Easy knob fix

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Easy knob fix

Post by willy3486 on Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:44 pm

Here is a easy knob fix I figured out. I went to the Nashville meet and found a identical knob from Julie, AKA radio pup. The knob I needed was one that had splines inside the hole the shaft went into. Well someone,not Julie, had drilled the inside out and the splines was gone. As it was a perfect match to the other knob I had I got it and thought I would figure some way to fix it. Here is a easy fix I found out that worked. Apologies in advance for the bad quality of the pictures as I think my camera is about done for.

From this photo you can see the back of the knob. The knob has a hole in the center for the shaft. Then it has 4 pieces that form a "x" that goes to the outside rim. What I did was to use my dremel to cut a slot across the knob. Next I cut a piece of aluminum about the same width of the notch I made in the knob. I then bent one end to roughly a 90 degree angle. I then bent the other end the opposite direction to a 90 degree angle and trimmed the end off. The space between the ends is the same width of the inside of the knob. I then pressed the aluminum piece into the cut. This is what it looks like next to the shaft. The shaft has the splines on it and a cut down the center. The aluminum fits down the center of the shaft and snugs it on.

When the aluminum piece I made is inserted into the knob it is held in place with the bent ends. The knob then is slid on. Here is what it looks like on.

As I said my camera is on its last leg so to speak and it doesn't take good pictures anymore. But this was a easy fix for the knob. Julie has thousands of knobs but I was really lucky to find a match for this Sparton. The sparton had the dial glass broke so I had to find a similar scan of a sparton. I found this one online but it is not a match. I plan to find the correct one and reprint one. This one I just printed it out and laid it on the the dial. I then cut out a new replacement "glass" window out of plexiglass. It worked great. What I want to do is to find a original dial and print out one on a piece of clear transparency. Then sandwich that between two pieces of plexiglass. But for now it will work. This radio works good other than loosing signals after it warms up. I am almost certain it is one of the tubes, so when I get a decent order together I will get a tube. Anyway this was a quick fix to a problem so I thought I would post it to help others out there.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1394
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Re: Easy knob fix

Post by Dr. Radio on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:07 pm

Creativity wins the race.cheers

Does Julie have a website or sell via internet/e-mail requests?

Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:23 pm

Dr. Radio wrote:Creativity wins the race.cheers

Does Julie have a website or sell via internet/e-mail requests?

She goes by the name of radiopup. Her name is Julie McCall and there is some info to contact her at this page about half way down. She has helped me find knobs I have looked for 20 years for.
http://www.colemancollectorsforum.com/post/looking-for-an-unusual-radio-knob-6829006

willy3486

Number of posts : 1394
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top