high shelf in the garage behind the house, antenna is strung vertical into the eaves of garage... Currently I'm running a 6888 transmitter served by a computer running Win Amp and SA Stereo tool audio processing software, sounds as good as any commercial station and better than some...

Sometimes less is better, can try various antenna lengths to see if hum can be reduced... Also most radios are happier at some distance from transmitter, often a tube radio is overloaded when it's within a few ft of xmitter...
35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by Ragwire on Tue Apr 15, 2014 3:05 pm

Cool! I have been wanting something like that. We have one old music and news channel on AM that I like--the rest I don't care for. It would be nice to play commercial free music through my old radios.
Ragwire

Number of posts : 526
Registration date : 2013-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:06 pm

I deposited my SSTrans in the trash can. It was WAAAYYY more trouble than it was worth. Noise, hum, poor tone quality, you name it. There has to be something easier.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:26 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:I deposited my SSTrans in the trash can.  It was WAAAYYY more trouble than it was worth. Noise, hum, poor tone quality, you name it.  There has to be something easier.

Regards

WC

I believe the one I got may be what you want. I will try it a while a report back on how it does. I have to do some outside work this Thursday and I may hook it up. I will let it play all day and see how it works. So far it seems like a dream come true.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:47 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:I deposited my SSTrans in the trash can.  It was WAAAYYY more trouble than it was worth. Noise, hum, poor tone quality, you name it.  There has to be something easier.

Regards

WC
Ummmm..... The SStrans is no doubt the cream of the crop, if it didn't work for you I doubt anything else will... I have one and can't fault it's performance, though I can't receive back to the house from my garage as clearly as I can with my tube units... With the built in compressor it sounds better than anything I've tried(which is about everything out there), though using Stereo Tool I can rival it's performance...
35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:03 pm

Here's a recording I made using a SStrans & the LM386 trans I posted up in Homebrew...

I used my Cannon A540 camera(far from a high $$$ unit) to record audio so it's a little hollow sounding, but a major difference would be easy to detect... Both were being fed from computer using Stereo Tool so compression on SStrans was at minimum...

Clip begins with SStrans, switches @ :18 to LM386, back to SS @ :43, again to LM386 @1:00 and finally back to SS @1:19... You'll have to listen closely for the switch to the LM386, but it's fairly obvious when the LM386 is shutdown, as it creates a good bit of noise.... The switch was made by powering up/down each transmitter, both were tuned to 1000Khz...

http://amradio.freeiz.com/transmitter/txcomp.mp3
35Z5

Back to top Go down

Post by y2kbruce on Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:26 am

I trashed the new TH I had bought-it sounded terrible and I went back to my SST3000.
y2kbruce

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2014-03-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:46 am

Actually, that doesn't sound bad. Wish I could afford one of those. Hey, if you can still get it out of the trash, save it for me. I'll pay for shipping.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:12 pm

Latest update:
I set it up in the house today. I am off due to the holiday. I am working outside so I set it up to 710 am because there is none around here using that. It has been playing for over two hours and no issues. I can pick it up great, better than a real station about 5 miles away with a lot more power. I went outside to my shop about 100 feet away. MY shop has metal sides and metal roof. I turned on the sparton I just got going and it picked it up great in the metal building. I am going to run it all day and see how it plays. So far no hicups,drifts,hums or any issues. Rock steady and plays great.

willy3486

Back to top Go down

Post by oldgoaly on Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:22 am

I bought one that didn't work, powered up but no sound. All it needed was re-tuned. a 1/4 turn of the antenna trimmer coil. one of these years I'll get something to play the cd's I made of ragtime piano music.
oldgoaly

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2012-08-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:43 am

Ragtime piano music. Now, that's my kind of stuff.....

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4530

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top