"Rust in the Dust" car show

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Rust in the Dust" car show

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:16 pm

I had the honor of ALMOST attending the fourth annual "Rust in the Dust" (name has been changed to protect the innocent) Car Show. Run by a car club populated by old geezers who should know better. I was told that if I pre-registered, I would park "on the grass, in the shade." I should know by now that NO car show worth going to is EVER in the shade. It is always in the hottest parking lot this side of you-know-where. Some entrants may have parked "on the grass, in the shade", but I was going to get to park "in the horse pen, in three inches of powder-fine dust." I was pre-registered. Methinks that the old geezers in charge parked their buddies "on the grass, in the shade" and to hell with some other old geezer in a shiny black Buick. I turned around and headed for the shed. I worked all day, cleaning my car, and I did not make it to the show field. I went back down there in the frau's car to take pictures. There were several nice cars parked out in that fine dust. Do I ever feel sorry for those guys. This is THE worst car show I have ever been to in my entire life. The dust was so bad that engine fans and tail pipes turned up dust as the cars ran. The engine in my Buick looked like it had been in the old Massey-Harris out plowing in the field. Rant over now, I'm beat, thanks for listening.  affraid 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5282
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: "Rust in the Dust" car show

Post by ivanjon on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:33 pm

Feeling for yer buddy I have a fully restored 1951 Morris Minor side valve and same thing happened we were parked in a field next to moto cross motor bikes zooming around kicking up dust so much it could be see for miles ,not happy that day and will not be taking aby blue out to that show
http://i60.tinypic.com/b7bfc5.jpg
ivanjon

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:40 pm

Sometimes, the work that it takes to get a car ready for a show is not appreciated. I have gone to shows put on by organizations that are not "car people." This show was put on by a hot rod car club of some local repute. They should know better. It cost $30 to get into this show. I sent the appropriate "hate mail", but expect that my protest will fall on deaf ears. I will not enter next year. Simple.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:08 pm

There ought to be another show for you. Anyway, any show you can get some good pics in is a pleasant event too.
75X11

Number of posts : 5019
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:21 am

I was not a total loss. I got some good pictures, my car detailing was not destroyed, and I won my class the next day. There is no such thing as a worthless car show. AND, somebody else had to clean the dust off THEIR car.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by ivanjon on Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:42 am

It is worse still when someone either strokes the paintwork like its an animal or they lean on the car ,not good when its covered in dust not good for the paintwork
ivanjon

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2014-04-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:39 am

Sometimes people don't understand how nerve racking an auto show can be. Many times they are out in a field and rain will put you in the mud or it's so darn dry that your nice finish is covered with grit and then some novice wants to rub his/her hand all over your car. Then there's the gust of wind which will blow someone's crap right into your car.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:29 pm

My dear frau is absolutely a "junkyard dog" at car shows.  Bicycles, baby strollers, walkers, and wheel chairs have no place at a car show, BETWEEN the cars!  They can operate in front of the cars all they like, but God love them if they try to come down between cars.  She will tell them in no uncertain terms, and does not care whether they are offended or not.  Her point, well taken, is that their "excuse me" will not pay for the damage to a car after they hit it.  Another of her favorite sayings is "IF you don't own it, don't touch it."  

People do not intend to be rude.  They just don't know better.  I enjoy showing my car and answering the same question 40 times a day.  It says on the sign what year it is, yet everybody has to ask.  And then they say that their grandpa/uncle/ father/neighbor had one just like it, only theirs was a green four door '62 LeSabre with blackwall tires and red interior.  Identical to my black '63 Electra two door.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 75X11 on Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:07 pm

I remember when I was in grade school and the other of 2 second grade teachers bought a new '63 wildcat in fire ehgine red. it was the first car I saw that had both a console and a console shifter, I always think about that during the opening of 'A Christmas Story' when they show the kids' faces stuck to the department store window. That must have been what we looked like each recess each day for 6 months we would swarm around that car like insects to sugar water. The principal used to chase us off telling us to go look at his car. He had a Chevy II. And no takers.
75X11

Number of posts : 5019
Registration date : 2013-03-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top