Stromberg Carlson model 1500

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by Ed in W. PA on Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:44 am

I have a couple of questions about this set. One, what is the function of the capacitor and resistor that connect the B- line to the chassis? In this model they are a 220k resistor and a .05mfd. @ 400v. cap in parallel. Two, can I use a ceramic cap in place of the wax coated paper cap in this application? Three, the scematic shows a dial lamp in this circuit but I can't find any trace of it ever being there. Does anyone have this or a similar with a dial lamp or know where and how it mounts?
Thanks, Ed

Ed in W. PA

Number of posts : 116
Registration date : 2014-02-17

Back to top Go down

Re: Stromberg Carlson model 1500

Post by willy3486 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:53 pm

I am not familiar with this radio but I am guessing its a line filter cap.To make it safer and to filter interference from the line.Maybe someone else can chime in. As far as replacement I use epoxy dipped caps if I can find them,the ceramic caps I use usually have epoxy on them. I mainly match the voltage or better and the farad rating. Usually if it is 1 mf or better I use electrolytic caps and anything below a epoxy or similar. This post makes me wonder if you can even get wax caps anymore?

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed in W. PA on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:17 pm

I think what I need is to research the internet for a tutorial on capacitors. The thing I need to know is what is the difference between a .05mfd @ 600v metalized polyester film capacitor and a .05mfd @ 600v mylar, or silver mica, or ceramic disc, ect. I am sure that there must some reason for all the variations in capacitor design such as tolerance and temperature concerns, but in a AA5 radio isn't .05 @ 600 going to do the same thing no matter what type of capacitor one uses?

Ed in W. PA

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:36 pm

From my experience you can interchange them. I have found if it is a good cap it works. That doesn't mean there are caps out there that won't due to what it is made of or how it is made. I just use what I have and it is usually the epoxy dipped type. I have used types that were used on my stuff but it was because it was all I had on hand and wanted to fix it then and not wait until I needed to place a order.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1392
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed in W. PA on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:56 pm

Thanks for the reply. Once I have satisfied my curiosity I hope to post the results.

Ed in W. PA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ed in W. PA on Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:57 pm

In answer to my own question I have concluded that due to temperature stability, tolerance, drift, and changes in capacity due to changing frequency th
e best choices for radio restoration would be metalized polyester film types. Also equally useful are polyester film and epoxy types.
Thanks for bearing with me, Ed

Ed in W. PA

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top