Checking Voltage

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Checking Voltage

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:32 pm

Just curious what everyone uses to check voltage while working on radios. Do you use a VTVM, analog VOM, or a new digital meter?

Back to top Go down

Re: Checking Voltage

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:35 pm

VTVM. I have three. I have a couple of old multimeters, too, a Triplett and a Simpson. I do not like digital except to measure resistors. The meter bounces around too much for my eyes. An analog meter is easier for me to keep an eye on.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:38 pm

I use my fluke. I do have a older meter but I need to go through it. I wanted to find a old Simpson, the kind with a case but the one I found that I need to go through is really similar to one and suppose to work. The digital Fluke I have is the best one I have ever used or had. I bought it when they had a lifetime warranty. It does bounce around but it is the meter I have had working for years while my others were dead. I have sent many a meter to a early junkbox grave.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:45 pm

I have a couple of digital Flukes, we used them in the phone company. Mine are model 8020B and are from the 1980. I have a lot of old Radio Shack analog meters because I collect them. I did have an Accurate VTVM from the late 1960's but have no idea what happened to it.

Back to top Go down

Post by N7ZAL on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:47 pm

The main advantage of an analog meter is for "peaking" circuits. To find a dip in voltage it is nearly impossible with a digital. However for accurate voltage measurements a digital has the edge. JMO
N7ZAL

Number of posts : 501
Registration date : 2011-11-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:51 pm

My Fluke died.  Nothing works, and it is not the battery or the fuse.  Are those things repairable, or should I toss it?  I have had the thing 20 years, or more.

I think most people use what they are familiar with and feel comfortable with. As long as you get the job done, the method is immaterial.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:55 pm

This is the model I own;

http://www.radiomuseum.org/r/fluke_multimeter_8020b.htmlWhich meter do you have?

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:39 am

I don't have it here. I bought mine off the Snap-On truck. I had to have it to work on engine management components. Mine just up and died one day. Methinks I put voltage thru it set on ohms. I have been known to do that. That does not hurt analog meters. Sometimes.  Rolling Eyes 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:21 am

After using a digital for over 20 years before I retired, they are about all I'll use... After a while you learn how to peak with them but if it's super critical, I'll use a scope(have four of those)... Tektronics w freq counter, Hitachi, B&K & Meguro..

I have two Simpson model 461 LED and a LCD 467 that get most of my quality time, unlike the LCD, the LED can be read at a glance... There's also a ECG LCD and a couple $2.99 Harbor Freight specials that are just as accurate as the Simpsons...  Only working analog meter I have is a old Simpson 260, but there are a couple large Eico VTVM(planning on restoring one), at least one RCA, and probably a half dozen smaller meters from various suppliers...

I paid $20(incl ship) for four 461 on ebay for parts(one was said to work).. Needed a case for the 467, but found two of the 461 were fine, wound up being my favorite meters...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Doug Burskey on Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:57 am

A vintage  Fluke 8100A with a nixie tube display. and a Hewlett-Packard 400H AC VTVM. Both of these were trash rescues from where I used to work.

Doug Burskey

Number of posts : 226
Registration date : 2011-06-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top