Online radio...we're doomed.

Post by N7ZAL on Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:43 am

N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Re: Online radio...we're doomed.

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue May 26, 2015 11:38 am

Maybe, but, they said the same thing about analog tv. Analog has made somewhat a comeback via digital converters.
Further, us collectors love our old tube sets.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 26, 2015 12:07 pm

And records are making a comeback. I would not count out broadcast radio just yet. I have heard of AM stations resuming broadcasting music instead of Sports/Talk like we have now.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Motorola man on Tue May 26, 2015 5:28 pm

I made the transition to internet radio years ago. It was a necessity for me. Over the air radio in my neck of the woods is terrible, there isn't a single station worth listening to. I subscribe to Slacker, which in my opinion, offers the most variety of music and more songs than any of the other services that I've tried. With the ability to program my own station and having commercial free listening, I don't mind spending the $4/month, especially since I pretty much always have a radio playing. I have a radio connected to my computer at work, and I stream through my phone when I'm at home or in the car. When I want to fire up one of my tube radios, I use a Bluetooth receiver connected to a talking house transmitter and I can stream to it from my phone or tablet. Embrace the technology, you won't miss listening to crappy music to talk radio.
Motorola man

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2010-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue May 26, 2015 6:13 pm

Many older people, like me for instance, can't always operate all that technology. I don't want to have to use four or five widgets just so I can listen to radio. Four or five widgets that at most any time will not be working properly, and that I have no idea how to fix. Nor does the person in India on the tech team. No thanks. I'll listen to talk radio or sports talk until I get enough. Then I just turn the radio off. Then listen to records. Or CD's. Or silence.

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Tue May 26, 2015 8:55 pm

I use "Radio Sure," :http://www.radiosure.com/ and I can listen to most programs I want, regardless of where they are broadcasted from. Also, if there is a breaking news from an area I can listen in on the local radio news.  Smile

I should add that all one needs is a computer and internet connection.

Last edited by N7ZAL on Tue May 26, 2015 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add text)
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by tuberadiogeek on Wed May 27, 2015 10:21 pm

I have used Spotify in the past and do currently have a free Pandora account I use on my Roku. However both Spotify and Pandora are only used occasionally. I still listen to the radio, but all the decent stations seem to have their music on a loop after a certain time of day. Which means you hear the same songs over and over until the next day. However most of the time I will just play my own music off of my computer or MP3 player. Either one can easily be played through my receiver or headphones. My few tube radios are usually only used on occasion when I want to see where all I can get AM stations from. Eventually online and satellite radio may wipe out a majority of OTA radio, but I don't think it will completely wipe it out. You will always have a small percentage of people out there that does not have internet or satellite to listen to the "radio".
tuberadiogeek

Number of posts : 665
Registration date : 2013-02-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top