Windows XP Ending

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows XP Ending

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:15 pm

If you want to keep Windows XP running for a while you need to get all the updates by April 8!

I have wiped and reloaded Windows XP professional on 5 Dell PC's. My XP-Pro disk was an SP-2 so I went to Microsoft and down loaded what was needed to make an upgrade disk to SP-3

PC's that don't require XP for a certain purpose have been upgraded to Windows 7.

Back to top Go down

Re: Windows XP Ending

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:09 pm

I don't understand all the hand-wringing about XP going away. That would be like them coming out with a new supercharged V-8 Mustang, and people lamenting the demise of the Model T. Why is XP so popular?

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:10 pm

WC,

It has to deal with the "amazing" proliferation of the operating system. I copied this from a Wikipedia article:

Windows XP was a major advance from the 9x versions of Microsoft Windows in security, stability and efficiency[5] due to its Windows NT underpinnings.[6] It introduced a significantly redesigned graphical user interface and was the first version of Windows to use product activation in an effort to reduce software piracy.[7] By January 2006, over 400 million copies of Windows XP were in use.[8]

According to web analytics data generated by Net Applications, Windows XP was the most widely used operating system until August 2012, when Windows 7 overtook it.[9] In January 2014, Net Application reported a market share of 29.23% while W3Schools reported a share of 11.0%.[10][11]
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Dr. Radio on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:14 pm

MEZLAW wrote:

PC's that don't require XP for a certain purpose have been upgraded to Windows 7.

I think you made a good decision. Windows 8 was "optimized" for touch control tablets and the like. I do not like it when it comes to "intuitive" operations on a desktop based PC. 8.1 addressed some gripes.
Dr. Radio

Number of posts : 937
Registration date : 2012-09-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:35 pm

We had to replace several of our PCs at work due to the demise of XP. The main issues that we had to address were:
A. Without frequent security updates, XP may become more of a target for hackers & viruses.
B. Software will no longer be written for use with XP, which is a huge problem when it comes to the vast amount of radio programming software that we have to use, which are updated every few months.
C. It was required by Motorola.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:07 pm

Doc, I appreciate the information. I don't understand it, but I appreciate your effort.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:51 pm

Windows XP was the last version to come with Hyperterminal, a program I use in connecting and programming phones systems. These older PC's not only have Hyperterminal, they also have real serial ports which are sometimes required due to the fact USB to serial converters don't always work. There are also many older phone programs that don't move forward with newer version of Windows because the product was MD'd. These phone systems will run for several years and require support.

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:48 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:I don't understand all the hand-wringing about XP going away.  That would be like them coming out with a new supercharged V-8 Mustang, and people lamenting the demise of the Model T.  Why is XP so popular?

Regards

WC

This would be more akin to doing away with all of those incandescent light bulbs in favor of the cfl types. XP works, and I am much more familiar with it than the the later operating systems. They are loaded with many features that are change for changes' sake.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:58 pm

Windows 8 has been a disaster, but it looks like MS finally got the message. I have a computer running 8 and went back to using my 7 because 8 was such a pain, not to mention it was designed for touch screen operation. http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-to-bring-back-start-menu-windowed-apps-to-windows-7000027988/?s_cid=e589&ttag=e589&ftag=TREc64629f
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:39 pm

My computer uses Windows 7, and, I hate it......
First, my old shortcuts no longer work. Secondly, when I'm on ebay, when I try to switch pages, IE crashes. Windows never fixes it, either.
Next, I haven't received any updates from MS in three months. My java won't update, either. I try to update at the request of Avast. my anti virus program, and, it always fails. I've tried five times, and, have had five update failures, and, it wants to update every time I turn the computer on.
I wish I had XP back.
I also had to open Microsoft mail to get my e mail, and, that's got problems, also...
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:27 pm

I use the MS Essentials for antivirus and the fire wall. It is free and probably the best out there. I also use FF as a browser and everything seems to work well together. Because I do have MS Essentials I have the automatic update turned on and it takes care of itself. FYI
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:59 pm

Anyone who has Windows 8 and doesn't like it can install Stardock's Start8 and run Windows 8 as you did windows 7.

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:19 pm

My anti virus is free, and, updates every time I turn on computer.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540

Back to top Go down

Post by kb4yrc on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:19 pm

Google- Classic Shell. - A pgm to make 8 look like XP ...... Gregg

kb4yrc

Number of posts : 104
Registration date : 2008-05-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Greg Davis on Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:01 pm

There's no simple answer to why XP continues to have a following. I've been at the junction between HP and Microsoft (program managing the server OS introductions and enablement) for over 13 years. I've talked to LOTS of customers about why they can't move off older versions of Windows onto newer versions. Here are some of the answers they gave (and they apply as much to the client version as the server version):

1) I'm running old hardware that the new version of Windows no longer recognizes. It has peripheral buses that are no longer supported, devices that require drivers that are no longer in the OS and not available anywhere else. Basically, I'm stuck.

2) I have an application that is only available for the older version of Windows, and the company that developed it has gone out of business. No other application fills that void without a MAJOR investment that I can't make.

3) Changing operating systems means retraining my entire staff. That robs me of MANY hours of productivity and eats deeply into my already razor thin profits.

