Looking for a good powerful vintage receiver

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Looking for a good powerful vintage receiver

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:36 pm

I'm thinking about upgrading from my Onkyo that does around 30WPC. I've been browsing eBay but haven't quite found anything interesting yet. I would like to find something that does around double that and would like to spend somewhere in the 100-150.00 range. With that said what would you guys recommend I look for? I know Pioneer,Onkyo,Marantz and Sansui put out some good vintage receivers in the 70's and 80's but I also know some of them come at a hefty price. I would likely be driving my Warfedale model 60's with the receiver. I have large enough caps in them to handle quite a bit of power. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Re: Looking for a good powerful vintage receiver

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:04 pm

I am wondering if you are going to find anything in your price range. I have some equipment I am going to sell this summer, but not for a price in your budget. Good luck.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:20 pm

If I can't then no big deal. There is nothing wrong with my Onkyo I just wouldn't mind having a bit more ooomph but I really don't need to.. I already P'd off my neighbor last year with my current set up. Maybe I will see about swapping out my speakers with ones that have better highs and some mid's and see if that makes a difference. Since the warfedales only have a small high and no mid. Although i can't complain for having less than 50.00 in them and a little time replacing the crossover cap.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Ramirez on Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:07 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the Wharfedale W60 speakers only designed to handle ~30 watts RMS?

I have a pair of W60s being driven by a Marantz 2215B. Mine sound great, very natural.
Ron Ramirez

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:37 am

I'm not sure what they are designed to handle as far as power, as I replaced the original crossover caps with non polar electrolytic ones. They sound good, but just do not have great highs. It could be due to someone using them despite the caps were bad and let too much of the bass to get in the tweeters. I not only use my stereo for music but to watch TV and movies, so it is running 24/7.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Ramirez on Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:59 pm

I suspect your tweeters are weak. My W60s have plenty of treble, bright highs (but not too bright).
Ron Ramirez

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:42 am

They probably are weak, but i am not going to mess with them. I will just put them up and find some other speakers. I always had plans to eventually put them up so I do not damage the woofers by playing them a little too hard. I imagine the previous owner(s) didn't take care of them.
tuberadiogeek

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top