Philips radiogram help

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Philips radiogram help

Post by ivanjon on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks Jerry , yes you are correct the turntable is not working and yes I do have a noise through the speaker when I touch the cartridge and it gets louder as I turn up the volume , my problem is I know nothing about the mechanism , I have down loaded a manual for the AG 1000 but it is in Dutch but in saying that it will come in handy as it has great expanded drawings of the mechanism , I am about to explore two possibilities 1/ turntable motor 2/ rubber wheel , that is as far as I have got but there again there could be an electrical wire off somewhere so the turntable may not even be getting power ,I must stress too that I am no electrical expert and am not all that knowledgeable in Radiograms ,I just like a challenge and love restoring old things
cheers
Ivan
ivanjon

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:44 pm

You said you had a loud hum when you touched the needle. Didn't you? That's usually a bad cartridge.
Turntable not turning could very welll be a very gummed up changer.

Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 4537
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:38 pm

If you should have a problem with a word or phrase when your translator isn't available, this is a good site to translate other languages to English.

http://www.bing.com/translator/?ref=TThis&from=es-ES&to=en-US
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by ivanjon on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:04 pm

I have tried the bing translator plus others as well but the manual I down loaded is a scanned copy so therefore its a picture of the manual and wont translate
ivanjon

Back to top Go down

Post by ivanjon on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:10 pm

Hi Bill I did say it was a hum when I touched the cartridge and as I have no idea whether this is good bad or what ever, I can only pass on to you all the evidence at hand, so I might get someone who can tell me what is wrong and how to fix it and I am sure there will be differences of opinion when it comes down to what it is and how to fix it ,so what I do then is not differentiate one from another, I take all the info and try everything from that ,at least I have some chance and not poking around in the dark, so please everyone keep the ideas coming ,it matters not that it may differ from our colleague's. I am just grateful for any help at all and will follow up on all information received
thanks everyone
Ivan
ivanjon

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:43 pm

Ivan, Bill is no doubt correct if what you hear is a HUMMMM when touching the stylus. It should make a scratchy sound if you lightly draw a finger across it.
You really need to take the turntable off the record player to see if the motor is running when you set the system to phono and turn on the turn table. Generally there is a small "C" clip on the spindle shaft that needs to be removed and the platter can be lifted off. Try not to loose the "C" clip as they have a tendency to fly off and land somewhere where you can never find them. Very Happy Very Happy 
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Number of posts : 731
Registration date : 2012-10-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ivanjon on Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:45 pm

cheers Jerry ,yes I must say it is a scratchy sound rather than a hum to be honest so I think I am good there but will take your advice to take the table off ,where is the c clip underneath ?
ivanjon

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:00 am

Hi Ivan, it should be visible from on top based on the few changers I have worked on. Where the spindle that holds the records goes through the platter. Others may be more familiar with your changer or an exploded parts diagram should show it.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by ivanjon on Sun Apr 06, 2014 1:52 am

cheers everyone will get on to it after I have done the chores listed by she who MUST be obeyed ha ha ha
ivanjon

Back to top Go down

Post by ivanjon on Sun Apr 06, 2014 5:30 am

Thanks Jerry I took the circlip off and tried to prise the table up but there seems to be something holding it back ,I don't want to force it and break it , the exploded view from the manual does not give a clear vision ,any ideas anyone ????
cheers
IVAN
ivanjon

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Sun Apr 06, 2014 4:01 pm

Hopefully Bill will chime in as he is very experienced on TTs. My only suggestion would be to set the speed changing lever in between two speeds to move the idler off the turntable and see if that helps.
Best, Jerry

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:24 pm

First, the turntable must be able to spin freely when not engaged. When turned on, is motor running. Do you see the shaft spinning?
Does the idler wheel spin freely? There should be NO oil on the rubber tire, the turntable rim, or, motor shaft.....
Is there a white grease on moving parts? If so, that's likely your trouble. It is just plain gummed up, needs a good proper cleaning, and, proper oiling.. Same with other changer mechanisms.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:40 pm

Bill he cant get the turntable off yet as it is stuck.
Tony V

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ivanjon on Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:40 pm

If I could get the turntable off I might be able to see all these things Bill is indicating and hopefully get a positive result ,it slowly slowly keep trying suggestions , I will not be beat
ivanjon