4) We aren't just running the OS as it comes. We have modified it extensively to meet our needs, and those modifications would have to be made on any OS we used in its place. That's dead investment money, and we can't afford to do that.

5) I can get Windows XP for free. Why should I pay for another version? XP does everything I need it to do. (This was an asian server customer speaking, using the client version of XP on their low end servers.)

6) [XP] was the last version of Windows to natively support 16 bit applications. I need 16 bit application support to run my factory automation environment.

7) If it ain't broke, I don't fix it.

... and so on.
Greg Davis

Number of posts : 277
Registration date : 2014-02-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Apr 06, 2014 3:13 pm

I guess I should be the last one to criticize the XP fans. I held out, using ME until I could not get a new printer, and everybody who held a yard sale had junked their ME stuff. I went from ME to Windows 7 Pro. ME locked up anytime it would even detect graphics, and, of course, Win 7 wades right thru them. ME locked up so bad I would have to unplug the computer from power to reset it. I have had WIN 7 since Feb. 2012, and it has NEVER locked up. The only problem I have with WIN 7 is self-inflicted. Windows 7 will do almost everthing, except overcome my ignorance. I am really surprised at the resistance of business to upgrade their technology. I appreciate a professional prospective.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:04 am

The way I always seen XP was it is was simple to use and easy to understand. I used it for many years and will again if I ever get an older desktop for multimedia usage. I currently use a new laptop with windows 8.1 on it, it came with 8 installed. It operates more like a tablet due to the way it is set up. I only have it since I am going to school and need something fast,portable and reliable. It makes it easy to do research,make power point presentations and type papers. I use windows 7 on some machines at school and it is OK and only slightly better than Vista. All in all, XP was the best OS MS came up with until 7 came out. if you have 8, it just requires some adjusting and getting used to. ME was the worst OS next to the 1st version of 98.. "you have performed an illegal action"....
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:13 am

I have a few copies of windows 7 and it is a good operating system but not as good as XP. That my be my opinion but it is also the opinion of many and for 12 years. I also liked Win 2000 but had to give it up after awhile. If you like XP, that fine, but get a copy of Windows 7 while you still can. Desk top computers and notebooks are becoming like tube radios, old and out dated. Windows 8 is written around tablets and the I-phone. All PC's are old technology and secondary to I-phones and tablets.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:43 pm

I used ME in my business. I had very little problem, as long as I stayed off the Internet and avoided graphics. I could not do my music with ME, but I think the problem with that was one of not enough memory and HD space, rather than ME itself as an OS. I would probably be using it still if I could have gotten hardware to work with it. I never owned XP or Vista.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:04 pm

Windows ME and Windows 2000 was the beginning of the separation of home and office.   Vista has to be the all time worst operating system but Windows 7 is Vista cleaned up.   Everything from Windows 8 and forward will be for the "2 thumbs" crowd.

The version of Windows that each of us like has to do with what each of us are trying to accomplish with a PC.

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:27 pm

I upgraded all my PC's to Windows 7 except for one laptop and that one I use Google Chrome for its browser.
Tony V

Number of posts : 624
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:07 pm

If this windows 8 machine ever has an issue where I have to re-install the OS I will just get a copy of my friends windows 7 master disc. It has every version of windows 7 in 32 and 64 bit and requires no COA. The main problem with the older versions of windows was you had machines that had very little RAM,slow CPU's and minimal HDD space, which didn't allow you to do a whole lot at one time. The best fastest browser you can download is Chrome. It is optimized for speed and efficiency. It will also sync with any mobile devices that use the mobile version and also allows you to download mobile apps from your PC to your android device which is a nice feature if you use android devices. The next best browser is Firefox, but any browser out performs Internet Explorer. All IE is good for is downloading another browser.
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:31 pm

If this windows 8 machine ever has an issue where I have to re-install the OS I will just get a copy of my friends windows 7 master disc. It has every version of windows 7 in 32 and 64 bit and requires no COA.

BE CAREFUL, THAT IS NOT LEGAL!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:38 pm

Firefox has issues with plugins, it will not stop internet software from installing them on your copy of Firefox. Once they are in Firefox you cannot delete them, you can only disable them. You may not like IE but there are sites out there (mostly proprietary business) that require you to use IE. IE is also the best choice for updating Windows and Windows office. As I said in an earlier post we all have different needs.

Wink 

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:17 pm

MEZLAW wrote:If this windows 8 machine ever has an issue where I have to re-install the OS I will just get a copy of my friends windows 7 master disc. It has every version of windows 7 in 32 and 64 bit and requires no COA.

BE CAREFUL, THAT IS NOT LEGAL!!!!!!

Just because that disk doesn't have a COA listed, doesn't mean it's not looking for a specific computer to be installed on to... I'll bet money you'll find because it doesn't match the COA of your machine, it won't activate...

I have two very similar Compaq that have Dell XP installed, second using COA from first, activates without issue and works fine... The one missing it's COA was used off line almost 24/7 for three years as music server for my transmitters, no issue at all... BUT if it sets for a month or so, it wants to see a I-net connection to ask MS if it's OK to load windows (found that out after I went to a different computer, then later tried to use it again)... With it on line the process is seamless, would never know...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top