"Proper soundstage and image"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

"Proper soundstage and image"

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:15 pm

What does "proper soundstage and image" mean?  The subject was some poster (on another forum)  was making the claim that a Zenith Y-960 solid state stereo from 1968, sounded better than his Concert Grand.  The poster also cited "coherency between the drivers" as a star feature of his Zenith.  "Scuse me, but we are talking about a stereo.  You get an image on a TV.  I hear Connie Francis on a stereo.  Methinks I have been bamfoozled by audiophoolery, again.   Rolling Eyes   The poster did not mention what he was smoking when he came to this conclusion, however.  A Zenith of any kind better than a Magnavox?  I'd have to see it, to believe it.  I offered to take the Concert Grand off his hands, strictly as a humanitarian gesture, you understand.   bounce 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Number of posts : 5168
Registration date : 2011-09-19

Back to top Go down

Re: "Proper soundstage and image"

Post by willy3486 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:22 pm

I think that soundstage means the location of the height,depth and length of the sound. In other words if a guitar is to the left and 3 feet off the floor when recorded then on playback the guitar will sound like it is in the same place. And if a Piano is to the right it will sound on the right when played. Image is when you can tell what kind of instrument when played. In other words you can tell the difference between a alto sax and a tenor sax. That is what they are the best I remember.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:26 pm

A sound stage is for film making and is indoors away from noise. I worked on a sound stage for Universal studios.

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:29 pm

Thanks, Willy. So this guy means "realism and fidelity." Got it. Why didn't he just say that?  Rolling Eyes 

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by willy3486 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:33 pm

No problem Wildcat445. I think he didn't say that as he wanted to sound like a genius as to impress everyone. I work with a fellow that if he hears folks talking about a subject he will google it and then come in and talk all about it.

Mezlaw I am jealous. What memories it must be if you see the movie or show you worked on. I saw the filming for a show called the bearcats when I was a kid. I lived in Tuscon and it was being filmed in Old Tuscon.

willy3486

Number of posts : 1400
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:43 pm

How about "coherency between the drivers." That sounds like two people out on a date.  Very Happy 

I'm glad you are here to straighten me out, Willy and MEZ.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:48 pm

Willy, I worked on a movie called Evan Almighty. If you watch that movie and look at the credits at the end you will see my company listed; L&S Communications Group Inc.

Back to top Go down

Post by justradios on Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:04 pm

Wildcat445 wrote:So this guy means "realism and fidelity."  Got it.  Why didn't he just say that?
Because that's not what he meant.

In English, words can have more than one meaning. Soundstage is a place where performances are recorded, but in audio terms it also refers to the playback of a recording that creates a 2-D or 3-D acoustic "image" in front of you. A good stereo recording played back on a good, properly set-up stereo system will allow you to hear not just what instruments are to the left and right of you, but which ones are in front and in back. You can hear in an orchestra recording that there is a piano on the left and that it's sitting in front of the violins and that behind the violins is the percussion section and that the trumpets are in the middle towards the left.

The goal of a true audiophile isn't to spend the most money on the stupidest of things, but rather to try to make the playback of a recording sound as much like the original live performance as possible. I would wager that a lot of the people who make fun of audiophile hobbyists have never experienced a true audiophile-quality system and never heard this phenomenon. It's actually quite amazing to experience closing your eyes and listening to something and hearing a three dimensional audio image hanging in the air in front of you.

Different recording and playback systems affect what you hear and how you perceive it. At times the "soundstage" created makes the orchestra seem smaller than it should be. At times a multi-miked recording will create images of instruments that seem wrongly sized in comparison to each other, i.e. a giant guitar or a tiny piano.

Listening to a simple recording of a small group like Jazz at the Pawnshop on an audiophile quality system is almost magical. It's not just about fidelity, it's about recreating a listening experience. Scoff and deride all you like. You're simply being proud of sounding ignorant.

justradios

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2014-03-30

Back to top Go down

Post by 35Z5 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:02 pm

justradios wrote:. Scoff and deride all you like. You're simply being proud of sounding ignorant.

Maybe... Still there are enough volume of snake oil products sold to the audio crowd to know there are a LARGE group that are phools...
35Z5

Number of posts : 461
Registration date : 2008-03-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:58 pm

justradios wrote: Scoff and deride all you like. You're simply being proud of sounding ignorant.

Welcome to TRF justradios, glad to have you as a member and look forward to your expertise. I would like to take this time to point out one very big difference with TRF and other forums; We do not condone personal attacks! Your post was very informative, but in the future, please refrain from personal attacks.

Thank you in advance for your understanding, we are a friendly group.

Back to top Go down

Post by justradios on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:06 pm

35Z5 wrote:a LARGE group that are phools...
The proper spelling is Fools. And yes, I know it's supposed to be funny. Calling a group of hobbyists fools is also personal.

I apologize and accept the apology in return.

justradios

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:46 pm

First, welcome to TRF. We are a good bunch of folks here, and we treat each other with respect. We have discussions with difference of opinion, without making personal attacks. We invite spirited debate, and welcome differing points of view, but we ask that you show the same respect that you deserve.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by justradios on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:04 pm

I apologized for my remark. I'm not allowed to be offended by being labeled a "phool"?

I guess I don't understand the nuances here.

My sincere apologies to all I have offended.

justradios

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:09 pm

Not to worry, lets all hit the reset and start over, it's OK to defend yourself.  

Back to top Go down

Post by Wildcat445 on Sun Mar 30, 2014 10:23 pm

Relax, justradios. Nobody was offended that I know about. Our concern was one of protecting the integrity of our forum. You were not labeled anything. You were not the person to whom I referred. I did not know you existed until 30 minutes ago.

There are no "nuances" here. We ask that you treat people like you would want to be treated, and call it a day. Apology accepted. Let's move forward, and forget about it.

Regards

WC

Wildcat445

Back to top Go down

Post by justradios on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:05 pm

It wasn't you that referred to me as a "phool."

There are nuances. It's ok to refer to people not directly posting in a topic without respect?

""Scuse me, but we are talking about a stereo. You get an image on a TV. I hear Connie Francis on a stereo."
"The poster did not mention what he was smoking"
"So this guy means "realism and fidelity." Got it. Why didn't he just say that?"
"How about "coherency between the drivers." That sounds like two people out on a date."
"a LARGE group that are phools"

I'm not interested in arguing. Yes, I said "proud of sounding ignorant." I apologized for it. Twice. But nevertheless, I will apologize to you directly for the remark. I wasn't meant to be a personal attack. It was a generalization of people who like to throw around the term "audiophool" to deride hobbyists as if it didn't refer to anyone at all. THAT doesn't show respect.

Apologies to all.

justradios

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:10 pm

The best apology would be to let this die!

Now!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top