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:29 am

Try WD 40 on turntable hub to loosen up the grease. Don't pry. That can make a lot of damage.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Tony V on Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:19 pm

In case the original poster doesn't know what WD 40 is being from Australia..WD 40 is a penetrating oil used to free up frozen metal's and ect. The hub is where the center spindle comes up through the turntable.
Tony V

Number of posts : 592
Registration date : 2008-09-13

Back to top Go down

Post by ivanjon on Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:04 pm

Hi Tony I did wd40 I think it is universally called that and they tell me it has 100 other uses too even spray on fish bait to get more fish mmm not sure about that though here is a list of what it is supposed to do http://www.wd40.com.au/wd-40/2000-uses
I sprayed it yesterday and all underneath too into the mechanism so will try today to prise it off , it seems something is holding it back not sure what but will investigate that again today
cheers thanks for all the advice it is so welcoming
ivanjon

Back to top Go down

Post by jerryhawthorne on Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:03 pm

Ivan, did you try setting the speed lever between two speeds? This should lift the idler off the turntable rim.

jerryhawthorne

Back to top Go down

Post by ivanjon on Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:14 pm

Yes Jerry I did but will try everything later today or tomorrow I just have to take it easy for a few days as I had an injection of cortisone in my hip yesterday and they have told me to take it easy fror a few days while it does it work on the bursitis so bending twisting kneeling is all out for a couple of days but will get back with a report later in the week thanks again guy it is such a help to me and I am learning something new every day all because of the expertise of members of this forum , just as an aside are there any other Aussies on this forum
cheers
ivan
ivanjon

Back to top Go down

Post by Bill Cahill on Tue Apr 08, 2014 12:46 pm

On Aussies, not that I'm aware of. On shot, it's been more like over a week with me. I have severe arthritis in both legs, and, my back. Just received my last cortisone shots a week ago yesterday. Still hurting, but, now, it's improving slightly.
It may vary with the weather.
On turntable, put the WD40 on center turntable hub above as well. That's whre some of the biggest amount of grease lubrication is.

Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:52 pm

Ron Pond is from Australia, I believe.
75X11

Number of posts : 4900
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Ron Pond on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:10 am

Just saw this thread. I'm from Perth in Western Australia.....about as far as you can get from Hobart as you can get in this country. My wife was born on King Island, Tasmania.

The problem with some of the older Philips turntables is that the turntable platter will bind to the spindle and it can be difficult to remove it, even when the circlip is removed.

I use a big old 100W soldering iron and hold it on the spindle as close as I can get to the platter. Two screwdrivers under the platter at opposite sides are used to lever up the platter while applying the heat. Sometimes you need three hands to do this!

After a few minutes, the platter will jump loose. The old grease has dried out on the spindle and this is what binds it to the platter. Heating it the way I described will melt the grease without damaging any part of the mechanism.

You shouldn't have sprayed WD40 or anything else all over the mechanism, as it will work its way onto the idler wheel, where you definitely don't want it to be. Remove excess WD40 with spray contact cleaner and apply light oil EXCEEDINGLY SPARINGLY on shafts, pivots, bearings and sliding parts.

With regard to the cartridge, a good crystal cartridge will deliver about 3V dc when the needle is lightly stroked with the finger. Anything less than about .75 volts may indicate a faulty crystal in the cartridge. The crystal is made from a substance called Rochelle salt, which is hygroscopic, which is to say it will over the years, absorb moisture from the atmosphere and actually dissolve itself. This is indicated by that greenish gunk you can see oozing out from the cartridge at various points.

Take a pic of the cartridge and post it here on TRF.....I have lots of good old Philips cartridges and may be able to help if it turns out yours is not working.

Ron.
Ron Pond

Number of posts : 107
Registration date : 2009-01-21

Back to top Go down

Post by ivanjon on Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:43 am

Thanks for all that Ron ,I thought I was the only Ozzie on here ,I did post some pics before of the cartridge also I am still having a devil of a job to get the platter off so will try and see if your method works , I have been using two screw divers to try and lever it up ,it comes up so far but something is holding it back , also you would not have a couple of Philips 6.3V 32A bulbs to spare as the dial bulbs have blown , well one has
ivanjon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top